Skip to Content

All day driving vs morning & late evening driving?

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: All day driving vs Morning and late evening driving?

Unread postby wingman » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:45 am

Hi we tend to do more morning and late afternoon drives starting with coffee and rusks and then onto a picnic site for egg and bacon and and back to camp by 11h30 then laze around the pools until 15h00 and out again, this varies depending on the route for the afternoon or day. We also do one or two full day trips to other camps or areas we are not staying at on that trip so that will be a picnic breakfast long lunch break and back in the afternoon with probably a picnic or bridge stop on the way.
We find viewing does slow down in the heat of the day but have seen some good sightings at midday. the camps are nice to explore around mid day as they tend to be not so busy.

Dakka

Unread postby Dakka » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:55 am

We usually have at least one day drive, mostly to go to a specific spot we wish to visit otherwise its two trips a day. Too many day trips is like driving to Cape Town and back, it gets to you.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:03 pm

This ia moot point, with strong arguments for both.

For all day drives.
1. You can cover greater distances.
2. You can lunch at further camps/picnic sites
3. You are out there maximizing the time
Against
1. It is very tiring if you are not hard core.
2. Often you see little in the heat of the day
For morning & evening drives
1. You can have a break at camp and do chores, sleep or swim etc
2. You can have your main meal so that you can maximize the early morning & late evening
Against
1. If the area is quiet you might see very little
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

harrys
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: How Fast Do You Drive?

Unread postby harrys » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:59 am

We just got back from Kruger and and we had wonderfull sightings :dance: .I find driving at 35km/h(on the gps)you have a good chance have great sightings.
Say NO to hotels in KNP!!!

KNP:
Punda Maria:1-4 August 2015
Shingwedzi:4-8 August 2015
Letaba:8-10 August
Golden Gate: 15 to 20 November 2015

garrow

Unread postby garrow » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:32 pm

I believe the more kilometres you do on a game drive the better your chances are of seeing more game than someone who drives very slow. I travel at 20km per hour on roads where the bush is very thick eg. Lower timbavati, 40km on roads through mopani type veld and 50 km on roads where I feel you would waste time if you travelled too slowly eg. between satara and olifants

garrow

Unread postby garrow » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Oddesy if I think of what I have seen over the past 25 years in kruger I would have to attribute this success to the fact that I try to cover as many kms as I can when I go on a game drive. You do have a valid point that if a leopard, lion, etc. was sitting at the side of the road and you went past at a higher speed you could miss the opportunity of a better sighting. But on the other hand if you travelled too slow or stopped for every impala you could also miss a sighting like we did on new year,s day when we missed a leopard which was lying in the tar road a minute before we arrived at that spot

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 am

I have tried the quicker method and, though you cover more kilometres, the extent of bush that you can effectively and accurately observe is much diminished. If you look in any well-researched books of game-driving, the recommendation is always to drive slowly, scan at every opportunity, and involve as many senses as possible. There have been several times I have stopped for a suspicious impala snort, or an elephant's trumpet, or even a rapid rustle of the grass verge, and been rewarded with great, or at least interesting, sightings.

I would love to challenge those who think speed in game parks yield more sightings to a one-on-one competition: the "speedsters" (40-50 km/h regulars) and the "appreciators" (<30km/h regulars) teams go to Kruger for 7 days, and at the end of this time period, we total the number of (special) sightings to see who would be more correct. :wink: :wink:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:22 am

Well, it's obviously working for you! Each to his OWN :lol: :twisted: . I prefer the exciting atmosphere that I engender by driving slower, and for me this is half the power of the bush. I'm glad to hear that, despite travelling a little quicker than some others of us, you're still seeing top-quality sightings! We're all in this together and I'm always happy when other mites see good things. Please post your stats - always an interesting read. :thumbs_up:
I have spent many years chasing after "other-people's" sightings, only to have a low success rate with this. So, I now drive at a relaxed speed that allows me to look into all the gaps, and wait for nature to provide her magic! On parts of the S100, I often take it up to 30-35 as one can see so far there; but I would be quite stressed and disappointed if I did this on a regular basis.
Thanks for the comparisons, garrow; it's always good to get other people's views on a subject.

WE'D APPRECIATE IT IF OTHERS STATE THEIR OWN VIEWS AND EXPERIENCES ON THIS SUBJECT HERE!
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Am I a very slow driver?
On Saturday I drove P'kop to Afsaal and back, via Fayi loop, Voortrekker Road, Afsaal-Skukuza road and Napi Road. It took over 6 hours.

On Sunday I drove P'kop to Skukuza via Phabeni and the Sabie River road, back along Doispane road. This also took around 6 hours.

For most of it I was travelling around 20-25km/h and stopping often for bird parties.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Last trip I travelled a day trip from Tshokwane around Munyiwini road to Lugmag dam to N'waswitsontso loop to Trichardt road to Lindanda road and back to the starting point - around 108 km took 11 hours including stops of about 2 hours . With regular stops to listen I seldom exceed 25 km/h .
Last edited by ndloti on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2013)

Re: All day driving vs morning & late evening driving?

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:12 am

We prefer to do early to mid morning drives and then late afternoon drives. We adore the freshness of the early mornings and the smell of the veldt at the dawn of a new day. The smell of the sun baked veldt in the late afternoons is also very good and after a thunderstorm it is just magical. During the day we prefer being in the camps to enjoy the very special and unique Kruger character and architecture. To us the older section in Shingwedzi is particularly good for that as well as Punda Maria :D .
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Linkoe

Unread postby Linkoe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:31 am

we leave when gate opens and come back when gate closes, so we drive all day long, stopping for breakfast and then again around lunch time, it is hard on us but we need to use all the time we have in the knp. In between all this we fit in a night drive just something wonderful about it even if we don't see much its just magic in the bush at night. we always done this in the summer, now we are changing to winter and I am sure it will be much easier. I suppose its all about your own personal needs and limits. Change your routine for a day if you don't like it go back to the drawing board. To me the most important part is you have to enjoy it.

Flutterby
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Flutterby » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:39 am

Hi Eddie29,

We also leave when the gates open and return when they close. My 12 year old son won't have it any other way!!! :roll: We do stop at a picnic spot somewhere for brunch, or return to camp for a quick dip in the pool, otherwise it's go, go, go! :D And I have to say we have had some fantastic sightings in the heat of the day! :dance:
"I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?"

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Bushcraft

Unread postby Bushcraft » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:59 am

Hi Eddie,

We do an early morning drive and are generally back in camp by 10am and leave for an afternoon drive at about 3:30pm. I have 3 kids under the age of 10 and all day in the car is too long for them.

I remember KNP as a kid with my folks who chose to drive all day and it took an element of enjoyment away for me as a kid.

Bundi

Unread postby Bundi » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:05 pm

We also prefer morning and afternoon drives, especially in summer.

During the heat of the day we laze around camp, go for a swim and so on.

During the winter months, we sometimes stay out for the whole day, but I still prefer the morning and afternoon drives.

Return to “Kruger National Park”