Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Re: Spotted Hyaena

Unread postby wildtuinman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:32 pm

On a Bushman's trail in 2005 we had a pack of Hyenas bringing down and devouring an adult female Impala one evening right next to the camp fence (just a little left of the waterhole lookout). There was a noise of note as the frenzy went on and the next morning the lone hoof of the animal was the only thing to support evidence of the happening.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby p@m » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:12 pm

Liam -- believe in Kruger that they hunt more than scavenge.
Source : Prime Origins guide to Exploring Kruger by Brett Hilton-Barber.

Richprins

Unread postby Richprins » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:23 pm

This family 5km North of Shingwedzi, end September. Missing two yearling cubs not on the pic.

Yolandé Oelsen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Yolandé Oelsen » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:43 am

Great photo Richprince.

We saw this family near Olifants camp july this year.
There was an older sibling and then 3 even younger ones.

Mommy watched carefully as I photographed the little ones.

Then nr 3 came out of the den to see what's going on.
www.whereeaglesrest.co.za
STIFFNECK
"I'll rise up like the Eagle & I will soar with You because Your Spirit leads me on ~ by the Power of Your Love"

shangri-la

Unread postby shangri-la » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:08 pm

I have seen Hyaena in the storm dran pipe, have a look at my photos

I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby roaneric » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:36 pm

This little one was struggling to untie my yellow ribbon. :naughty:

Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

Rusty Justy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)

Unread postby Rusty Justy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:13 pm

roaneric, you really did have some great experiences in the Park!!! :D But this is something else! :lol: :lol:
:dance: STIFFNECKS MEMBER :dance:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Wild about cats » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:32 am

Seen on the H3 I think :D

Next SANPark: Mapungubwe 2015

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Letaba Ladies, 3rd Edition - '14 - '15

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby p@m » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:11 pm

Has anybody an idea what age the little black one can be?

Less than 8 weeks. I think that is when heir spots start to appear.

Bush Andy

Unread postby Bush Andy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 am

A bird in the hand should be in the Bush!! ;)

Yolandé Oelsen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Hyaena, Spotted

Unread postby Yolandé Oelsen » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:20 am

Has anyone seen the program on Hyaena's on NatgeoWild last night?
It also showed how the females of one hyaena clan attacked a big male from another clan that came into their territory - during the attack they all go for his ears and spine. He came out of this attack alive, but without his ear. Another one's nose and left side of his mouth was ripped off.
We saw hyaena's on our Kruger trip last week on the road between Orpen and Satara, and the one was missing an ear too. Here is a photo:

www.whereeaglesrest.co.za
STIFFNECK
"I'll rise up like the Eagle & I will soar with You because Your Spirit leads me on ~ by the Power of Your Love"

balu

Hyena Scare

Unread postby balu » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:02 pm

In 2006, after a 16 year 'drought' (we had twins with ADHD and couldn't visit the KNP with the terrors :roll: ), we finally made it back to the Kruger.
As all three our children were with us and it is a 1600 Km trip for us, the budget only allowed for a camping.

During this time, we had a nightly nocturnal visitor - a hyena. He made sure that I got very little sleep. :wink:

The twins were (at their insistence) in their own tent and on our last night, I awoke to the usual crashing of the trash can behind our tent. I followed the shadow of the hyena - from his sniffing and marking of our tent to his place of rest between our tent and the twins tent.
I gently nudged my husband awake and pointed at the shadow. At the same time, one of the twins awoke, spotted the shadow and informed her sibling that the hyena was sitting next to them. Twin number two thought twin number one had lost it and turned to look. As she was turning, the hyena let rip with a loud whoop!! This had the 16 year old twins yelling for 'mommy' while trying to escape the confines of the tent. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only problem, they kept grabbing the wrong zip and ended up continuously zipping the tent 'closed'. :wall:
On our return in 2008, I was sorry to hear that the hyena had been 'destroyed' as he had become a menace. I must just add, that the 2008 trip had us sleeping in a hut and not in a tent as the hyena had even made me jittery. :redface:
2009 will see us in a tent again - any creatures of the night in Lower Sabie camp at the moment?? Will I sleep peacefully or do a need my ten million candle power torch and sleeping pills?? :pray: :pray:
KRUGER 2011 - I refuse to compete with FIFA WC for my piece of paradise!!
Addo Elephant Park - weekly!!

balu

Re: Hyena Scare

Unread postby balu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:22 am

Although scary (or should I say hairy?), there is absolutely NOTHING that compares to being so close to nature! As long as you remember the golden rule - you are in the wild territory, not the wild in yours. Respect them and they will respect you. I know you are going to enjoy every minute of your time spent in Kruger and will return home with a zillion photographs and a memory that will last a life time :D

I will be flying my yellow ribbon!
KRUGER 2011 - I refuse to compete with FIFA WC for my piece of paradise!!
Addo Elephant Park - weekly!!

Pamwe Chete

Re: Hyena spotting

Unread postby Pamwe Chete » Fri May 08, 2009 8:05 am

On a recent trip to BnD I was informed that there are no brown Hyena's in the KNP (but there are apparently in KTP). Striped hyenas are found in north and east Africa and what was called Arabia.

Spotted hyenas are the largest of three hyena species. Although hyenas appear similar to dogs, they are actually more closely related to cats, and live in groups called clans.

There are plenty of spotted hyena dotted around the park, and apparently they only scavenge between 30 and 40 % of their food the other 60 - 70% is hunted. The striped and brown hyena are thought to scavenge a significantly larger portion, and hunt less.

Another bit of useless information is that they also make extremely good mothers, so much so that is a mother dies (for whatever reason) the aunts in the den take over nursing the cubs. Spotted hyenas usually have 2 cubs at a time and they are raised for about 10 months. A same sexed litter will result in vicious fighting between the cubs (sublicide), often resulting in death (sometimes as much as 25%). Spotted hyena milk is very rich, having the highest protein content (14.9%) of any land carnivore, and the fat content (14.1%) is second only to the polar bear, so unlike lions and wild dogs, they can leave their cubs for about a week without feeding them. Young depend entirely on milk for about 8 months and are not weaned until 12 to 16 months old. Maturation is at three years, females later than males. Female offspring remain in their natal clan while males leave at around two years.

Hyenas are able to consume and digest parts of prey that would remain untouched by other animals. They completely digest organic matter such as bones, while indigestible items such as hooves, horns, ligaments and hair are regurgitated in pellets.

As you can see these are my favorite animals, and it is sad that they patrol the Satara (and other camp) boundary fence, as in my mind this means people have been feeding them and as a result they have probably lost their fear of man. The knock on effect of this is that they will probably have to be destroyed in future when they become a real menace to people.

STOP FEEDING THE WILD ANIMALS PEOPLE, YOU ARE SIGNING THEIR DEATH WARRANTS
"Pamwe Chete" - The motto of the SELOUS SCOUTS, Shona meaning "Together only!" or "All Together"

Richard Roundtree

DOGMAD

Re: Hyena spotting

Unread postby DOGMAD » Sat May 09, 2009 9:08 am

Hi forumites,
Hyena are also my favourite animals and love to photograph them,if you look at the Satara cam highlites you will always get a pic of the hyena that roam the fence,i agree that visitors to the park feed these animals as on my visit in December i saw a person throw the remnants of a hamburger over the fence.

On the Phabeni road after all the rains we came across a young pup,black in colour that was forced out of the culvert due to all the rain,this pup had an older sister which was eating on a rotten carcass,on enquiring from the SANPARKS ranger who was viewing this she said that the mother had been killed about a week ago and that the young hyena was eating one of her brothers/sisters.
The next day we visited the site again and the same ranger informed us that the pup had dissapeared but the young one had joined up with another clan,when searching we found the young hyena playing with the other pups.

A
wonderful trip as we saw plenty hyena and wild dog.

Will post pics once i have learnt how to do this.
Mad about Dogs or
Just DogMad

Booked
CB 10-11 JAN
SK 12-13 JAN
SET 14-16 JAN

Return to “Mammals”