Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 529 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:54 pm 

Does anybody know when the transfrontier park is eventually going to be opened, i.e. the pontoon to cross the Gariep will be in operation to cross between RSA and Namibia?

I have been to the Ricthersveld Park in July last year and then it was indicated that it was expected to be in a "couple of months" (hopefully).

Post subject: Border Post at Sendelingsdrift
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:12 pm 
Dear Eddie

South Africa and Nambia are in the process of developing a new border post and pontoon at Sendelingsdrift in the Ai-Ais / Richtersveld Transfrontier Park. The Sendelingsdrift Border Post will facilitate the movement of tourists between the Namibian and South African components of the Transfrontier Park. Based on progress made to date, it is envisaged that the border post will be completed towards the end of 2005.

Regards

Piet Theron

Post subject: Richtersved info needed
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:16 pm 

We are travelling to the RNP end April staying at De Hoop and Kokerboomkloof (2 nights each), and request following info:
1 Are there ablutions at these camps with running water
2 What day/night temps can we expect
3 What wind conditions
4 Any other useful info. drives, features, river conditions etc

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:52 pm 

We went to Richtersveld in August 2003 and there were no facilities in the park whatsoever. Friends went last year and I believe there are now toilets and showers at the camp sites (I think all of them - not sure).

Remember, Kokerboomkloof is not near a river so there's no water there.

We found De Hoop to be really nice. The camp site is on a dry river bed.

Not sure of the weather in April but in August we found the days to be warm/hot and the eveninings and nights quite cool and sometimes a bit windy (especially at De Hoop 'cos it's so open).

We really loved this park and can't wait to go again. We spent 5 days there and only on one day did we see 1 vehicle with 2 people in it the whole time we were there. They were at the same camp site as us (at Richtersberg).

Post subject: Richtersveld Info PLEASE!!!
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:08 pm 

Hi

I am desperately looking for info on Richtersveld. I feel that the website does not give me enough info.

I would love to have a chat to someone who has been there. My plan is to go in August (end) and I need to know the distances between the campsites and places of interest. What to take along, Weather at that time of the year, and any tips.

From there we are going to Augrabies any other info on that would also be great

Thanks
Laura

Last edited by Dotty on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
email address deleted

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:21 pm 

Hi there,

I am mad about the Richtersveld, having grown up in the region.

I go there quite regularly, i.e. the park itself and the greater Richtersveld area.

I'll send you my personal email and cell no via your email adress.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Hi Eddie, I think it will be worthwhile to post your experiences here for everyone else to read.
Thanks
WTM.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:26 pm 

Hi WTM,

Give me a couple of days and I will type up something. Maybe will be in the form of an article, will probably be too long for a mail message.

I really love this country, I have been fortunate enough to travel abroad as well, but this is really something special. A couple of years ago in Washington DC (we were staying with my brother-in-law whom at that point in time was one of the military attaches there), there were number of neigbours and friends over. One of the American friends could not "understand" how I was/could be so passionate about RSA. It was not difficult to explain (with the support of a coup publications) that in a country that respresents an area not much bigger than two or more of the US states combined, we have a unique blend of geographics and climates. In some instances it changes every 200 to 300 km's, we have something of everything here. In America you could travel through 9 or 10 states and verything is still the same. Go to a park there and you would hardly find any wild life, there are often more around the towns, especialyy "tree rats" (squirrel) and "road rats" (racoons).

Will post something soon.

Post subject: Richtersveld Trans
Unread postPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:27 pm 

Hi, here's some great info for those who wishes to travel say from the Richtersveld NP to Ai-Ais in Namibia and/or visa versa.
As you might be aware of the border crossing at Sendelingsdrif is not operational yet, however there's an independent company that would arrange for security clearance access to the Sperrgebiet (diamond area) via Oranjemund- Namibia. Obviously at a small fee!!
This would allow you to either:
1.) drive from the Richterveld NP back to Alexander Bay then cross over the border into Namibia, then
2.) drive along the North Bank Road (Oranjemund to Rosh-Pinah) and to Ai-Ais, but this specific route requires a 4x4 vehicle. Reason being when you reach the Fish River there you need to turn into the mountains and follow the route until you reach the Ai-Ais - Noordoewer road. This T-junction is approximately 20km from Ai-Ais.
(The other alternative is to continue along the Orange River till you get to Noordoewer and then go up to Ai-Ais.)
Driving this route is approximately 200km. This great because now you cut out approximately 200km round trip, say from Alexander Bay down to Port Nolloth, from there to Steinkopf then back up Vioolsdrif. Now you need to cross over the border via Noordoewer, from there into Ai-Ais. This also applies for traveling from Ai-Ais to Richtersveld NP. Unfortunately this is a gravel road but is well maintained by Namdeb Diamond Corporation

Rgds

Post subject: Springbok to Richtersveld
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:41 am 

Hi

I need info on which road to take from Springbok to the Richterveld, on the website mention is made of a road through the Helskloof reserve between Vioolsdrif and Eksteensfontein, anyone got more info on this road, does this mean that I need to make a border crossing if I take this road ?

Some suggestions on which campsites to visit would be really nice as well.

Thank you
Marius

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:13 am 

We went to the Richtersveld in August 2003.

From Springbok we first went to Port Nolloth (camped there) then up to Alelxander Bay and then to the park - we hadnt been to this are before.

After the park we went to Eksteenfontein and stayed in a house/B&B that is run by the community. Can't remember it's name but I think someone spoke of it on the forum so maybe do a search for it. We just asked at the one shop we found in the town.

From there we went past Vioolsdrift back to Springbok. You don't cross any borders. Vioolsdrift is the border between SA and Namibia.

In the Richtersveld we stayed at Potjiespram (not too bad), at De Hoop which was lovely, at Richtersberg which was the best especially if you camp right on the river (which we did). Kokerboom kloof is also really nice. We went to De Koei (were supposed to stay there but didn't) but didn't like it so left.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Richtersveld on bikes
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:18 pm 

Hi

We are 3 couples that want to do Richtersveld on 4 off-road bikes....

1. Are we allowed to do it?
2. Where not to go..
3. I what a detailed map of this region

Thanx

Post subject: Re: Richtersveld on bikes
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:30 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

1:I don't think it would be allowed purely based on the fact that they have leopard there ... but please don't take my word ... maybe first find out from them ...

2:I haven't been to the Richtersveld so would not be able to answer that one ...

3:Not to detailed but should help with an indication.

Map

Try this link for some more info as well: Richtersveld National Park

Or you can contact them ... you'll find the details here Contact Details

Here is someone else's experience when he visited...Travellers' Tales

Post subject: Ais-Ais
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:37 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Does Ais-Ais fall under National Parks?
Can you use your wild card there as well ?

Kruger booked for 2015.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:41 am 

Yes it does. Here you go, Oumie:
link

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next