Skip to Content

African Wild Dog

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

jb72

Re: Poor Doggie

Unread postby jb72 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:16 am

Just two pics of the doggie in question. Not a happy sight.....

And my fav pic. Me thinks this fella had a lovely brekkie.....

darth bangkok

Re: African Wild Dog

Unread postby darth bangkok » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:58 am

On 2 September we were lucky to see a small pack of 4 dogs at an impala kill along the H1-2 east of the H12. There was already a group of 4 or 5 cars when we arrived as the dogs were finishing up. They stuck around for a while, then checked out the cars a bit before disappearing into the bush. A great sighting indeed! :clap:

KNP 2009
30/8 - 31/8 - Pretoriuskop
1/9 - Skukuza
2/9 - 3/9 - Letaba
4/9 - Mopani

www.briancasatelli.smugmug.com/Wildlife

www.globaltwitcher.com

Sprocky

Unread postby Sprocky » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:40 pm

A few pics I took earlier today.

Egilio

Unread postby Egilio » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:37 pm

@Sprocky: Dogs typically only use a den for 3 months a year when they have small pups. During this time it's not unusual to move the pups from one den to another den several times. This can be after the den being disturbed by hyenas or lions or because the parasite load becomes to high.
After the 3 month denning period they start moving around again, and as the pups grow move bigger distances. And dogs do move BIG distances (see below).
Sometimes the same den site is used in several consecutive years, but often it's not.

So permanent den/more frequently used den sounds rather odd since they only den 3 months a year. Maybe frequently used resting spots is more accurate.

This year we had our first sighting of dogs after the rains at the EXACT same spot as we first saw them after the rains last year. Same dogs, same place. And they've been using that spot quite regularly during the rains and just after it.

@o-dog: Dogs are doing fine this year. Several packs have been seen with pups. And we've received some reports of dogs with pups in some unexpected areas too!
Also recently a pack of dogs showed how large distances they sometimes move. After being seen in an area in South Luangwa in early August they were seen in North Luangwa in September, over a 100km as the crow flies...

Guinea Pig
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:20 pm

Guinea Pig
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:09 am

As promised before, the video clip taken in 2004 of the female with her pups on the S34 behind Tshokwane Picnic Site.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIoHLuOLqMA[/video]

JCM

Unread postby JCM » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Visited Kruger in April this year and saw 15 wild dogs at the access road toTransport dam. They were full bellied and were playing in the road.

In July I was at Pretoriuskop and saw a pack of at least 12 wild dogs just after the Napi rocks loop heading east. Looking at my April images I realised that it was the same pack of dogs.They've just killed an impala about 200meters off the road. What was remarkable is that the dogs climbed up the nearby rocks to drink from the seasonal rock pools.

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby flying cheetah » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Great sighting JCM :clap: :mrgreen:
I would be quite happy with one or two dogs, but a pack of 12 or 15 must be breathtaking :lol:
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

Malealea

Unread postby Malealea » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:28 am

HI

I just have a question. In earlier times they told me only in the South and in the north are a few packs left. 2002 they told me that only a few packs in the South remain. Now the fences are opnen to Zimbabwe and Mocambique. Does the number of Wild Dogs increase? because the higest density of wild dogs are in Botswana and Zimbabwe. Does a few Packs comeback to the north? That is really an intresting question.
life is Game, you rather play or flee. I chose to play the Game.

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby oddesy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Malealea :D

You make quite a valid point regarding the fact as to wether the wild dog from mozambique etc will move into kruger. I dont beleive that there would be a huge move from one area to another, for a number of reasons. Especially in the north there is a lower game count so already becuase of this lower prey species richness territories i would imagine to be larger, even if there are fewer packs present in the area. Also animals who can sustain themselves in one area ie adequate food availability have no reason to seek out new territories, and remember they have no way of knowing that the grass is 'greener' on the kruger side without a mass movement of prey species from their area.
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Flutterby
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Flutterby » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:34 am

Hi everyone,

We were in KP at the beginning of October and saw 4 wild dogs (1 adult & 3 youngsters) about 2 kms from the De Laporte waterhole. This is only the third time I've seen wild dogs in 30 years of visiting the park.

"I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?"

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Elsa

Re: Wild Dogs

Unread postby Elsa » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:21 pm

We had 2 sightings in Feb last year, first on the H11 towards Kruger Gate and then 1 week later, with what we suspect could have been the same pack not far from Skukuza camp.
They flushed an Impala out the bush and all gave chase.
I have new respect for how far and high an Impala can jump when the need arises! :wink:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

tracytas

Unread postby tracytas » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:40 pm

The last time I saw wild dog was very recent: September the 15th we were ab 5km away from Afsaal, they were on the road only two of them, they started chewing our numberplate on the car, and interacting with hyenas.

ImageLarge
Last edited by Elsa on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pic resizing.
Fight against Rhino Poaching!!!
Its unacceptable

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:49 pm

:big_eyes:

WOW!

I never heard of doggies not fleeing from hyaenas!
And certainly not simply sniffing one...

Those two animals are not exactly good friends...
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

tracytas

Unread postby tracytas » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Great pic tracytas :clap: :clap:
Could you tell us more about this interacting? What could have been the reason? What was the result? Very, very interesting sighting :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

we came in at Malalane gate at ab 07:00 drove down the road for ab 45 min. we saw two wild dog on the road and on our right hand side were 3 hyenas. 2 went running off into the bush while the one stayed behind. personly i tink the wild dog were jst trying to aggravate the hyena for food not quite sure, the wild dog also pulled off our number plate and bit the car behind us tires so i think they were just in a boystrous mood that day. funny enough the dog was not very scared of the hyena but the hyena was very weary of the dog. ther are some other opions of other fourm members on my topic, 'back from a wonderful trip' go check it out
Fight against Rhino Poaching!!!
Its unacceptable

Return to “Mammals”