Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: HOW FAR? EBB AND FLOW NORTH
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:44 pm 

Hi,
Tnx for reading this request.
I will be visiting Ebb and Flow (North Camp Rondawel) for 12 days in September 2009. :D
Looking at the imagery on Google Earth I seem to find the Main Camp (South) without a problem.
Can anyone please let me know how far the North Camp is from the South?
Allthough having lived in the Western Cape for many years this will be my first visit to this camp.
I will be leaving for "Tussen die Riviere" Park in the OFS on 1/09/2009 and hope someone will read this before then?
tnx agn
Johan

Post subject: Re: HOW FAR? EBB AND FLOW NORTH
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:20 pm 

Johan
The North camp is within two hundred metres of the South Camp rear gate. You can both drive and walk between the two camps.
Most requests on this forum are answered within hours of posting.
Those on the Forum are all fantastic people with a huge amount of knowledge which they are happy to give.
You will enjoy the solitude of the camp.
The accommodation is basic but always clean. The accommodation in the South camp is better but more expensive.
There is no shop on site, however Wilderness has all you will need at the petrol station
Hope this helps
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:55 pm 

JDW,
Thanks for the quick response. No, I am aware of the help via the forums, but when you look at the activities you will note that down South there aint the same amount of action as up North.
Having been in the SANavy all my life, the weather does not worry me, so I am looking fwd to see whats happening in that camp, especially looking fwd to do some photography, wx permitting.
Cld not miss the Rugby notes at the bottom of your reply.
Regards, tnx and enjoy.
Johan

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:05 pm 

Johan
Pleased to have been of help.
1st trip to South Africa was to watch the Commonwealth cup at Simons Town in 2006. Very well organised by the SA Navy and we felt we were most welcome.
2012 is in Australia.
It is very quiet at Wilderness and 12 days is a long time.
Make sure you go to Storm River Mouth, Knysna and some of the bays where the whales are.
Bontibok is also well worth a visit
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:06 am 

JDW,
I have lots of close family in that area. From Mosselbay, Jongensfontein and Knysna there are contacts allready waiting, so the Mrs and I wont be having much "lone" time. On the other hand, a small fishing rod and a fly can make hours seems like minutes.?
Glad you enjoyed 2006 in "Snooky" and I am sure you will enjoy 2012 as well.
I will look up all my old hunting grounds when down at Wilderness, thats for sure. Spent many hours at Keurboomsriver in the 70's.
I lived at Gansbay, before moving to Pretoria, and watched the Southern Right whales from our doorstep.
Cant wait to get down there. By the way still a bit puzzled when looking at the Google imagery and it seems the only Rondavels are North and accross a bridge where there also seems to be a canoing hut facility.
regrds
Johan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 pm 

Johan
All the Rondavels are in the North camp across the bridge.
I'm not sure about the Canoeing hut facility.
We stayed in a Rondavel for a couple of nights, they are really very basic and pretty small. We tried to upgrade to the more expensive accommodation but none was available. The rondavel was adequate for 2 nights but in my opinion not for longer. Don't get me wrong it was very clean and it was serviced each day and had a very good view and was very quiet and peaceful. Perhaps coming from the UK it wasn't what we were used to.
Enjoy your visit
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:10 pm 

JDW,
Tnx, you have now confirmed that I do have the correct Satellite image, (via Google), and it is just perfect.
We will spend very little time inside the bungalow. None of these small places are what we are used to but when you want to enjoy nature, I dont want luxuries. When we sleep all we need are the beds. The wc and the shower inside will be standard size and therefore we wont have to walk "in the rain" to the communal ablutions. What more do you want? The fridge, hotplate etc wont be much different from what we experience in the Kruger NP.
I will let you know how it went and post some pictures.
First , we must face the freezing temperatures for 12 days from 1st August , in a 3 Star chalet, on a game farm ( No underfloor heating :lol: ) in the Orange Free State near a small town "Bethulie". Lots of game and birding. Looking fwd to this as well before we move down to Cape Town and from there to Wilderness.
Regards
Johan