Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Kruger animals in action!
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:23 pm 

mariusw - if you look at the index im pretty sure there are loads of instructions on how to post pics, i use www.tinypic.com and its pretty handy to use.

maddie88 they are some amazing photos, what a sighting, it must have been pretty hard to leave

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:00 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Mariusw, :D a warm welcome.

I hope that you get the picture posting sorted out. It sounds like quite an amazing experience.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:55 am 

Hi Marius

That sounds pretty amazing!

We were at Kruger over the easter weekend and were around the berg en dal and lower sabie area and didnt see alot except for a lion honeymoon couple going at it all night long...

Just shows again, being at the right place at the right time really helps alot!

Kris

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Timing is everything krousa, ask Herschie!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:57 pm 

Hyena vs Lions

count : Hyena 11 Lions 4 Lionesses no male around.

We were travelling from the S114 turning left on the Biyamiti loop and then left on the S113 going back to the tar road. About 1 km from the tar road we encountered this once in a lifetime experience.

We saw the Hyena's on the right hand side of the road 11 of them. they were making a lot of noise and looking on the opposite side of the road. We looked and found 4 Lionesses with a kill. There were not much left of the kill, but we were the second car on the scene and decided we must hang around. the Hyena's came across the round but kept on looking back as well. Our feeling was that the male was around but we could trough the whole event not see him at all.

After a about 30 minutes the hyena could not hold anymore and started to intimidate the Lionesses. This was amazing how they interacted. 2 groups of 3 each from 2 different directions. Making a lot of noise going forward with their heads very low the came closer and closer. Every now and then one of the females at that stage only 3 visible charge them and they scatter. Belief me with her attitude and growling i will run to. After a long time looking at this at least 20 to 40 minutes the 1 Lioness had enough and walked across the road and then we saw the other lioness. They were lying down under a tree.

Eventuality the hyena saw a gap and charged. 5 of them. the others were "Chicken" and stood at least 50 meters away looking in a Western direction. The 2 lionesses charged and they run away. One hyena decided this is his gap came in charging grab the skin but then we were all surprised with the Lioness on the right hand side of the road under the tree that came charging in and unfortunately got hold of this poor Hyena. My Daughter started crying and we had to keep her from shouting at the lioness. Eventually the Hyena escaped but I am sure with the blood on the back and running on three legs damage was done extensively. The lioness then turned around and walked away over the road and disappeared after a while. the hyena's moved in and took what was left.

See link for the phot's taken then - sorry for the poor quality of the photo's

Maroela - 5 days August

[b][color=#FF0000]NO HOTELS - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND BASTA[/color][/b]

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:00 pm 

Sorry herewith the link

http://picasaweb.google.com/krugernagaap

Up to date after 3 visits a year to the Park. We never had the privledge again to see anythong close to this.

Maroela - 5 days August

[b][color=#FF0000]NO HOTELS - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND BASTA[/color][/b]

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What a wonderful sighting SandGrouse :thumbs_up: It must be very exciting to see a confrontation of Lions and Hyenas!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 pm 

iv been going to the kruger since I was 2. On my last visit in February last year i had ALMOST witnessed my first kill. driving on a sand road to satara alone i spotted a cat like shape in the distance, i reversed to see the most beauifull young leopard, realizing it was heading in the direction of a heard of impala. watching it for a 5min it disapeared........ :big_eyes: i reversed back to the heard of impala thinking that maybe...... juuuussst maybe :pray:

Sat watching the impala for up to 20 min when all of a sudden i spotted the leopard again ... laying low in the ground moving foward every time the impala put there head down......when the leopard was but a mear meter away from the impala some jerk can speeding around the corner hitting breaks :evil: slidding across the dirt road. At the moment the leopard got a fright and popped his head up exposing himself to the impala heard

what a disspointment !!! on the other hand i seeing how the impala re-acted when seeing the leopard,, grunting and snorting, not taking there eyes of her!
what amazed me is how the impala follwed her around. they always say "a leopard you see is safer then one you dont" :shock:

i would post pics but i have no idea how to!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:09 pm 

my almost action photo!