Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Malopeni Overnight Eco-Trail
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:54 pm 
Guru
Guru

Wednesday Donavan, Dennis and I went and did a trail run of our new activity that starts the 1st of November, called the Malopini 4x4 ECO Trail. We left here 14:00 and got to the rustic camp next to the Letaba River around 17:15 and put up camp and just relaxed a bit next to the River and had a nice braai with Elephants in the surrounding that evening. Thursday morning we came back and in total saw Elephants, Buffaloes, Kudus, Zebras, Giraffes, Impalas, Steenbok and Duiker.

Post subject: Re: Phalaborwa Gate Sightings
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:20 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Good morning everyone,

The Malopini trail works the same as the Lebombo 4x4 Eco Trail but leaves from Phalaborwa Gate around 14:00 in the afternoon and is only over 1 night and you will be back around 10:00 in the morning.

Post subject: Re: Malopeni Overnight Eco-Trail
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:28 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Details on the Malopeni Eco-trail

The Malopeni Overnight Eco Trail is a guided one night motorised adventure trail which travels along management roads in the area to the north-east of Phalaborwa Gate up to the Letaba River. The route allows the adventure tourist exclusive access to remote areas which are not frequented by many vehicles and bring the true eco-tourist close to the realities of the African bush. Emphasis is on the wilderness, the remoteness and the seclusion of traveling through areas rarely seen by others. The trail will offer a variety of experiences which include seeing different animal spoor, animals, plant and bird species as well as a variety of different landscapes. A maximum of five vehicles limited to four persons per vehicle are guided by a SANParks guide in an official vehicle. This experienced and professional guide will act as the trail leader and will interpret the various natural phenomenon such as geology, biology, botany as well as historical and cultural information, at regular intervals. All vehicles need to be fully equipped in terms of their own camping equipment.

The trail starts at Phalaborwa Gate at 14:00 on the day of departure and returns to Phalaborwa Gate the following day at around 12:00 (campsite is vacated at approximately 09:00 after breakfast).
The over night campsite is unfenced and has a fireplace, ashdrum and two enviro loo’s (toilets with no chemical or flushing component), one for ladies and one for gents. It is a self-catering trail and guests have to provide their own water, firewood, food and accommodation (Tent).

Although it is not strictly speaking a 4x4 challenge, road conditions vary from reasonably good to a few places with steep inclines and in the rainy season - muddy patches where guests are asked to engage in 4x4 (if their vehicle has this capability).
Without 4x4 capabilities, wheels might spin and the road might be damaged and therefore it is recommended that 4x4 vehicles be used on this trail, however high clearance 2x4 vehicles are also permitted. Only genuine off-road trailers or caravans are allowed.

The trail departs on a daily basis throughout the year from Phalaborwa Gate although in the case of heavy rainfall the route might be changed or even be closed temporarily. The Phalaborwa Section Ranger can also close the route any time for management related issues such as an uncontrolled fire or for anti poaching operations in the area.

Only 5 vehicles plus the guide’s vehicle are allowed on the trail at any one time, with a maximum of 4 people per vehicle. (No children under 12 years unless arranged prior to departure and this will only be possible in cases where one group has booked the entire trail).

Bookings can be made at Phalaborwa Gate or through central reservations on (012) 428 9111 as of 1 November 2009.

***Fact Sheet***
Description of Landscapes
The route commences in the Phalaborwa Sandveld and stretches into Mopane (Colophospermum mopane) Savanna on Basic Soils and the Letaba River Rugged Veld.

The predominant geology formations consist mainly of granite and gneiss. Soils of the watersheds are generally deep and sandy. The Phalaborwa Sanveld is characterized by the occurrence of large numbers of termite mounds, which are comprised of light grey soils. A number of well-defined and deeply incised watercourses pass through the Mopane Savanna from higher-lying areas. The Letaba River Rugged Veld represent the mid and lower drainage slopes of the Letaba River. It is generally strongly undulating with prominent watersheds and deeply incised watercourses.

The woody strata that dominate the area includes Knobthorn (Acacia nigrescens), Tree Wisteria (Bolusanthus speciosus), Mopane (Colophospermum mopane), Red Bushwillow (Combretum apiculatum), Leadwood (Combretum imberbe), Cork bush (Mundulea sericea), African wattle (Peltophorum africanum), Apple Leaf (Philenoptera violacea), Marula (Sclerocarya birrea), Silver cluster leaf (Terminalia sericea) and Purple pod cluster leaf (Terminalia pruniodes). The herbaceous layer includes Andropogon gayanus, Aristida spp, Bothriochoa radicans, Brachiaria nigropedata, Cymbopogon plurinodis, Digitaria eriantha, Enneapogon cenchroides, Hemizygia elliottii, Hetropogon contortus, Melinis repens, Panicum coloratum, Panicum maximum, Pogonarhria squarrosa, Schmiditia pappophoroides, Themeda triandra and Urochloa mosambicensis.

Historically Sable antelope were frequently seen in this area although lately Sable antelope are very scares. Impala occur widely with localized high concentrations. Relatively high densities of a wide variety of large mammals feature along the Letaba River during the winter months. Generally the densities of most species are low. Elephant, buffalo, hippo, kudu and waterbuck are well represented. Nyala are also found, although in low densities.

Route
The trail starts at Phalaborwa Gate and proceeds east on the H9 (main road between Phalaborwa and Letaba) and then turns north on to the S131, at the Ngwenyeni/Malopeni cross road the trail proceeds north on the category D - Mankavi Road for 3km before turning west onto the Malopene management road. It goes through the Malopeni spruit to Malopeni North windmill and then onto Oorgenoeg windmill (both these windmills have been closed down) and then onto the Letaba River. The route proceeds in a north westerly direction along the southern banks of the Letaba River, through the Nhlarhweni spruit towards Black Heron dam. The overnight campsite is about 500m north west of Black Heron Dam. The trail returns along the western boundary heading south towards Phalaborwa and then turns east-wards on the Bambinyowo management road to Malopeni North windmill and then back to the S131 to Phalaborwa Gate. Trail distance: 71km.

Equipment and Accessories Guideline
Camping and other equipment

Tent, tent pegs and hammer / or rooftop tent
Feather duster can also be handy to dust the rear of your vehicle
Portable shower
Ground sheet, spade and broom
Sleeping bag, towels and pillow
Inflatable mattress and pump
Gas lamp
2 torches (extra batteries)
Folding table and chairs
Gas stove/cooker, handy braai and gas bottle (2)
Braai Grid and stand
Wood (please supply own)
2 x 25-litre water containers
Refrigerator or cool box (for ice and meat)
Cooking pot and kettle
Medium-sized plastic bowl for washing dishes
Fire extinguisher
Insect repellent
Table cloth
Washing and drying cloth
Pot scourer and dishwashing liquid
Refuse bags
Toilet paper
Cutlery and crockery
Mugs and glasses
Wooden spoon, can opener, egg lifter and cutting knife
Paper towels
Wooden carving board
Hot water flask

Tools
Other
First Aid

Tent, tent pegs and hammer / or rooftop tent
Feather duster can also be handy to dust the rear of your vehicle
Toolbox should have the necessary spanners, sockets etc.
Puncture repair kit (wheel spanner, jack and spare tyre)
Tie-down straps
Fuses
Personal toiletries (remember biodegradable soap for showering outdoors)
Road maps
Camera and film
Binoculars
Appropriate clothing
Hat/cap
Raincoat
Reference books (mammals/trees/birds)
Small plastic bowl for washing
Sufficient food and beverages
Own medical kit with personal medical requirements (personal medication, antihistamine ointment and tabs, eye drops, paracetamol, cotton wool / gauze, plaster, scissors and tweezer, malaria tablets, etc). :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:41 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Greetings from a stinking Phalaborwa Guide,

Luckily you guys are on the other side of the computer, because on my side I feel ashamed of my own smell, ha ha ha ha ha, only joking...

Yesterday afternoon I left on the 1st booked Malopeni Eco Trail, and remember there is no shower facilities!!!! We left 14:00 and only arrived at the camping spot around 18:00. Luckily we had some nice sightings of Buffaloes, Giraffes, Elephants, Impalas, Steenbok, Duiker, Kudus, Hippo's and Zebras.

It was a really nice hot evening in the bush with lots of excitement of 3 Elephant Bulls that wanted to join us while braaiing.

All I can say, but that I could have told you before, is the guide that takes the guests out needs to be very awake!!! Luckily we could scare the Bulls away by shouting and relaxed after the adrenalin rush and went to bed.

We had a stunning bird chorus this morning,eating rusks with coffee and stressed about the TV interview. I luckily only had 1 question!!!!

On our way back it was a mission, pulling trees out of the road, lost 3 of the vehicles, ha ha ha ha, ai ai ai.

A stunning experience which I can highly recommend. Think Gerharddb will add some more comments...

If I don't go and have a shower now, the computer will explode, or I will be a human repellent!!!

Enjoy!!! :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Afternoon everyone :yaya:

Well like Lourens said you don't want to be sitting next to him like I'm doing now.... neither next to me...or any of the other 8 persons that went on the trail. :redface: ha ha

But people what an experience it has been! And I as the 1st Forumite that went on the trail will tell you a little bit more.

We left the gate after a hectic morning trying to get everything or most of everything ready before the guests arrived. We met everyone that went on the trip that included a producer of TV shows and his camera man, guys from the Jurgens Caravan Company and then Karien( the Section Ranger at Mahlangeni) and her husband, Dewald Keet the Vet and research guy in KNP.

Like Lourens said we had a few great sightings of Buffs, Elephants and all the other stuff he said, and drove through some of the most beautiful terrain and piece of Kruger I've seen. The trail run next to the Malopeni stream for some while and then it turns and you drive next or close to the Letaba river. The trail itself is not really a 4x4 trail like the name says but there are some challenge spots and places where you can and should test out your 4x4.

We got to camp just before sunset and had to set up camp( luckily everybody knew what to do and how to do it so it was quick) and had the fire burning just before the darkness was upon us. Now the camping spot is right next to the Letaba and we had an amazing sighting of Ellies, Buffaloes and Hippo all close to each other just before we reached the Camping spot, so there is animal activity.

After we had a nice time around the fire and while braaiing all what felt chaos breaking loose happened..people shouting and clapping hands and there before us stood an Elephant bull a mere 15 m from us. Luckily he turned and went around and browsed further. After this little incident the adrenilan was pumping a bit and once again realises how small you are in this world! While eating we heard a branch break to the back of us and watched how another 2 bulls crossed the road 30m from us. Then the one turned and came to investigate and Lourens and Karien were quick to get ready for the action all over again He came closer to Lourens for a second or two but Lourens had the upper hand( or the worst smell) and he decided to turn away. We all went to bed just past 11pm and can assure you that it was one of the most amazing experience lying in the tent knowing that there are no fences and alot of animals. But sleep came quickly to some people and the snoaring of some could be heard back to Phalaborwa, which is 30+ km's away! This morning we woke just after 6 and had some coffee with rusks and all the birds entertaining us with a show out of the books!

On the way back, the road is a very old management road and good excitement for off-road lovers. Had to pull a few trees out of the road and lost 3 of the 5 vehicles that missed the turnoff! We went back searching for them but didnt find them. We then returned to the 2 cars that was still with us which was waiting for us where we left them. We drove past a tree which has been used by poachers where they put tree stumps in the tree to have a view over the area and once spotting something going after it. We met up with the lost guys back at the gate.

I can highly recommend this trail and would definately do it again!

I would like to thank Lourens in special for inviting me along! I had the time of my life!

Will upload photos once back in PTA.

Greetings :dance:

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

Post subject: Malopeni Eco Trail
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Afternoon Everyone :yaya:

I did the first ever Malopeni Eco Trail with Lourens and 5 other cars on the 5th of this month and what an experience it has been!

We left the gate after a hectic morning trying to get everything or most of everything ready before the guests arrived. We met everyone that went on the trip that included a producer of TV shows and his camera man, guys from the Jurgens Caravan Company and then Karien( the Section Ranger at Mahlangeni) and her husband, Dewald Keet the Vet and research guy in KNP.

Like Lourens said we had a few great sightings of Buffs, Elephants and all the other stuff he said, and drove through some of the most beautiful terrain and piece of Kruger I've seen. But the area is in need of some rain!

The trail run next to the Malopeni stream for some while and then it turns and you drive next or close to the Letaba river. The trail itself is not really a 4x4 trail like the name says but there are some challenge spots and places where you can and should test out your 4x4.

Now the camping spot is right next to the Letaba and we had an amazing sighting of Ellies, Buffaloes and Hippo all close to each other just before we reached the Camping spot, so there is animal activity.

We got to camp just before sunset and had to set up camp( luckily everybody knew what to do and how to do it so it was quick) and had the fire burning just before the darkness was upon us.

After we had a nice time around the fire and while braaiing all what felt chaos breaking loose happened..people shouting and clapping hands and there before us stood an Elephant bull a mere 15 m from us. Luckily he turned and went around and browsed further. After this little incident the adrenalin was pumping a bit and once again you realise how small you are in this world! While eating we heard a branch break to the back of us and watched how another 2 bulls crossed the road 30m from us. Then the one turned and came to investigate and Lourens and Karien were quick to get ready for the action all over again He came closer to Lourens for a second or two but Lourens had the upper hand and he decided to turn away. We all went to bed just past 11pm and can assure you that it was one of the most amazing experience lying in the tent knowing that there are no fences and alot of animals. But sleep came quickly to some people and the snoaring of some could be heard back to Phalaborwa, which is 30+ km's away! This morning we woke just after 6 and had some coffee with rusks and all the birds entertaining us with a show out of the books!

On the way back, the road is a very old management road and good excitement for off-road lovers.

Had to pull a few trees out of the road and lost 3 of the 5 vehicles that missed the turnoff! We went back searching for them but didnt find them. We then returned to the 2 cars that was still with us which was waiting for us where we left them. We drove past a tree which has been used by poachers where they put tree stumps in the tree to have a view over the area and once spotting something going after it.

This trail is definitely not for the person who hate dust, no shower, no fence around you, who hates insects ect.
I can highly recommend this trail and would definitely do it again!

Post subject: Re: The Malopeni Eco Trail
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nungu, Our "Sandton" 4X4 (BMWX3) managed the Lebombo ecotrail so perhaps yours will manage this one?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Nungu wrote:

I have a Sandton 4X4... not because of the price :tongue: .... but I mean it's rather a SUV that is labelled 4X4 - but not really having all the 4X4 capablilities. Will this SUV be able to do this trail in your opinion?

Aha Thanks PJW for clearing that one out... I didnt have a clue what a Sandton 4X4 is! :redface:

Yes I think it will do just fine! Its not really a 4X4 trail but there are places where you can engage the 4X4 and drive without stressing about the wheelslip( Like one of the pics in the report) and kicking up dust.

But after some good rains it will be a total different story! Then there will be no way that you will be able to do the river crossing( that now lies dry) and the few steep places you have to go out will be ' snotglad'! And even if you have 4X4 you will still have some trouble to go through! But that anyone can face! This trail is a must really!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:16 am 
Guru
Guru

:popcorn:
The Malopeni Eco Trail we have done over that weekend.

The Scorpion can be seen in the picture.

Sable Dam:

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:58 am 

Hi,

I see in the latest Getaway that they have a piece on the trail. Have any one done this trail recently and what is your excperience of it?

Been More than 3000+ Days in Kruger and counting!!
Have slept more than 350+ night in Kruger and more coming!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:31 pm 
Guru
Guru

:popcorn: :popcorn:

The Malopeni Overnight Eco Trail:

The Eland we saw

Hippo Paths leading away from the Letaba River

A Gerbel (kind of mouse) staying in the camping site of the Malopeni Eco Trail.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:21 pm 

Hi all from sunny Phalaborwa. Here is the report for the Malopeni Eco-Trail I did on the 3rd of this month.

Picked up the guests at 14h00 and headed north along the S131 driving straight to the “start” of the trail. The first five or six kilometres had us seeing many buffalo and a couple of breeding herds of elephants. Impala, zebra and giraffe were quite numerous but as we got closer to the Letaba River they seemed to disappear. Other animals seen include steenbok, slender and dwarf mongoose, 2 klipspringers and kudu.

That afternoon we sat by the Letaba River with sundowners and managed to get waterbuck, hippos and many waterbirds as well as a pearlspotted owl we lured closer to the camp. That night, soon after we went to bed, the lions started up on the northern banks of the river soon to be followed by hyenas. No better way to fall asleep than sleeping out in the bush listening to these two animals going at it! :D

The next morning we woke up at 04h30. I checked around the camp for spoor but only managed a pair of steenboks and a hippo who passed close by the night before. The birdlife was amazing in the camp. Crested barbets, 3 species of cuckoo, 2 species of kingfishers – plus many more, was a stunning treat. We relaxed around the camp till about 08h00 before heading home taking a slow, leisurely drive back. Saw a couple herds of buffalo, elephants and the usual impala, zebra and a few giraffe.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:58 pm 
Guru
Guru

Our Malopeni Overnight Eco Trail from this weekend:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:46 pm 
Guru
Guru

:D Good afternoon to all the readers,

On Friday the 18th of May I took another Malopeni Overnight Eco Trail out, and on the trail to the camping site we found the Saddle Billed Storks close to the gate, on the S131 gravel road on our way to the Mankavi category D road, some Impala, Bateleurs, White Backed Vultures, and on the No Entry road that's running next to the Malopeni Stream a Common Duiker, a few Buffalo Bulls, Elephant Bulls, Hippo and Crocodiles in the Letaba River.

During the evening we heard Elephants, Hippo's, Hyeanas and Lions.

We woke up the next morning around 06:00, still listening to the Lions roaring and heard how they got closer and closer, so we then went and stood in the dry river sand trying to see where these Lions are, and then spotted a young Male Lion came walking along the River bank on the Northern side of the River. We all sat down, not to get seen, and watched him walking pass, but on the other side of the River and disappeared behind some Granite Rocks. While busy taking down all the tents etc, we heard another 2 Lions and at a stage it sounded if they were on top of us, so I quickly called the 4 guests, but they ran to their vehicles and tents, and I then said, no come let's go and have a look, and there we found the other big male Lions going after this young one.
Ai it was such an amazing sighting playing off right in front of us!!!

On the way back to the Gate we found a Buffalo Herd, Steenbok, Hyeana and Impalas.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am 
Guru
Guru

:D Hi Forumites!!!

Just got back from the Malopeni Overnight Eco Trail, and on this trail we were lucky with all the general game sightings which we didn't have in abundance in comparison with the last few trails. We found lots of Giraffes, Kudus, Steenbok, Impalas, and a beautiful sighting of a big herd of Elephants with the tiniest little babies. As we arrived close to the camp site we found a herd of Buffaloes and during the night heard the Hippo's fighting dramatically, and some Spotted Hyeanas answering inbetween. This morning while taking down the campsite we got the herd of Buffaloes coming down to drink water. So we viewed them from a distance and after they finished drinking they moved off into the Mopanie Bushes again.

The Night Sky was awesome!!!!

Some pics to proof it:

Hope you all have a lovely day!!!! :D