Skip to Content

Balule Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule Satellite Camp

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 am

Utensils are not supplied for travellers, so it would be important to get the basics.
There is also no electricity, so stocking up with some form of lighting would also be essential.
There is a communal freezer and boiling water is available in the communal kitchen.

Are you staying at any other camps?
Many things can be purchased in Phalaborwa, Hazyview or Hoedspruit.
I find that the prices are better and the range of goods is wider than the camp shops.

You would need the basic cutlery, plates, cups and utensils.
Don't forget the barbeque equipment either. I also like to have a flask for coffee on the drives.

I would also suggest a cooler bag of sorts.
It is possible to stock up on ice regularly at the camp shops.
I find that keeping things cool can be rather a challenge.

It is very dark, so headlamps and some form of communal light would also be important.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Richprins

Unread postby Richprins » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:08 pm

Just the newest space view!

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Check in at satellite camps?

Unread postby DuQues » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:30 pm

It is a satellite of Satara, but you can check in at Olifants.
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Check in at satellite camps?

Unread postby ecojunkie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:17 pm

From what I remember on the booking information it says check in for Balule is at any of the main camps, preferably Satara. Other satellite camps have specific main camps or gate to check in.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Visit OLA

mizzbee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Balule in October

Unread postby mizzbee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:47 pm

There are two gas freezers at both the camping and hut sections of Balule. They may not freeze your meat but the freezers will keep your fresh items cold.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Toddelelfe » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Raasblaar wrote:Balue :mrgreen:

I've been wanting to book at Balule for the past 3/4 years now, but have always changed my mind at the last second...

Not because of the lack of electricity or the 'rustic' nature of the camp. NO, because of the thought of getting up at 3am to use the facilities :big_eyes: ( Really don't like those rustling bushes in the dark night. :shock: I am as sissy , I know, but since I'm a girl, I think it's allowed)

But finally biting the bullet (might need to swing by Nelspruit Hospital on my way to the camp for catheter insertion) and so excited!

Reading the posts on the forum and simply can't wait. 2 Questions for you experienced Balulites:

1. Does the huts have the standard KNP braais outside/in front of them or are they limited to the camping area?

2. Does the huts have the standard table and 3 chairs or do I need to pack my own?

Only 10 months to go!!

I hope this picture(s) from 2005 will help a little bit.

BTW, i know this problem, going in the night to the ablutions. I took an empty 5 litre bottle with me in the hut. And every morning, i forgot to bring it to the ablutions. But no problem, the excellent staff cleaned every day the bottle. :clap:
:hmz: Thinking about the next trip :hmz:
2014 TR from KNP

Binkieloo

Unread postby Binkieloo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Balule was our favourite camp! We wished that there had been availability to stay more than 4 nights. We even contemplated not leaving and seeing how long it took for our jobs to find us again LOL

We camped and had the most awesome time.

With regards to the loo's at night - take a head lamp, or like us plan it for when the moon is almost full. I didn't need a light at all getting to the loo's - but inside is creepy dark! I'd definitely recommend showering in the afternoons!

But what an amazing location! The hippos laughing at us most of the night, the lions in the distance, the hyena not so far away and we even heard the leopard one night! Bliss!!!

Can't wait to go back next year again!
The B Squared - Bianca and Brian, and Kyle too!

Aug 2015: Dates TBF - Finally back to Kruger, this time with a baby in tow! Camping at Maroela, Tsendze and Balule.

Lanzerac

Unread postby Lanzerac » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:54 pm

The sunrises from the Balule area are spectacular. Taken on the S90 2 kms before Bangu Windmill

Landy1

Unread postby Landy1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi John I once did a walk from Balule and had one of the best game rangers there. You can book for the different activities at Olifants when you are there and they will pick you up at the entrance to Balule at a specific time and drop you back when done, if I remember correctly prices were the same as normal. Hope you enjoy your stay there.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

mauwie1

Unread postby mauwie1 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:54 am

No u don't have to book a stand. Stand no 3 looked like a nice stand lots of shade but I gues it is up to u and it depends where u get a suitble spot. Well to be honest with u the first night I have already decided that I would go back to Balule.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Thu May 05, 2011 7:49 am

If I remember correctly we had stand 6 and it was great. lots of shade and level enough. Only thing was our fence view was slightly obscured.

I will definitely try make it back to Balule sometime, it was really peaceful and tranquil
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

binkybozo

Unread postby binkybozo » Mon May 30, 2011 11:06 am

I know that this question has been asked before but it has been awhile since being asked.

How is the communial freezer at Balule holding up these days? We are there for 3 days at the end of June and then we are off to other parts of the park for a total of 2 weeks so will will have 2 weeks of frozen meat with us when we check into Balule. Going out of the park to purchase meat is not an option for us either.

thanks

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon May 30, 2011 11:21 am

We were there when it was terribly hot and the freezers were battling to be honest. People had filled them trying to get cold water etc and I just do not think the freezers could cope with that and the heat of the day. I assume that at the end of June the weather will be cooler so the freezers will cope better. You might battle for space tho if the camp is very busy.
Sawubona
Dalene

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Mon May 30, 2011 11:47 am

Freezers were perfect for already-frozen food over Easter
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Dup

Unread postby Dup » Mon May 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Keep meat frozen, this is what I will do, it works every time; vacuum pack each braai or portion. your butcher or supermarket will do this.
Freeze these packs 5-7 days before the trip.
The cooler box must be filed with 50% solid ice. plastic ice cream buckets 2 liter type works well and must also put in deep freezer long before trip(clear ice)
just before we left I pack the cooler box only with meat and ice then I sealed it with masking or ducting tape.
the box must be packed in the shade as you drive or put something like a duvet/blanket over it.
open only when taken meat out and seal again.
it will kept your meat frozen for at least 3-4 days .
second cooler are for daily use and keep the other stuff cold, that is also the one with the ice from the camps etc.
ps. if ice start melting let water out only when you take the meat out once a day.
SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

NO to frackers products

Lone Bull trail here we come-April 2015

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”