Skip to Content

Do you even have a job?

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
ceruleanwildfire

Unread postby ceruleanwildfire » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:14 pm

I'm a business analyst working for a large IT consulting firm. Basically I research new technologies (latest example BlackBerry) for the company we are consulting too, to see if there is any use or benefit implementing the technology. Once the technology has been identified I coordinate testing of the technology to ensure it does what it says it can do.

I'm also involved with two small companies, on the sideline, that delve into the tourist industry.

Herman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Herman » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:57 pm

I've never visited the "member activities" section before and find it quite interesting that most of us seem to have indoor jobs, so I guess we're all using the Cam and Forum to escape reality !! As a child I was always dreaming of living in the bush and our Kruger holidays were annual highlights !! I turn 50 next year and I'm still dreaming... Unfortunately no cam watching at work - computers are all being used for serious business and besides I have to concentrate on my job as it requires me to work in a very confined space. I also have to deal with a lot of anxiety and fear, which makes watching a cam on a computer screen impossible ! [size=7]I'm a dentist

katydownunder
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby katydownunder » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:11 pm

I am a theatre nurse and certainly need my holidays in South Africa and the NP's as a counterbalance to my job.
So as Herman mentioned another indoor job.
One to two times a week I had to spend 24 to 31 hours on duty in the hospital ( apart from the daily work)so it is a welcomed break to visit the forum and the cam and dream about the next trip ' into the wild'.
The forum and the cam just help me to get over the waiting time to the next trip and to ease the ' pain ' a bit.
But I like my job it is interessting and I can earn enough money for my trips to SA.
The Trip of a lifetime....
Our KTP Adventures November 2010

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:59 pm

I am a clinical psychologist. I watch both animals and people.
Often when I tell people, they stop talking.
I am not psychic.
I love animals and I am working on a developmental project aimed at bringing psycho social services to many more people in need.
I suppose I am a bunny hugger.
I am also a Black Label lover
I also love honey badgers and all sorts of cats,big and small.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

shumba

Unread postby shumba » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:53 am

I'm a Care Risk Manager for a local Hospital belonging to one of the largest International Hospital groups in SA. My job is to balance the risk of patient care and funder payments based on clinical coding and critical clinical pathways.

Although I work on a computer 60% of my day - I am not able to access the internet at work - so all my browsing takes place in the comfort of my home.

The other 40% of my day is spent doing ward rounds accessing clinical information and developing a patient care plan to enhance quality patient care without undue risk to either patient, provider or funder.

wildjohn
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

job

Unread postby wildjohn » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:30 pm

Job is wildlife related - biologist- management consulting, research and guiding - the latter is why I link with forums regularly. Am in Kruger often, though not always experiencing bird song and sunshine as have to often be hemmed indoors to do reports etc.

cool,
w

bushwacker

who am i

Unread postby bushwacker » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:43 pm

I have been a field guide for the past 5 years have attended a school in Hluhluwe KZN. I worked in Hluhluwe Imfolozi park for 4 years and then moved to the Pongola Game Reserve. Have just had my second hip replacement and now that guiding will be out of the question i will be working behind the scenes for the game reserve and for a non profit organisation called space for elephants where w are try to create space for elephants......................

Gunner
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!

Unread postby Gunner » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:06 am

3rd year student studying Bcom Accounting!
But hope to work as a Game Ranger in Kruger one day!

jaapvandijk
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby jaapvandijk » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:35 pm

4th year student studying to become a sports teacher/sports instructor.
I have a part time job in a sportscentre where I am an fitness instructor, spinning instructor, maintenance man, life guard at the swimming pool and cleaner once in a while.

Hope to be a guide one day!
Watching the slow flow of the river. A continues movement of water down towards the ocean. Like blood flowing through a vein, keeping the body alive.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:42 am

I am a home executive which essentially means I turn my hand to almost everthing but one of my main job descriptions is Finance management and recreational planning, which essentially means I am instrumental in arranging all trips to Kruger and other GR's
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Oumie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Oumie » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:14 am

My job as well
SO asks me how much money is in the bank
In January I am going to be "supervisor" because we are going to do some building alterations to our house & garden.
Storms river 11/10/15 - 12/10/15
Addo 13/10/15 - 15/10/15
mountain Zebra 16/10/15 - 18/10/15
Camdeboo 19/10/15 - 20/10/15

Reservation made for April and May and June 8)

j-ms
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby j-ms » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:37 am

lam & I are self-employed software developers who work from home. This gives us more chance than most to get away into the bush. Most of our clients are based in the UK and the States so are used to not seeing us.

Vonnie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Vonnie » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:41 pm

There is an unhealthy number of beancounters here!!!!!

I am a marketer. I head up the direct marketing division of a holding company of a load of retail furniture chains. 8 in total. Quite busy, but hey, when you are in marketing you get away with murder....... like ogling the webcam under the pretence of 'market research'!!

lam
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby lam » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:26 am

I think that there are a lot of IT nerds. I am one.
Kruger - July

Loams
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Loams » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:32 pm

Geek and proud of it!!!!
Operation "Duke" Member

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Return to “Chit-Chat”