Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Sony vs Cannon vs Nikon
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:23 am 

Hi

Having moved into the new aged instant gratification era: I have decided it is time to move on from my very reliable/great photo minolta non-digital camera, (and the little mik'ndruk sony is not doing it for me anymore). To be honest I haven't used the non-digital much recently because it is such mission using film,having it developed, having to wait for the results and worst of all paying for the blury shots!

So I did a bit (admittedly not a lot) of research with the following criteria in mind:
1. About R10K
2. General wildlife and family and posibly a bit more.
3. I have a Minolta 70-300 lens which is compatible with the Sony range.

The shop I went to (or at least the guy I spoke to ) spoke very highly of the sony range, quoting reports/comparisons/awards from several photographic groups and mags. "The whole of Europe can't be wrong!" was heard more than once! The Sony a350 did feel the best to me - Fitted my hands ! I did compare to the equivalent (pricewise) cannon and nikon, but I can't remember exactly what models.

BUT looking at this Forum, there is very little said about the Sony cameras. (this is why I started a new topic!) It's all Cannon and Nikon. Is that because they have been around longer ? or because they are better? Or ?

So, I have a lens that will fit the Sony, it comes with a Zeiss lens, image stabiliser in the body, live view etc. etc. What is everybody's opinion? Anybody got a sony ?

BG

Post subject: Re: Sony vs Cannon vs Nikon
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:30 am 

Hi Bushguy,

As stated on previous topics the most important is the glass.
It does not really matter what brand of body you get. They will all make beautiful pics.
The most important is the glass and the availibility to get all the extra's.

I have two old Pentax body's and together with the glasses i make great pictures. The only problem with Pentax is that all the extra's are hard to come by (aftermarket) or that you will really have to pull open your wallet.

So just buy one that you feel comfy with.

Michel

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:31 am 

Thanks Michael

I see Makro have a Canon 450D with standard 18-55 is and 75-300 usm, 4g card, bag, mediaimpression software for just under R10k. Is that good ?

What are IS and USM ?

BG

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:47 am 

Hi BG

I can get you the same deal here in Holland for about R 6000.00 but then again that kind of stuff is just as or even more expensive than here in Holland.

Michel

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:54 am 

I like Pentax due to the fact it has a full stainless Body. Very strong & robust.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:55 am 

That's why I have two. I'm a bit clumsy you see. :lol:
I have noticed that Sprocky has the same problem too. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:59 am 

Hi BG

The Makro special seems to be value for money.

I shoot with Nikon but used to shoot Minolta as the after-sales service here in SA for Minolta was terrible so I traded in all my gear and then had the luxury of choosing either Canon or Nikon. These two brands are the most popular as they have such a large range of products with global back-up. Foto Distributors are the local Nikon agent and they service and repair my gear in record time.

IS stands for Image Stabilization - Nikon has VR - vibration Reduction.
USM stands for Ultrasonic motor - Nikon has SWM - Silent wave motor

The cheaper camera bodies don't have motors so if you like to autofocus you need to get a lens that has a motor.

Mario
http://www.kruger-2-kalahari.com/

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:00 am 

Micel I also have a Pentax, maybe I have the same problem. I walk a lot with the camera & a 70-300 lens. Noe tears or problems in 2 years of dust, water & running.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Bushguy, I have a Sony, but I am new to photography. Like you, I was impressed with the sales talk. The major reason for my buy into the Sony range was the image stabilising. I intended to take my camera on hikes where I would have to rely on my shaky hands to hold the shot.

I was also impressed with the value for money.

I have now reached a point where I am ready to try out different lenses and will probably do some retail "investigation" tomorrow. I do know that Sony took over Konica/Minolta technology, so there should be a vast range available. I will give some feedback on how satisfactory my trip is.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:13 pm 

The same here 007.
They are very rugged camera's and can withstand a beating.
One of my cams I had with me on the dashboard of the car for 18 days and sometimes when we drove over the backroads the corrugation was so severe that I was afraid that the mirror or something else would break. But no. I had it cleaned and everything was still in perfect working order. :cam:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:20 pm 

The handy thing about a Pentax when you are camping is that, if you forget your hammer at home,.....ja,ja,ja. :twisted:

I would not go for any other brand of camera, simply because when I started photography in 1984 Pentax was my first camera and has been since then. :cam: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:55 pm 

I still have my old analog Asahi Pentax Sprocky and still works beautiful.
You too?

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I use the cannon 400d and my daughter the 350d. They are both great cameras. I am perhaps biased but my dad only used cannon and my 1st camera was a cannon which i only replaced when I wanted to upgrade to digital. I used the old one with lenses foe over 25 years with no problems. Th makro deal for the Cannon 450d is great value. I got my 400d on a similar deal 2 years ago and I have not regretted it for one minute. The 450d is the upgrade on the 400d and I think the 500d is now also available, but the difference between the 350d and 400d is not that much, so I would rather go for the special on the 450d than the extra expense of the 500d

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:24 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
In terms of ruggedness, I have to give Sony a beeeeg :thumbs_up:

Anyone who reads my next trip report will read of my camera :big_eyes: horror.
I stood up while on a granite cliff, forgetting that my camera was no longer strapped around my neck.

It went tumbling down a sheer granite rock face, the equivalent to three stories, I would say. We all heard a crashing thud, thud, thud.... and then silence.

I thought, there goes my last chance of being a renowned photographer :redface: :redface: :redface: why didn't I insure it :evil:

The field guide went down to retrieve it and came back with a face like this :D .
The only damage was a few small scratches. My only regret at that moment was that no one had filmed it. I would have sold the footage to Sony.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:11 pm 

They would really have payed you the big bucks for that movie. :lol: