Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 2 of 2
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Addo Antics - August 2009
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks everyone for your nice coments :D
Whilst I was preparing this post on the smaller furry things we saw in Addo I noticed that they all start with an M - How weird is that:
Mice,Monkeys,mongooses and Meercats

On the one morning early we were up at Zuurkop and saw these two guys in their nest. - High cutenesss factor!

They were about all we saw up at the lookout point so we made the most of them

Also up near Zuurkop on our last day in the park we came accross these vervet monkeys. We had been told of 2 lions and some cubs which were lying next to the road at Zuurkop which we were on our way to, when we saw these. Gav said no problem they are probably set for the day.... Well we got there just in time to see a tail slip over the embankment. Anyway we got the monkey pics!

We also saw quite a few mongooses - quite often in association with families of meercats:

However of all the small furry animals we saw my best are the meercats. We saw loads :D :dance: Here are some of their pics:

Taking thigs easy!

And we're out of here!!!

More to follow later
:D

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Caracal, Pumbaa and Spotted Cat for your compliments.. I don't know what the latest protocol is with regards to the number of whatevers you are allowed per page, but I presume 100 whatevers is still the limit, so I am quietly waiting for the page to turn before my next postThat should get some comment!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:54 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

GavinW wrote:
Thank you everybody and now to get WN to post :roll:

You are just so persistant - a girl just cannot have a break with you around!! :evil: :wink:

What we found also in abundance in Addo were the birds. Niether Gav or I are really good at identifying birds - especially LBJ's so we just took photos of one's we thought were pretty, posing etc etc:

Our very first sighting in the Colchester section of the park was this heron:

A LYJ:

I think that Hoepoes are such pretty birds, but Gav says that they get their name because of the smell of their nests :shock:

A Boubou ( I Think)

The compulsory weaver pic at Domkrag dam

Gavin's pic

A bokmakerrie

We also saw these mousebirds next to the Safari Tents which was really great. I was amazed at the way they hung on the bushes upside down!!

And this guy was definitley on the lookout for a lady!!!. He put on quite a show for us. Just a pity I didn't get a picture of his dance and colourful legs.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Some of the more common animals in the park which
we saw included one or two warthogs

and a whole lot of black backed jackals:

This relaxed chap at Carols rest

These two beauties at Rooidam

And one mangy specimen up near Zuurkop

Well that's about all from us for this trip to Addo, except for two really special sightings which really made our trip. ONCE THE PAGE HAS TURNED AGAIN ALL WILL BE REVEALED :evil: :evil:

Till then good night all..............

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks everyone for your comments and in helping turn the page:
@ salamanda sorry about the wait :D

Our two most special sightings of the trip funnily enough both happened at night.
On the Monday evening, just after we had finished eating we were relaxing on the deck of our Safari Tent when I heard a russelling in the bushes below us. I grabbed Gav's spotlight and saw it was a porcupine making it's way along to the right towards the other safari tents.
No flys on me, I rushed out, with Gav in tow to the tent two along from ours, gatecrashed their party and told them what was coming their way.

The group of English tourists didn't mind at all, but didn't seem too impressed with the porcupine though :shock: Maybe they would have prefered something else. We were both over the moon:

Then on the Tuesday night (our last evening in Addo) we went for a short visit to see what was at the waterhole. We had done so each night we were there without too much luck, and it seemed as if that wasn't about to change when, when we got there we were told that we had just missed seeing a Rhino and her calf by about three minutes. :big_eyes:

A bit disappointed we decided to stay a bit longer when all of a sudden they appeared again and started moving towards the closer waterhole :dance:
We decided to rush down to the hide where we had an amazing view of the two. Unfortunatley it being dark and without a tripod or bean bag, plus the excitement, my pics weren't the greatest, but this is what we saw:

:dance: :dance: :D

That really made our holiday!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Now that Debbie has finished her trip report I thought that I would have the last say about our trip :twisted:
Firstly, I went to Addo with no great expectations. I think that I thought of it as a bit of a mickey mouse park compared to the KTP, (which I dote upon!!), but how wrong I was proven to be. For example I thought "4 nights in the park..... lions no problem......hyaenas no problem... etc etc). Well was I ever wrong. On our last day in the park , it was cold,wet and windy, I think if we saw 3 ellies and a couple of kudu we were lucky!!

I had an amazing time and was really impressed with the park.
I really enjoyed the elephants, the serenity and the facilities are great.

And I loved the meercats...

(My pic ....to answers Billyf's prayer!!!)

We will definitley be back!!! :D

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2