Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jazil's Sightings : KNP 14 to 20 Nov 2005
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Went in Yesterday at Croc bridge:

Saw masses of buffalo yesterday and today, also lots of Ellies. Saw Rhino, and baby Zebra At Lower Sabie, Hippo munching just outside fence in front of her unit. Hyena inside camp (Passed her 4 feet away!!) Baby bat almost crawled into her fire.

Today lots of general game and a huge fire to the east of the S37. Reckons it was far away though and probably in Moz. Saw Hyena pups just outside Satara tonight!!!

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:05 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Got a new update:

Quote:
Spotted Rhino and baby. Ellies, no Kitties and a yellow ribbon that whizzed past me

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Is one allowed out on the bridge over the Olifants river near the camp?? If not, she's got some great pics for mug of the month :twisted:

I don't think that bridge is a designated get out bridge?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:48 pm 

Loams wrote:
Is one allowed out on the bridge over the Olifants river near the camp?? If not, she's got some great pics for mug of the month :twisted:

I don't think that bridge is a designated get out bridge?

The high water bridge? One may get out there.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Saw Lion on the S100.... TWICE

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Some drizzle reported at Satara this morning, she's heading down to Biyamiti tonight, and DB will take ove the sighting reports for me during the weekend ;-)

Shot DB!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:43 pm 

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere
Ok here goes,
Kruger Park
Day 1 - 14th November 2005

The day had finally arrived when I could set out for the Kruger Park. I was going alone, and was a little apprehensive about this, but having received lots of excellent advice from forumites decided to GO FOR IT ALONE.

I arrived at Croc Bridge at 2:15, after stopping in Komatipoort to buy a few things I had forgotten to pack... flask, torch, (Silly me). I got through the gate with ease, my Wild Card, (obtained here in Swaziland now) was a joy and the staff at the gate excellent. There were very dark clouds around and quite a bit of lightning and thunder.

(on Bert's instructions just slipping in a quick pic of the wonderful fruit display at Loamsies wedding)

Headed up the H4-2 to Lower Sabie and saw quite a bit of general game, zebra, impies, buffaloes, giraffes,

a couple of Ellies, and one tiny tiny baby zebra with his/her mum, could not get a pic of this unfortunately, as the baby was well hidden behind a bush, but just visible. I saw a lovely fish eagle eating, what I think was a crab, and the most beautiful rainbow to the east.
A few more impies
and zebra Image
Arrived at LS at about 4:15 and booked in. I was in hut 95 right on the perimeter at the end, what a lovely view. Decided not to go to Sunset dam, but to rather just "chill out" and watch the birds and enjoy the view.
(Slip in a quick pic of Loamsies wedding cake!)
When I was cooking on my braai, a baby bat tried to crawl into it, (my braai fire) luckily I saved it in time and it flew/(crawled initially) away.

Met the couple who were in the hut next to me, and all they could talk about was “I saw" and “We saw", and themselves, but nice people.

(Another quick pic of Loamsie and his family before the service......... note Loamsie running away :lol: )

Later, whilst sipping on a whisky, I heard munching at the fence, I turned off all the lights, and by the light of a very full moon watched a hippo grazing right in front of me at the fence. He stayed there about half an hour and a little later a hyena ran past outside the fence and a few seconds later ran right past my hut, no further than a few centimeters away!!! (this is NOT the whisky talking either!)
I am glad that I was sitting on my verandah!....
I went to bed, happy and contented that I was at last in Kruger, only to be woken at 1:15am by my cell phone ringing!!! Guess who that was? Yes SO who was in New Zealand at World Champs, asking me to please phone him back!!!! I asked him how do I phone New Zealand from SA????? He told me to look it up in the phone book!!! Oh Yes, I carry a phone book around with me in the Park!! Shame, He had forgotten I was in the Park, or what time it was here!!!! (He had been travelling for 24 hours to get there, so could forgive him!! :lol: )
Luckily I fell asleep easily again........ anticipating the next days in the Park........

And now, thats it for the first bit...... and mods, and Loamsie, forgive the slight digression from my trip!!!!

(Just had to end day 1 with a photo from the Park!)
Day 2 coming up shortly.......

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:50 pm 

Ok, here goes for the third time, (not sure where my report keeps going to........ me being 'blonde' I think!) I am not very good at writing but am having such fun remembering my trip :lol:

Day 2 - Tuesday 15th November 2005

I awoke in the morning to find that the monkeys were raiding my fridge!!!! Luckily there was nothing in it except for two mealies which of course they had!! A buck, (which one please, cause I don't know) was grazing at the fence in front of my hut, the fence was no more than about 10 to 12 meters away.
Left LS at about 7:30 and headed up the H-10 to Tshokwane.

(just slipping in a quick one of Wendy arriving at the church)Image
and her little nephew and niece who preceeded her down the aisleImage

Again saw quite a bit of general game, lots of zebras, buffaloes, Ellies, both far away and close, a Rhino far away, giraffe, a buck with a baby, (cant prove this as no pic, but I did write it down in my "shorthand" {my long hand} notebook. And I am very bad at identifying the smaller buck, and have since discovered that what I had always thought were duiker were definitely not!!!) birds, a couple of kudu and impies. Image
Image Image
I just love the way the kudu and giraffe blend into the bush.
A flock of long tailed shrikes, flew along side the road for a while. Image
Stopped at Tshokwane for a leisurely breakfast of egg sarmies and coffee and just soaked in the atmosphere. (The Starlings). Image

(There were very few people at Tshokwane which was a pleasure!) I took the N'waswitsontso loop, and came across quite a big herd of Ellies... I am very wary of Ellies, (as mentioned before in my topic asking for advice) so did not stick around!!!! (Chicken!). As I approached Satara there were more and more buffaloes. A zebra was grazing right at the gate to Satara. The green grass was just coming through and it looked beautiful.
Image Image
Booked into Satara, Hut E125, unpacked, as I was there for 3 nights, found something to eat, and watched the hornbills round the camp before setting out just after 3:00.

(Time for a little digression maybe! As Wendy walks down the aisle)Image Loamsie looks around :D Image

I was going to take the S100 or H6 east, but there was masses and masses of smoke from a fire in that direction and the visibility was not good, (I think the fire was further east than the Park, Mozambique probably) but the wind was in our direction so lots of smoke. I decided to rather go west along the H7 towards Orpen. Spent a fair amount of time at the Nsemani Dam, watching some hippos and two plovers distracting a legavarn from what I presume was their nest. Saw an ellie just before the dam, (please note how I still have the bush between me and the ellie!) Saw giraffe with young, zebra, impies and just lovely lovely bush. Image Image
and trees with maribou storks in them!Image

Just before getting back to Satara, had a wonderful sighting of hyena and young in a culvert right next to the road.
Image Image
Image Image
They were so close to the car it was difficult to get them all in.

What a lovely day. There were two woman, a mother and her daughter, in the hut next to me, and the mother insisted I go and join them for some wine, (she even carried my chair over to their hut!.... I must really look old, lovely people, but again, it was only “I saw", “We saw"... but interesting.

Was getting the hang of lighting my braai fire a bit better but still not right!!! But great fun, and a wonderful experience being by oneself in the park.

Wow, think this has gone on a bit long, and have only done two days so far :roll: :roll:

More to follow later........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:00 pm 

Ok, next installment, (This is taking forever!!!! But I am having fun!)

Promise Day 5, 6 and 7 will be quick!!! or should I say shorter!

Day 3 - Wednesday 16th November 2005

I really wanted to see some “kitties" so woke quite early, (well for me) and drove to the Nsemani dam on the H7, lots of buffs and an ellie again. (No pic this time, but am sure same ellie). Nothing happening at the dam though, maybe I was too late at 6:10am!
No kitties anywhere!

Then back and along the H6 to N'wanetsi Lookout and dam. What a lovely road, not a lot of game, but it was very pretty and lacked vehicles! (Only really saw rangers riding bikes on this road). However saw lots of giraffe, zebra and a couple of ostrich. Image Image
Image Image It was strange cause there were actually three ostriches, even though only two in this pic, and the third was a female. I thought it would have been two females and a male together rather!!! (Does this mean that Angel ostriches have lots of sense?? :lol: )

There were some beautiful trees, big ones, along this road, some with circles of stones around the base, I did take pics of these, to show you on the forum and ask questions, but they were on my little camera, which got stolen the night I came home! Does anyone know what these stones mean and who put them there?

(just slipping in an extra)
Image Isn't Loamsie grinning just like a cheshire CAT here?)

When I arrived at the Lookout Point at N'wanetsi there was no one there. I sat there, alone, in the peace and quite and had a cup of coffee, watched the birds and relaxed a bit, before leaving.

On the way back saw some of the most beautiful water bucks I have ever seen. BUT No Kitties.

Image Image
(The one is my new avatar!)

Got back to Satara in time for breakfast and coffee before setting off again, this time to Olifants. I decided that I must do some traveling today as tomorrow I would rest and spend most of the day in camp.

I filled up with diesel before heading out again and there was someone trying to get his tyre fixed after having a puncture, (one of my worst fears being alone in the park!) - (Bert's blanket??)

I stuck to the tar road to Olifants, and saw Rhino and baby resting/sleeping under a tree, (wise animals)

(Only just enought shade for them)

ellies, Image Note only very little bush between us!!!

a few baboons
Image Image Image (Typical mousketeer the way they sat and displayed!!!)

It was very very hot, and it was actually a relief to be in an air conditioned double cab!! I just love the scenery in that part of the park, open plains and being able to see for miles.

A grey Merc whizzed past me at a tremendous rate, (this was about 2 kms from the bridge over the Olifants River) and I thought, “You stupid..." Anyways when I got to the bridge the car was parked on it with its bonnet up. I stopped and asked if they had a problem, with which the man, in broken English said, that he aplogised for going at such speed but he was running out of oil, and needed to get to Olifants in a hurry. I suppose a good excuse, he was adding oil to his engine) He then jumped into his car and headed of, once again at speed!

Image I love this pic, its so full of emotion.....
Image The rings!

Just as I was getting to the end of the bridge, an ENORMOUS Ellie wandered out onto the main road and started heading onto the bridge... I was in shock!! Where do I go now? Only backwards!!! The man in the grey Merc must have only just missed bumping into him too. I never even bothered to get my camera out, just sat with my heart beating wildly in my chest!! My foot on the clutch and the double cab in reverse!
Luckily for me, the Ellie stopped, thought for a moment or two, (it seemed like hours!) and then turned and wandered off into the bush. Whew!

Arrived at Olifants about midday, got a toasted sarmie and a bottle of water and headed down to the vantage point. It was HOT, like you can't believe. I was told about 43 degrees... and not a breath of air.

There was a little water in the river and I spotted three water buck, a solitary giraffe, (the others probably hiding in the trees). It was fascinating sitting there quietly listening to the other visitors chatting about what they had seen. Suddenly in the distance a herd of ellies set off across the sand to the water, amongst them was a really tiny ellie. This was miles away but I got a pic of it anyway.

I had a long chat with one of the shop assistants at Olifants re the lack of rain and how the crocodiles were all heading towards Mozambique. As he said to me as I paid for my bottle of water, “We are lucky we can buy water, the impala's and animals can't". What a wonderful statement.

After about 2 hours I left, it was so hot it was unpleasant being outside. The air conditioning of the double cab was preferable.

Saw two cars with lots of people stopped on the Bridge over the Olifants river, they were all out of their vehicles, I was not sure whether this was a place where people were legally allowed out of their vehicles or not, so took a couple of pictures of them!!!!

Saw a few big ellies on my way back to Satara,
Note less bush, in fact only a small branch between us!
Image but prefer this pic!!

but it was just too hot for any sensible animals (SO NO KITTIES) to be anywhere but hiding in the shade. There was not a breeze anywhere

I made an observation on my way when I waved to every vehicle I saw, that no women drivers waved, a few men did, all parks and work or delivery vehicle drivers waved. Most people were just looking straight ahead and I doubt if some of them were observing the speed limit. Maybe it was too Hot!!! (However this was the case everyday, so can't blame it on the heat!)

Arrived back at Satara at about 4:00 and collapsed on my bed in my wonderful air conditioned hut. (Noticed that the people next to me were busy preparing a potjie, cutting and stirring, their potjie was on a gas bottle and they must have been so hot!)

Image the first kiss(!) before the signing Image

Left again just after 5:00, (The people next door were STILL tending their potjie!) It was still hot, but I went to park next to the Nsemani dam again, saw zebra, warthogs and I am sure the same big ellie. BUT STILL NO KITTIES!

Where is the bush???? :lol:

He was a really lovely Ellie, and at no time, and I am sure it was the same one every day, was he at all worried or upset, but just lovely.

Got back just after 6:15 and the people next door were still cutting, stirring and tending their potjie!!!! It was still HOT. Had a shower and when I got out found the wind was a howling gale and within a few minutes the temperature fell by many degrees as it was suddenly quite chilly!! An amazing change in literally just a few minutes.
(Maybe Kitties tomorrow I thought and hoped).

(My braai fire making improved once again this evening!)
My chops and wors tasted really good!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:53 am 

And now, at long last, even at 23:23 (well that is when I am starting) is my next day!!! (Still promise the last three days will be quick........... :roll: :roll: )

Day 4 - Thursday 17th November 2005

Kittie Kitties, maybe today is the day I will find some kitties! It just has to be KITTY DAY any sort of kitties, but KITTIES.

Actually woke at 4:30 this morning, it was cloudy and thank goodness cooler... (4:30am is VERY VERY early for me.) but it was still dark outside so thankfully turned over and slept for another half an hour!!

Eventually left at about 5:45 and again turned towards the Nsimani dam.
Saw lots and lots of Buffs. They were just about all lying down chewing, (are they like cows and chew the cud?).

Image Image

(arks please note the little or few twigs between the buff and me)
Imageand what big horns these two have....

Now if you have noticed till now have stuck to the main tar roads. (Am I chicken? Yes! of flat tyres? Yes!) Also just felt more comfortable on more main roads being alone. Anyway, "One who shall remain nameless" (but its not “He who shall not be named. Harry Potter?)
Persuaded me that I really should take the S100 then up the S41 and back along the S90 to Satara. He, who shall remain namelss, said I would definitely spot a kittie or two on this loop, so with a little bit of intrepidation I decided to do what “he who shall remain nameless" suggested! However before taking this route, and only being 2 kms from Satara, I headed back to camp first, to get my flask and coffee etc. I am glad that I did, because what did I see in the parking lot on leaving Satara? Something I thought was worth stopping to look at, so stopped and took a couple of pics.

These woodpeckers seem as vain as well (you decide!!!) Isnt he they lovely though?

I headed off again, past lots of buffs, and turned onto the S100, it was a pretty road, but did not see much to start with, only a lonely, sad looking wildebeeste.Image

I turned a corner and there were two vehicles, and one was a SD (Swaziland) Registration a small jeep like thing... it had SD CD plates, one of our “diplomatic" vehicles. Not sure where they came from as never asked, France I think though, as I know the Belgium Consulate, (she lives just down the road from us, and is about 90 years old at least, but a wonderful women), the Dutch guy is ENRORMOUS and I have known him for years, the Swiss guy runs the best restaurante in Swaziland. So who is there left? This guy was definitely not Spanish and the Portuguese have a different consulate here, (us being so close to Mozambique)... anyways, am digressing on another subject now (not my normal one!) Stopped and asked the SD registered vehicle what they were looking at, “LIONS, they said". (Ahh kitties at last). “Where?" I asked, “Over there" they replied and pointed across the river, through the trees to the opposite bank.

“Wow", I thought, “you have good eye site! I looked and looked and eventually saw TWO BROWN LOOKING LOGS!... (I must honestly admit) that I could not see them, with the naked eye, as KITTIES. Anyhow took a couple of pics of the "brown logs", (just because I should!), and at least when I downloaded them,
saw that “yes", they were indeed Kitties! Wow, KITTIES at long last AND on the S100

We chatted a bit, they were nice people, and they said that they had heard that there were a pride of about 7 lions at the Gudzani water hole. We decided to go there together, and I asked them to please go first, and that two sets of eyes in the front vehicle, were definitely better than just me alone. So we set off and saw virtually NOTHING else... although the Gudzani dam was beautiful.

From there on before reaching the “supposed Kitties" saw a couple of giraffe ...

Image Image Must be an Angel, see how dainty she is standing and looking! ....
and zebra.

We finally got to the Gudzani waterhole with me following the SD registered car and as we pulled in, what did I see???

A YR! Ohhh I was so excited. There were just the three of us vehicles there, and I could hardly take my eyes off the YR!
ImageIt (the YR) was big and bright and very yellow and seemed to be made of toweling (I learnt why later!)…. (Some people are lucky to have mums in the garment business!)

I had parked quite a bit behind the YR vehicle, and then saw the KITTIES... they were quite far away, and were moving from behind one tuft of grass to another, but I took a few photos anyways.

I and the YR vehicle sat there for quite a bit longer, (the SD vehicle moved on), and finally the YR vehicle moved on to leave. I took the bull by the horns, (I am a shy person) and lent out of my window and said [b]“Hi"
and “Who are you on the forum?" “Salva" came back the answer, "And who are you?", “Jazil" I replied, and his remark was, “Where is your Yellow Ribbon?". Sheepishly I told him “I don't have one". Oh it was great to meet him and we chatted for a long time. Did not really see his SO there as she was the other side of the car... Salva did tell me they were staying at Satara that night and that we might meet again there, and I am so sad now that we, or I should I say, did not follow that up. I never asked which part of Satara they were in. SILLY ME. The three of us could of spent a lovely evening together. But never mind, another time. We both finally left, and I cant remember now which direction they went in, but I carried on along the S41 to meet the S90 and back to Satara by about 10:00am ish.

I then spent the next 5 hours in camp, watching one of my favourite birds hopping around my braai,
Image Image
Image the litte crested barbet that God put together at the end with all the left over bits of paint...... isnt he just so devine.

I read my book, (Harry Potter and the Half Bred Prince) and just relaxed and enjoying life.

Image at the reception we were all given a lovely gift of Image

I was having a lovely relaxing day. The neigbours in the next hut returned about 1:30 and I enquired if they had seen anything. They told me they had been to Hoedspruit to get their puncture they had got the previous day, fixed!!! OMG another person with a puncture!!! Is it me next?? (Ellies and flat tyres are my fear... I am getting over the Ellie fear, but the puncture fear has reared its head yet again!!)

Left camp about 4:45 and drove 10kms south of Satara then turned around and came back again. Saw Buffs again, ellies, giraffe, some zebra,

and the same hyena, in exactly the same place that I saw them in two days previously. There were so many cars around that could not get close to them at all. I had seen them before, so did not really mind.

I was pretty good at lighting my braai tonight, and so enjoyed my lamb chops and mealies.

Interesting I think, after chatting to neighbours next door, (Who had not made another potjie) was that the one couple said they were there in a family group of 6, and the tensions were running high in their vehicle. I was so VERY GLAD that I had come alone. Selfish, but Oh it was wonderful. Time to myself. I do think its very important that everyone has this, time alone to reflect, at one time or another.

I was leaving Satara in the morning, but what a wonderful last day there I had had, two lots of kitties... although far away, AND a YR Salva, thank you.

Last edited by Jazil on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:43 am 

Thank you for your comments. Jay I could not write books, I can hardly write, I certainly dont consider myself good at it. But I have enjoyed doing this report...... and its still 'on going'...... (dont groan!!)

On now to

Day 5 - Friday November 18th 2005

My last day at Satara, how sad. I just love this area of the park, and now I had to head back down South. Also it was going to be my last day alone until “he who shall remain namelessâ€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:43 pm 

Ok, here goes - if my connection lasts that is!

Day 6 – Saturday 19th November 2005

Loams said he was going to be up and out by 4:30…….. mmmm, I thought, I wonder?? I was awake and up by about 5:30 and guess who was firmly still tucked up in bed?? He assured Wendy and I that he had been up, but not out….. HWSRN also was sure that it would be a KITTIE day again…… I was hoping…….

(I also have not forgotten why you have to remember the pic of the hippos in the dam from yesterday's report..... well not forgotten yet that is!)

We packed up, (never seen so much stuff brought by two people for two nights in the KNP…….. my stuff for a week was half of what they had!! And whats more Loamsie had forgotten his battery charger so that was not even there!!) and left Biyamiti about 7:00ish. HWSRN insisted that he drive with me and Wendy go alone!! I was quite happy driving alone, having just done it for the past 5 days, but that Mousketeer can get quite insistent………. (I think he just wanted to drive my double cab!) and so we set off.

We took the S25 to Croc Bridge and wonderful, we saw new born impies…. I had been looking out for them, but had not seen them on this trip todate. So great excitement.

We also saw a mummy ellie with a baby, (really cant remember why I did not take a picture, maybe too hidden……… but there is not one amongst my photos for that day!!). Some vultures sitting in a tree, couldn’t identify and picture is bad and just before turning onto the H4-2 to Croc Bridge a couple of beautiful kudu rams, or are they kudu bulls? And if so, why? Why Bulls and not Rams I mean!

Image Image

(Now rereading Loamsies report on our trip, he says we say a Bateleur before reaching Croc bridge………… ahhhh but on checking my photos and seeing time the picture of Bateleur was taken, time varies by 66 minutes, from these Kudu ones so think, for once(!) HWSRN was not quite correct!)

We pulled into Crock bridge just on 9:00am. We were meeting my daughter and her husband there. They were coming through the gate just as we arrived…….. we parked, and then “WOWâ€Â

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:23 pm 

The Final Episode

Day 7 – 20th November 2005

Well my last day had dawned….. how sad, this had really been a wonderful holiday for me, and I had enjoyed every minute of it. I woke about 6:00ish to find, that true to his word, Loamsie had gone for a drive, with my camera!! (That was ok by me as he is very careful with it and has used/played with it before.) I actually think he really went cause my son in law had told him he could borrow his land cruiser…… now this was a major achievement, as NO ONE but NO ONE is allowed to touch his “precious land cruiserâ€Â

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]