Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Proposed Forum Project: Library for Tourist Attendants
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can I suggest we also think about providing things like jigsaw puzzles and puzzle books as well? And what about simple childrens books so that they can read their children stories when they do return home?

Providing simple wood work tools for those that want to try their hand at carving wood may also be helpful.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

What a great idea Jumbo! :thumbs_up: We're planning to visit KTP sometime in 2011 ( such a very very very very long time away :( )so hopefully your idea will be up and running and as we're planning to drive from CT we can pick up any contributions as well as our own. :D 8)

Trip Reports:
The stuff of daydreams ... - Kruger
Kalahari Dreamin' - KTP
Just What the Doctor Ordered - West Coast, Augrabies, KTP

Next Trip : September 2012 - Agulhas, Tankwa & KTP :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:30 am 

we've always had magazines to give the guys at wilderness camps and find they're pretty keen on either english or afrikaans, welcoming the chance to improve their english. where there's a particular interest in learning about birds or trees or grasses, we've been able to donate books as well. but the things they always ask for are newspapers. so in future, we shan't travel to KTP without picking up a few afrikaans newspapers along the way.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:38 pm 

This project is a great idea. I have never been to the wilderness camps -- only the 3 main ones -- but will be in Grootkolk in January. I'll definitely remember to pick up newspapers in Upington.

I live in Belgium and I'm bringing my camping gear by plane with me but any spare kilograms will be devoted to English books. A silly question maybe but I'll give it a try : I (more or less :roll: ) understand Afrikaans when I read it because I speak Dutch. Would books in Dutch be a welcome addition to the future library :doh: ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Probably not Sawaddeekha. The languages are supposed to be almost the same but they are not.

What about jigsaw puzzles? Puzzle books. A pack of cards to play Patience?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:39 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I agree. I don't think the languages are close enough for Dutch books to be really useful. With a little practice, an Afrikaans speaking person will understand some of what is written. But given the context and practicality, it would make much more sense to bring English books, or buy Afrikaans books locally.

The majority of the people in the Northern Cape are Afrikaans orientated. Most will be able to understand English reasonably well.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:33 am 

Thanks for your replies. Guess I'm stuck with my books in Dutch :tongue: .

I'll bring as much as I can in English from Europe, and buy some newspapers etc. in Upington. Shall I deposit the books & newspapers at Nossob or directly at Grootkolk ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:25 am 
I think we should just wait till we get into contact with somebody in the park that will be able to help us put this into practice.
This person should also be able to help us find out what the guys need and prefer. I spoke to Eric at Grootkolk….but think it will help to get the input of all the other guys as well.

Meanwhile, if any of you visit these camps, you can already take books, newspapers etc along…..these guys will always appreciate it. 8)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:02 pm 

Please give us a few more days to find a contact
Nearly done

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:35 pm 

Ok guys. time to pitch in.... :roll:

We started a Honorary Rangers region for Kgalagadi a week ago and are just waiting for our paperwork to be finished. We have chosen our management team (committee) and things will hopefully fall in place soon. We are 9 people involved (5 male and 4 female - couples)...okay 5 + 4 does not add up, but one guy's wife could not make it for the meeting we had with Dr Flip van Staden and his team in Tankwa Karoo NPark.

We all reside in Upington and our Chairman (person?) Rudi Beukes is working in the Park fulltime at this stage as he is in charge of the upgrading of the road between Samevloeiing and Melkvlei as well as a section on the TR Mata Mata road. He sleeps at Rooiputs most of the time. :mrgreen:

As soon as we have out first meeting (It should be held on a monthly basis) I will discuss this brilliant idea with the rest of the team. We will then have to discuss it with the Park Manager and HR Headoffice, etc and if they approve, :rtm: we can launch the project.

In the meantime I think Magazines and newspapers are a super idea and they can be given as presents to these guys.

The hardcover and paperbacks could be handled like in a library, but the only problem is that the HRangers are not always in the park to handle this and we would need to make use of Sanparks personell to do this for us. I don't know if they will be willing to (or could be spared) do this, but it's worth a try.

I am willing to receive all the books in Upington if you want to drop it off with me (I'm a serious bookworm myself) and will channel it onwards when the project is approved. :D

As soon as I have news in this regards (as well as our approval as HR's) I will let you know.

Who knows. maybe this could be our first project and if I look at all you guys' positive remarks, there is no reason to believe that it would not be successful as well. :clap: :clap:

Being Afrikaans myself (Obviously) I hope that you can understand my English and I think it would be great if these guys can improve their English (If need be) in order to chat with overseas visitors, etc. :whistle:

Greetings :dance:

Banna van der Merwe

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Something is moving, wonderful :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:39 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Banna,

Could you give us guidelines at some stage as to what books would be most useful or interesting to these people?

Do they come together over weekends or days off at Nossob...and if so would simple board games be of interest to them?

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:56 pm 

Hi SnowZee
I'll try to find that out and let you lkmpw
Greetings
Banna

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Banna..

It would be unkind to load them up with everything except what they are interested in. It would also be nice to know if they already have English dictionaries or if someone needs to bring a few.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:31 pm 

Quote:
Hi Bert
Thanx. I know Henriette and will discuss this matter with her.
Greetings
Banna

Banna has the same contact the mods have and Banna being a HR ranger of the new
region KTP the mods believe that he is the best suited person to organize and discuss
the library with KTP :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next