Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cape plants and flowers
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Many, many thanks for your help with these, JB, and for your encouragement! :D :dance:

I've copied your replies here, so that they will be part of the info for this separate Cape ID thread.

I'm sorry you're having to battle to get forum access, agree with Imberbe (in the other thread) about those bribes

I'm really chuffed that I got 4 out of 5 of these, and those many, many diasies are most perplexing, especially when working with comparing one photo (mine) to another (fieldguide) :roll:

I will collect a few more of my remaining mysteries and post them soon, and I'll wait patiently for you to have time to have a look :wink: I'm continuing to always try to work the plants and flowers out for myself first, but I'm still lacking confidence in my own IDs. It helps enormously to have your confirmation!!

Jakkalsbessie wrote:
arks wrote:
I'll start with some of those that I've guessed at, some of my guesses I'm more confident of than others. All were seen at Cape Point in October.

:redface: really sorry for answering so late arks but it is absolutely crazy at work :evil: :wall:

Way to go!! I must really congratulate you on an excellent job!! :clap:

arks wrote:
1. This first one is, I think, the thistle protea (protea scolymocephala)?

Correct :thumbs_up:

arks wrote:
2. This one is, I think, lesser purple ragwort (senecio arenarius)?

A good guess although the leaves are needed to be absolutely sure, but i would rather go for Senecio elegans :wink:

arks wrote:
3. This one is possibly manulea tomentosa? Does it have a common name?

Correct. A common name for members of this genus is "Vingertjies" {"little fingers"} .

arks wrote:
4. This one, I think, is the rosescented pelargonium (pelargonium capitatum)?

Correct :dance:

arks wrote:
5. Perhaps false slugwort (dischisma ciliatum)?

Correct :clap:

arks wrote:
6. And this one, perhaps featherhead roemanaggie (struthiola striata)?

And again correct 8)

:thumbs_up: great job arks!

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:09 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here are some more of my many Cape flower mysteries. I have tried to work out the ID on all of them, but lack confidence in my IDs. These first three were all seen in West Coast National Park on 28 September 2007.

1. This first one is, I think, either solanum linnaeanum or solanum giftbergense. The leaves look more like the latter, but WCNP is in the range of the former (the latter's range is a bit farther north).

2. This one is, I think, ruschia tecta.

3. And this one, because of the toothed, lobed leaves, I think should be senecio arenarius rather than senecio elegans.

These next three are flowers that I saw in the Waylands Wildflower Reserve in Darling on 29 September 2007.

4. This shrub, which I saw in many different places in the Cape, is, I think, the pajama plant, lobostemon fruticosus. Colours ranged from palest pink to quite deep blue. Does anyone know why it's called pajama plant?? :?

5. This is an ice plant, I think, but which one? None of the photos in my fieldguide show really red flowers, the closest seems to be lampranthus aurantiacus, but the fieldguide describes its flowers as orange. These were definitely red.

6. This is a type of iris, but again, which one? The closest photo I can find in my fieldguide is the moraea tricolor, or perhaps the peacock moraea moraea villosa? However, this flower seems quite a bit different from both of those :?

As always, any help and pointers will be much appreciated!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:24 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Here are some more of my many Cape flower mysteries. I have tried to work out the ID on all of them, but lack confidence in my IDs. These first three were all seen in West Coast National Park on 28 September 2007.

1. This first one is, I think, either solanum linnaeanum or solanum giftbergense. The leaves look more like the latter, but WCNP is in the range of the former (the latter's range is a bit farther north).

I would go with Solanum linnaeanum

arks wrote:
2. This one is, I think, ruschia tecta.

Yes i agree with Ruschia, but to identify the species would require an expert :?

arks wrote:
3. And this one, because of the toothed, lobed leaves, I think should be senecio arenarius rather than senecio elegans.

I would rather opt for Senecio elegans, because it is a taller plant than S. arenarius.

arks wrote:
These next three are flowers that I saw in the Waylands Wildflower Reserve in Darling on 29 September 2007.

4. This shrub, which I saw in many different places in the Cape, is, I think, the pajama plant, lobostemon fruticosus. Colours ranged from palest pink to quite deep blue. Does anyone know why it's called pajama plant?? :?

I agree :thumbs_up:
Unfortunately i don't know why it is called "pajama plant". :?
The common afrikaans name is "Agtdaegeneesbossie" (* directly translated means "eight day healing bush" and refers to the belief of some that this plant could heal a number of ailments within eight days.

arks wrote:
5. This is an ice plant, I think, but which one? None of the photos in my fieldguide show really red flowers, the closest seems to be lampranthus aurantiacus, but the fieldguide describes its flowers as orange. These were definitely red.

Probably a Lampranthus yes but again only an expert on the group would be able to identify the species :wink:

arks wrote:
6. This is a type of iris, but again, which one? The closest photo I can find in my fieldguide is the moraea tricolor, or perhaps the peacock moraea moraea villosa? However, this flower seems quite a bit different from both of those :?

Nope unfortunately not an iris, but a member of the Haemodoraceae. It is a Wachendorfia, probably W. paniculata.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks SO much for your help with these, JB, and your illuminating comments. It is useful for me to know that identifying particular species of those daisies and ice plants is probably impossible :wink: Now I won't feel so frustrated when I can't find "matches" in my fieldguide. :)

Jakkalsbessie wrote:
I would rather opt for Senecio elegans, because it is a taller plant than S. arenarius.

Good point and one I can't tell from a photo (and poor memory!)

Jakkalsbessie wrote:
arks wrote:

The common afrikaans name is "Agtdaegeneesbossie" (* directly translated means "eight day healing bush" and refers to the belief of some that this plant could heal a number of ailments within eight days.

Very interesting that the Afrikaans name is so different from that English one. And interesting that this plant has healing properties.

Jakkalsbessie wrote:
arks wrote:

Nope unfortunately not an iris, but a member of the Haemodoraceae. It is a Wachendorfia, probably W. paniculata.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this! Since I was convinced that it was an iris, I didn't even look elsewhere in my book :redface: (And even so, I don't know that I would have found it :? )

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 pm 

arks wrote:
Thanks SO much for your help with these, JB, and your illuminating comments. It is useful for me to know that identifying particular species of those daisies and ice plants is probably impossible :wink: Now I won't feel so frustrated when I can't find "matches" in my fieldguide. :)

arks wrote:

Jakkalsbessie wrote:

Very interesting that the Afrikaans name is so different from that English one. And interesting that this plant has healing properties.

Always a pleasure arks :wink:

I looked it up in some of my books last night but can not find any explanation for the name “pajama/pyjama plant” :?
The other Afrikaans vernacular name “douwurmbos” indicates the use for treating ringworm - “douwurm” = ringworm, “bos” = bush/shrub.

As for the healing properties:

The fresh leaves and twigs are used in medicine. Decoctions of the plant are an old Cape remedy for wounds, skin diseases and ringworm (as mentioned).
The fresh leaves and branch tips are ground to a paste and applied to wounds & the crushed leaves may be fried in sweet oil or fat and used as a wound healing ointment.

Infusions have also been used as a tea to treat internal problems and to purify the blood.
The tea is made of fresh leaves (apparently one quarter cup leaves to one cup boiling water; stand for five minutes, strain and drink) and drunk first thing in the morning; said to be a cure for ringworm in humans and animals.
This tea can also be used for skin diseases, rashes, eczema and sores, with bandages soaked in the brew, also for bites and scratches.

Further Lobostemon is closely related to Comfrey (Symphytum officinale), and may also contain allantoin, a substance well known for its wound-healing properties.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the additional fascinating information, JB! And I just thought it was such a really pretty shrub :roll: :wink:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here are a few more of my Cape mystery flowers :) The first two were seen in the Waylands wildflower reserve in Darling on 29 September 2007.

1.This first one is, I think, ornithogalum flaccidum, alternative latin name appears to be albuca flaccidum, common name rainflower?

2. This is, I think, either the snake flower (ornithogalum dubium) or else the yellow ixia (ixia dubia?

These two I saw on Waylands farm, but not in the wildflower reserve.

3. This one looks very much like a noxious weed we have in New England called vetch. There are several varieties; common or garden vetch is vicia sativa, which belongs to the pea family. The only thing in my fynbos book that looks close to this is also a type of pea, lessertia rigida, and there are no vicia plants in this book, so I'm puzzled.

4. This one is, I think, a type of iris (altho the common name appears to be Cape tulip? :? ), moraea flaccida? And the purple flowers are again that vetch-like pea.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:40 am 

Here is my comments on your last batch:

arks wrote:
1. This first one is, I think, ornithogalum flaccidum, alternative latin name appears to be albuca flaccidum, common name rainflower?

It is an Albuca. A very difficult group and rarely possible to get the species right, but A. flaccida is a good guess. There is an approach to merge Albuca with Ortnithogalum but due to various reasons is not followed by all botanists.

arks wrote:
2. This is, I think, either the snake flower (ornithogalum dubium) or else the yellow ixia (ixia dubia?)

It is an Ixia, but unfortunately I cannot identify the species :?

arks wrote:
3 & 4 I saw on Waylands farm, but not in the wildflower reserve.

3. This one looks very much like a noxious weed we have in New England called vetch. There are several varieties; common or garden vetch is vicia sativa, which belongs to the pea family. The only thing in my fynbos book that looks close to this is also a type of pea, lessertia rigida, and there are no vicia plants in this book, so I'm puzzled.

This is a naturalized alien species. Very unfortunate that many of the Cape wild flower guides ignore naturalized aliens, yet these are amongst the most frequently encountered wild flowers!! Your plant is Vicia benghalensis. We also get V. sativa in the Cape, but it has solitary flowers borne in the axils of the leaves.

arks wrote:
4. This one is, I think, a type of iris (although the common name appears to be Cape tulip? moraea flaccida? And the purple flowers are again that vetch-like pea.

I would say it is Homeria miniata.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Many thanks, as always, JB, for your help with these tricky Cape IDs. I am in awe of your extensive and detailed knowledge. Thanks for helping me to increase mine!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just want to know if this is the King Protea. I went for a walk and saw this close to where I live. Its beautiful.
:big_eyes:

West Coast National Park 22 November 2009

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wow, CD, that's a beaut — and yes, it is the King, lucky you to see such a gorgeous one.

And a belated Welcome Home from your USA stay. Perhaps we'll meet when I'm next in the Cape, BB and Caracal are good at organising Capie meets :whistle:

PS: Enjoy WCNP tomorrow and if you're driving up the R27, slow down as you come over the rise passing the picnic spot, the view up the coast towards Yzerfontein and beyond is heartstopping — at least for me. And I can also recommend that you explore Darling Hills Road, which is the left turnoff to Groote Post wine farm, one of my personal "secret places" :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Wow, CD, that's a beaut — and yes, it is the King, lucky you to see such a gorgeous one.

And a belated Welcome Home from your USA stay. Perhaps we'll meet when I'm next in the Cape, BB and Caracal are good at organising Capie meets :whistle:

PS: Enjoy WCNP tomorrow and if you're driving up the R27, slow down as you come over the rise passing the picnic spot, the view up the coast towards Yzerfontein and beyond is heartstopping — at least for me. And I can also recommend that you explore Darling Hills Road, which is the left turnoff to Groote Post wine farm, one of my personal "secret places" :wink:

Thanks arks, its great to be back and yes I will slow down on R27. Haven't been to any SANParks since we came back, I'm really excited. :dance:

West Coast National Park 22 November 2009

Post subject: Different flowers seen in the Table Mountain National Park
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:03 pm 

Hi,

Could anybody help me identify some of the flowers we saw in Table Mountain National Park on the 9 - 11 December.

Thanks,

Samantha

Post subject: Plants that need to be identified from the Karoo N.P
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:16 pm 

Hi,

I need some help identifying these plants I saw in the Karoo National Park.

Thanks,

Samantha

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:33 am 

Quote:
Hi,

Could anybody help me identify some of the flowers we saw in Table Mountain National Park on the 9 - 11 December.

Thanks,

Samantha

I need HELP somebody, anybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samantha

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next