Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 5 of 5
 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
arks wrote:
I don't recall a "river" along the Mahonie Loop :shock: :? and don't see any river on either of my maps, tho there are a couple of watereholes. Have I missed something :? :?:

Perhaps I should call it a stream :redface: it is not on the map.

:lol: There was SO much water in the whole park when I was last there in July 2000 (midwinter, yet I'd never seen the park so lush and green!) that I probably didn't really notice ... tho some memory is coming back now of an ellie by a stream on the loop.

DinkyBird wrote:
Freda wrote:
It's the most relaxing place on earth for me

For me too :lol: just making sure I get into the gate before closing is the only time I 'watch' the clock.

I also have a watch just to make sure I get back before the gate closes, but apart from that, it's total disconnect. I know there are newspapers in the shops, but I make a point of not looking at them. And I've never felt that I've missed anything during my time in the park :D Being so totally disconnected from the outside world is, I find, very liberating 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:20 pm 

Heavy skies....but not much rain.

The animals seemed to really enjoy the bit of fine rain that did fall - and even drank from little pools in the road.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by DinkyBird on Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:55 pm 

Bouf wrote:
Thanks for the reports DB. Sorry to hear about the hiccup with your photos. Frank appears to have added a number of birds to your list.
Your discription of the wind at Shingwedzi brought back memories.

Did you also experience wind at Shingwedzi? I have only experience wind like that in Kruger once before -at Satara many years ago and everything too ended up covered in dust!

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:54 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

DinkyBird wrote:
Bouf wrote:
Thanks for the reports DB. Sorry to hear about the hiccup with your photos. Frank appears to have added a number of birds to your list.
Your discription of the wind at Shingwedzi brought back memories.

Did you also experience wind at Shingwedzi? I have only experience wind like that in Kruger once before -at Satara many years ago and everything too ended up covered in dust!

On one of our previous trips a couple of years back we had strong winds at Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara and Skukuza. That was the last time my SO wanted to go camping in Kruger and from then on we stay in Bungalows :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:08 am 

DinkyBird wrote:
. Frank did go up to each person at the picnic area and greet them too - he really is friendly.

We also witnessed that. A credit to SANparks :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:13 am 

bert wrote:
Love the birdlist. A great thing to do

Yes - it was more of a 'birding' trip this time. Keeps one busy too :D there is always someting to watch and appreciate.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:55 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Different parts of Kruger suit different people. I dislike Berg-en-Dal / Malelane and the surrounding area, but other people love it.

Northern Kruger has fewer animals, but far better birds. The mopani forests can go on for a bit long.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:56 pm 

I cannot remember when last I have seen Letaba camp looking so dry. I always recall Letaba as the ‘green’ camp with lovely lush lawns.

I was enchanted by the birdlife in the camp. I was able to add to my bird list. No need to set an alarm to wake one in time for sunrise at Letaba – the birdsong does that. Then of course there are the resident bushbucks – their numbers seem to have increased since I was last there. Each night a lone hyena patrolled the camp fence.

I love sitting on the verandah outside the restaurant where one is always able to see some animals in the riverbed; ellies grazing peacefully, giraffe and waterbuck enjoy coming that way for a drink. And a large flock of marabou storks sit on the sand on the opposite bank. Wonderful to watch them soar above the camp before they come in to land.

There are many elephant in the areas surrounding Letaba. There was some general game about as well and of course we spotted some cat tracks…. had a good look around for a cat but without the luck of finding it.

The baby ellie in this pic is the smallest one I have ever seen. He was still wobbly on his feet!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:08 pm 

We thoroughly enjoyed watching the bird life from the Matambeni Hide. A large flock of Egyptian geese had gathered on the Engelhard Dam. Apart from many waterbirds on the dam we also saw hippo and crocs from the hide.

I will always love the Letaba camp and surrounding area. We have our sundowners on the high water bridge and watch the swifts gathering above before they roost (how on earth does one tell one type of swift from another?). There is always some activity in the water below the bridge to enjoy as the sun sinks.

It was with heavy hearts that we left Letaba. We did not feel like leaving the Park, so decided to keep driving south to see how far we could get before we had to say our final goodbye.

Took this from the high water bridge over the Olifants River.

South of Olifants one definitely sees more animals along the road than in the northern areas.

We were extremely lucky to pass a pair of mating lions, not too far off the road, near Siloweni Dam. Cats at last!

We drove to Lower Sabie and left the Park at Crocodile Bridge. At Makhohlolo Dam we saw two rhino. It was an extremely hot day and all the animals were hidden in the shade.

This was the first time that I had ever done Kruger right through from the north to south during one trip.

A very hot ground hornbill.

Impala

Crocodile River - leaving the Park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:14 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Great report, love the photo's...

Dinky, that parrot, is that a juvenile brownheaded? (I'm not a birder, but that is what I would have said.)

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the report and pix, DB. Seems like you had a very rewarding trip and my guess is that you see more when the park is this dry â€â€

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:38 pm 

Very true arks - I have found the same. I never go to Kruger hoping to see anything specific so am never disappointed and always delighted!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:23 pm 

DuQues wrote:
Great report, love the photo's...

Dinky, that parrot, is that a juvenile brownheaded? (I'm not a birder, but that is what I would have said.)

Will have to wait for the pro's for an answer to that one. It was very 'tame' - allowed me to get really close to it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5