Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: MZNP: Camping
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:12 pm 

Hi! We love going camping with the family and are considering a visit to Karoo NP and Mountain Zebra NP in the beginning of July. Can anyone give some advice whether this is OK/advisable, or whether it is simply too cold. What is the weather like at that time of year? Does it rain regularly? We don't mind roughing it a bit but with two kids aged 3 and 6 one you can only stretch things so far :-)

BTW, I'm talking about camping in a tent, not caravan.
Thanks, Johnny.

Post subject: Re: Camping at Karoo and Mountain Zebra in July?
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:20 pm 

I am the last person to discourage anyone visiting a SANPark - but with two little ones, I am worried it is going to be very cold at night in a tent in both parks, and might not be much fun. Unless you are really kitted out to keep the tent warm.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:21 pm 

My manners!! Welcome to the forums JohnnyR!

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:43 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Howzit JohnnyR & welcome.

Last year on the June 16 long weekend, we camped at Karoo. It was not cold at all when we went to bed at around 22h00, but got colder as the night wore on. A thick duvet or electric blanket at home would be packed in next time. Might be warm with all in one sleeping bag :wink:

It is not the rainy season.

Post subject: Re: Mountain Zebra: Animals
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:28 pm 

Hi BB. Yeah we were very lucky on this trip, after many fustrating trips hoping to see a black rhino. We got to see 2 at night at the waterhole at the rest camp at Addo. Then these two in the picture and then one more on our 2nd day at MZ, just before gate closing time. Just had an opportunity to show the game drive vehicle where he was hiding, but couldnt get any pics in the fading light.

Yes Pumbaa, I loved this park, very remote, quiet, not too busy, great drives, great staff. And we were lucky to have great sightings. We stayed for 3 nights and I think that was just about perfect. Could easily have stayed a night or 2 longer.

Karoo NP 22/4 - 27/4
Berg n Dal 27/12 - 1/1
Satara 1/1 - 4/1
Mokala 6/1 - 8/1

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:34 pm 

Henk, the camp sites are really lovely. We were there in May, and they have redone the ablution facilities, and the kitchen area etc.

Best pics I can offer:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:47 pm 

More pics here - 2005, but still looks much the same.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:55 pm 

Hi Johnny,

Well I have done it and it was cold esspecialy at night Temperatures can fall below zero degrees. Rain ist rarly Noticed either in Karoo nor Mountain Zebra. In Winter the only possibility of Rain is in Form of Snow, but as I said this is rarly noticed. I have lived in Lesotho for a cpouple of years, We nerver had rain in June, July, August. But DonĀ“t forget to bring enough blankets it will be quiet cold. But it is not impossible.You only have bad clothes you will never have bad weather :D

Well I have to say it because I study Geography with the focus on Tourism and Leisure.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
JohnnyR, a warm welcome to you :D

I am going to go with Dinky Bird on this one. I have stayed in chalets in the Karoo in winter and it was bitterly cold. I have camped at Mount Zebra in summer, and it is a beautiful Park, but even in summer, I felt the weather.

My concern would be the little ones. They are still very young to be dealing with those temperatures. Sleeping would be ok if you have all the right gear, but the late night and early morning once out of the warm of the sleeping bag will be difficult.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:48 pm 

Welcome JohnnyR!
We normally throw a waterproof groundsheet between the top cover and inner of the tent to keep the warm air in the tent. At floor level pack a layer of news papers under your matress or even a extra blanket to keep the cold out. Another blanket on top of the matress and a douvet to cover up the rest is a winner. The advantage is that if it is very cold at night the stars is very clear when your nature calls to visit the cold night air in a brave attempt to reach the ablution and back before cooling off to much that your partner....because by then she does not want to be your wife anymore....does not allow you back in your warm snuggly den! :lol:
Jokes aside, the Karoo and MZ is something that one can enjoy even in winter. Go well prepared, a beanie and sleeping socks for the kids with hot chocolate around the fire while watching the stars is a memory made for life. Enjoy your camping!

Post subject: Fridge in Mountain Zebra campsite
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:20 pm 

Hi all

We are planning a camping trip (in a tent) to Mountain Zebra for roughly 5 nights in March 2012. Does anybody if there are cooling facilities (fridge) in the campsite kitchen ? We need to keep foodstuffs cold and would like to use such facilities, if available.

Thanks !

Post subject: Re: Fridge in Mountain Zebra campsite
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:06 pm 

When I was there last year there was no fridge or washing machines. So I went into Craddock to buy fresh meat it is only fifteen minutes away when I needed it. We also used tin food more which was OK most of our problems was with butter, cheese and milk, we ended up using condensed milk and throwing the cheese and butter away (healthier without it). We bought cold drinks from the shop and wine at the last minute. We are investing in a freezer now. But I rather have bread and water and stay five nights then worry about food, such a great place to be.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:32 am 
Guru
Guru

There is a freezer in the campsite communal kitchen now :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:43 am 

Thanks, Megan

That is very good news.

Regards