Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to braai
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:43 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

JL! Our posts crossed in cyber space. Seems you have it down to a fine art! :thumbs_up:

Micetta! If there is space in your boot... :lol: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Actually, we had some bits on our grill in Satara from someone else and a piece of crumpled tinfoil cleaned it up great, once it had been heated up!
We also used charcoal/wood combination. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:23 am 

Giraffe wrote:
How to braai? What do I need besides the meat?

Besides the meat?
Fresh salad, :tongue:
some potatos, :tongue:
maybe smashed, :tongue: :tongue:
beans, :whistle:
corn, :lol:

Even if you´re based in a two bed hut without any crockery/cutlery,
you will find that indigenous, basic Kruger-Braai-Facility: The three-pod-braai-center.
Additionally, you will only need 1 aluminium-pot, 2 plastic-bowls,
some aluminium-foil, your own outdoor-cutlery & plates, one barbecue-tong.
Spices at your own gusto, oil and vinegar.
And some sun-downer, like gin-tonic, coke&bourbon (famous grouse whiskey for me!!)
That´s it basically.

I prefer one bigger squarish plastic-bowl (transport of barbecue-tools, vegetables & for washing up) and a round one in the size of a salad-bowl.

A good choice of meat can be purchased in all Kruger-Shops.
Also fresh vegetables, potatos and tinned food.
(I believe, your´re aware of that)

Prepare your fire with wood - my opinion. :naughty:
Don´t use charcoal. Acacia is my favour! :dance:
Can be purchased in almost every Camp-Shop.

It´s pretty easy to fix the time, you can start to put the meat on:
Let 5-10 minutes go, after the fire went down.
Before that - let the sundowners on stage! :tongue:
Move the grid over the blaze as soon as possible - the grid will be sterilised in minutes.
(Don´t waste too much time in cleaning the grid before)
Now - If the grid needs a cleaning - use a clew of aluminium-foil and rub the dirt away.
If you like to have some potatos/corn with your meat,
start with cooking them on the grid in the aluminium-pot.
Check with knife or fork, if readily cooked.
Take the pot away and let the barbecue begin! :clap:
Now you will need the tong.
Don´t treat the meat with forks! :naughty:

A good piece of beef/game will be done in 5 to 10 minutes each side.
I don´t like it well-done. 7-10 minutes for the whole piece is my gusto.
Sausages need more time - they must be well done.

Enjoy! :tongue:

I also tried to bake a simple bread in the last glow of the ash.
It needs some flour, water and salt.
Try it - delicious!

Cheers,
freeclimb-64

dec 2010: Transfrontier

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@Elzet: I did say above I could go on at length :)

A lot of people also use half an onion to clean the grid.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Oh, and if anyone wants a personal course on how to braai, I'd be too pleased to oblige. All you have to do is provide me with lodging and transport to a Sanpark, and my time is all yours :)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
joshilewis wrote:
A lot of people also use half an onion to clean the grid.

:thumbs_up: Works very well !

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:58 am 

Giraffe, on the topic of making the fire. I know that some people battle with this if they have never done it before or even if they have not done it for a long time. There is however a quick fix solution available in the park now. It's called a "Braai Boks", it works real well. It is a square box made out of wood with charcoal inside it wrapped in newspaper with one fire lighter sticking out one side and clearly marked. All you do is put the box where you want your fire and light the fuse. You then sit back enjoying a cold one while watching the flames destroy the box. Once the coals take the entire structure collapses onto itself and you have a perfect instant braai fire. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This does work well Sprocky, however I find that method quite wasteful. The amount of charcoal in those boxes is usually a lot more than I would use for a typical braai. (Yes I am miserly when it comes to charcoal and firelighters.)

@Giraffe: One thing I didn't mention earlier is the height of the grid. Its quite important that the height of the grid above the coals is correct. If it is too high, you'll be there for a long time and won't make good use of your coals. This is especially important with quicker-burning fuel like uncompressed charcoal and wood.

If the grid is too low, you'll either burn your meat or you'll have to turn it too often (interferes with beer drinking).

Another point: If during your braai some fat drips onto the coals and causes a flame, just pour a little water (or beer if no-one is watching and the tap is far away) onto the source of the flame. This will stop the flame without killing the fire. Don't pour too much liquid, or you will kill the fire.

Does anyone want my tips on roasting marshmallows? I've not had an unsatisfied customer yet!

I hope my friends don't read this, I may lose my coveted status as braai-master extraordinaire!

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:05 am 

Would love some posts on the preperation of the meat. Some real experts here.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dakka wrote:
Would love some posts on the preperation of the meat. Some real experts here.

There I can't give you advice. I usually take my meat from the freezer and put it straight on the braai (yes I braai frozen meat, and it comes out great!). The only prep I might do is let the steaks age in the fridge for a couple of days (they're usually vacuum packed too).

What I do occasionally do is for steaks only: lightly score the steak on each side, rub each steak on both sides with your favourite marinade (I use a well-known brand of peri-peri) and let them sit for a day or so in the fridge.

Anything else is done by the butcher. Then again, I have quite a good butcher. Good marinaded chickens, good spiced ribs etc. (I wouldn't really recommend them to most people though, they're Kosher and a lot more expensive.)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

joshilewis wrote:
I usually take my meat from the freezer and put it straight on the braai (yes I braai frozen meat, and it comes out great!).

Very interesting Josh. I have braaied semi frozen meat in the past, but I have always felt that it came out a bit tough (taai) then! :hmz:

Getting back to the fire. That is one part of braaing I enjoy very much and I tend to go big. I always use a whole pack of blitz and when I'm braaing with compressed charcoal alone I use the whole bag (4 kg or preferable 5 kg)! NOTHING frustrates me more than trying to braai with a "cold" or "small" fire!

During our last 4 or 5 visits to the KNP, the available wood in the shops wasn't that great and I used half a bag of wood together with half a bag of charcoal.

Meat is also rather important. I prefer not to use marinade. The reason for that is that I like to taste and smell the meat and not the marinade. I also prefer not to use those pre-mix braai spices. The best for me is salt, pepper and a few drops of vinegar (dark one)!! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:40 am 

one of my favourites is doing a fillet with no spice at all, I don't even dirty the braai grid. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

TheunsH wrote:
joshilewis wrote:
I usually take my meat from the freezer and put it straight on the braai (yes I braai frozen meat, and it comes out great!).

Very interesting Josh. I have braaied semi frozen meat in the past, but I have always felt that it came out a bit tough (taai) then! :hmz:

Well its Kosher meat to begin with, which isn't always the greatest, so...
I've never had issues with braaiing straight from frozen.

TheunsH wrote:
Getting back to the fire. That is one part of braaing I enjoy very much and I tend to go big. I always use a whole pack of blitz and when I'm braaing with compressed charcoal alone I use the whole bag (4 kg or preferable 5 kg)! NOTHING frustrates me more than trying to braai with a "cold" or "small" fire!

Wow! a 5kg back of compresses charcoal can easily last me 3-4 braais (obviously depending on size).

TheunsH wrote:
During our last 4 or 5 visits to the KNP, the available wood in the shops wasn't that great and I used half a bag of wood together with half a bag of charcoal.

I had an issue with wet wood once in MZNP. Had to fry the wors on the skottel in the end.

TheunsH wrote:
Meat is also rather important. I prefer not to use marinade. The reason for that is that I like to taste and smell the meat and not the marinade.

I agree completely.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:54 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree Sprocky...NO spices on fillet is a winner! :thumbs_up:

joshilewis wrote:
Wow! a 5kg back of compresses charcoal can easily last me 3-4 braais (obviously depending on size).

:lol: :lol:
I know Josh and you are correct! Usually we braai big...potatoes and sometimes onions in tin, meat, wors and tomato/onion bread and the last thing I need is a small fire! :twisted:

Here in Pretoria, I braai with a Weber when I'm feeling lazy and not in a mood to stand around the fire. I use approximately half a bag of compressed charcoal in my Weber. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Re charcoal. For me the best charcoal is the ones that are not compressed. I only buy the Sudwest brand in the blue bag(I have a friend that braai every single day of his life and he uses only the above.)

Try the following with potatoes: Take a couple of decent size potatoes and poke them all over with a fork. Then melt some butter and roll the potatoes in the melted butter(this is a bit messy to do). Then put some salt on the potatoes and cover them properly with heavy alluminium foil. Start your fire and put the potatoes on the edge of your fire. They will slowly start to heat up as your fire start getting hotter. Never put the in the middle of the fire(always on the edge of the fire) because they will burn on the outside. Turn regularly and by the time your meat is done your potatoes will also be ready to be enjoyed with butter and everything else that you want to put on.

Bon apetite.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next