Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Leopardspotter's Sightings : KNP Oct 2005
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

DAY ONE
First trip to Kruger:
We entered the park though phalaborwa gate and headed straight for
Letaba, after puting up the tent and having a drink we whent for our first game ride in the park.

We had a lot of wonderful sightings, that include a pride of lions eating a giraffe, hippo's grazing on the river bed close by and a herd
of Buffalo with lots of oxpeckers eating all the parasites off of them, all on the S-47(letaba River road). I was'nt very interested in
photography at that time of my life, unfortunetly I did'nt take much pic's of the trip at all.

Got back to Letaba at about 5pm, and relaxed in our shaddy camp spot, on our cosy camping chairs in the WILD!!!. I really enjoyed taking
walks along the restraunt area's view point, wich looks out on the Letaba River(dryed up most of the year) that had a couple of pools of
water left in it.(it most probaly does'nt have a drop of water in it at the moment, because of the drought).

I saw most of the small birdlife in the camp itself: :D

*Crested Barbet
*woodland Kingfisher
*Paridise Flycatch
*Marabou Stork
*Blue Waxbill (very cute little bird)
*Yellowbilled Hornbill
*Grey Lourie
My only dung beetle I have ever seen in Kruger, I saw while walking to the Elephant Musium.
We then went to bed while hearing and feeling the earth vibrate because of the lions roawing and the elephants roaming near the fence!!!

Leopardspotter :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi

When was this trip? Call me pedantic but if you have just got back it probably wasn't a woodland kingfisher. More likely to be one of the hooded. The woodland tend to arrive in December and leave by April. Or are you reporting your first trip which was years ago?!

It also intrigues me what people do and don't see; I would have said it was impossible to visit the Kruger and not see a dung beetle. On the other hand, it took several trips before I saw even a glimpse of a leopard, yet others seem to see them at every bend of the road!

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Never saw one dung beetle on my last trip due to the lack of rain.
Sometimes when I go we do a weaving dance through the dung beetles on the road.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]