Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fevertree's Sightings : KNP Oct 2005
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:05 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Entered at Malelane on saturday morning. To say that the vegetaion between Malelane and Croc Bridge is dry is a bit of an understatement.
Good sightings of buffalo, elephant and rhino along the S25. There is no grass left in the vicinty of the Crocodile River though.
Where the Biyamiti River joins the Croc River, a pride of lions (about 10 as far as I could see) were lazing in the sand and on the bank. They showed a bit of interest in a Ground Hornbill that was foraging in the river bed as well, but I think th heat got the better of their ideas :)

At the Gayisenga waterhole, was an amzing collection of animals - rhino, zebra, wildebeest, impala, warthog. giraffe and duiker all together. About a 100 m from the dam was apparently a pack of wild dogs, but I could not see them though :?
More rhino were seen at Gomondwane waterhole, and a herd of ellies just at the entrance to Lower Sabie.
Saturday afternoon took a drive to Mlondozi Dam and the Muntshe area.
Great ellie sightings at Mlondozi - bathing in the dam - which fortunately still has quite a bit of water.
Mating pair of lions and one additional female at the Loskop waterhole opposite Muntshe.
Also in this area were another 4 rhino sightings, as well as several reedbuck.
There were enormous herds of wildbeest and zebra, as well as many waterbuck and kudu. Was one on of the most pleasant drives I have had in the Park.
Yesterday morning, decided to drive the H10 route again. This time it delivered another 7 rhino sightings, a male lion who cam across the remains of a kill. He was clealry not impressed that his ladies had not informed him that dinner was on the table the night before :shock: He paced the area up and down sniffing for any sign of them and then roared several times.
He was in turn being tagged by a side striped jackal - the first of 2 sightings of this species yesterday.
Again, hordes of general game as well as some great bird sightings - white headed and lappet faced vultures, fish eagles at Mlondozi doing aerial displays.
If you can get to Lower Sabie at the moment, you will defintely not be disappointed by the game viewing in that area. There is still some water in the Mlondozi Spruit and Mlondozi dam and the vegetation is not nearly as desscicated as the vegetation on the granite based soils.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:27 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Had some great raptor sightings - fish eagles, tawny eagles, black breated snake eagle, bateleurs of course. Along the Sabie river - goliath herons, saddle billed storks, great white egrets, yellow billed storks amongst others. Missed a great photo opportunity of 5 brown headed parrots in a sickle bush together :(
I am happy with my bird list in the Park as long as I can tick off a Purple crested Loerie. Although they are relatively common in nelspruit, they remain one of the most stunning birds. Gladly, I can say that Lower Sabie has heaps of PCL in the gardens :D
Also good to see some of the summer migrants - red breasted swallows wahlbergs eagle etc. At least they have faith that the rains are going to arrive

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

H10 is a really good route at the moment. Loads of sightings if you look at the camp's sightings board. Found huge herds of zebra and wildebeest.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:11 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

You really cannot go wrong in that area right now. Make sure you stop in at Mlondozi Dam. It is the major source of water in the area at the moment and there are a lot of animals using that as a water source.
Driving that road as far as the Nkumbe lookout and then back to Lower Sabie guarantees you of great game viewing. But the rains are coming soon (we hope) and then all the game scatters from that area again - so be quick!
Also meant to mention that there seems to be quite a lot of cheetah activity in that same area - evidenced by the amount of relatively fresh droppings on the stone direction posts.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]