Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: s3 sabie road
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

To get to the S3, you turn right just after entering at the Paul Kruger Gate. From Skukuza you take the left turn just before the Paul Kruger Gate. From Pretoriuskop you travel back to the Numbi gate and just before reaching the gate, you turn right on to the S1 and after about 17 kilometers you will reach a crossroad. To the right you will go to Skukuza, to the left you will go to the Phabeni gate and if you keep straight on over the cross road, you will be on the S3 that is about 30 kilometers long exiting near Paul Kruger Gate. Enjoy your stay in the park

Post subject: Re: S3- Sabie River Road near Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:56 am 

Howzat.

Travelled along this road on Saturday last week while doing a small afternoon drive from Phabeni to Paul Kruger gate. Saw evryhting but the kitchen sink including Hippo's; a number of elephant breeding herds totalling about 100 animals in all; vervets and two diffrent leopard sightings. The one, a female, was in a tree close enough to Paul Kruger gate to see the statue in the background and the other, a huge male, was walking next to the road.

Great road in the past too... White Rhino and tons of general game. Must admit it is quite a hit and miss road but I find that the late afternoons are better than early mornings in finding interesting critters :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:41 pm 

I travelled this road each of my 3 visits to Kruger. Last May we saw a pack of wild dog hunting near to gate closing time. We had seen 4 dogs that morning just after gate opening on the stretch from Phabeni to Mestel and had decided to exit at Phabeni that evening. We were stopped by a car who had some dogs immediately in front of hid vehicle, we stopped and 2 more came up behind me and started tochew the other guys tyres.

Suddenly, we could hear some panting and a few shrieks to the side through the open window on my SO's side. 2 dogs appeared and just stood a couple of yards away at eye level looking at SO & Me. I tried to get her to fire off a few frames but boy was she worried. In all there were 9 dogs in sight and atleast 2/3 in the bush which we heard catch some animal, the screams were deafening.

I suddenly realised that time was against us and we had to leave, we've been exceptionally lucky in that weve sen dogs 4 times in 3 visits.

This year in January, we saw elephant, giraffe and buffalo on a short stretch before the road was closed because of the rains.

Like any of the roads, timing is everything.

Post subject: S3 BETWEEN PHABENI AND PAUL KRUGER GATES
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can anyone tell me why there is a short section of tarred road on this section of the S3. It also seemd to be in the most dense and bushy part of the road. It is not very long. Just curious.

Post subject: Re: S3 BETWEEN PHABENI AND PAUL KRUGER GATES
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:46 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Not sure but could think of two reasons.

One being an experimental section or could be that portion of road does not dry out as quickly after rains because of bush, so to keep road open they tarred just the section most affected.????

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:16 pm 

Hi - I traveled the S3 for the first time on my trip in March. We had wonderful sightings with Buffalo, Hippo, many diffrent antelope species, large herd of ellie about 100 and family of four White rhino about 2km from the Phabeni tar road. We also many bird specie and got some nice photos of a Monitor lizard that was lying on one of the low water bridges. Will definately be doing it again when we go next year June.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:27 pm 
Have been on this road Many times, and love the peace and quiet!

Nothing special unfortunately, in fact a low density of game lately!

Love the little bit of tarred road about half-way along! :lol:

Post subject: S3 from Phabeni
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:17 am 

Took this road for the first time three weeks ago - from Phabeni side towards Skukuza - the first few K's of the road are terrible and we nearly turned round - but we persisted and had the most wonderful drive - found three new bird species we had not seen before as well as Buff - Elephant - some I won't mention for obvious reasons.

Took the same road form the other side last Saturday - and found another bird we had not seen

If you have time I can recommend this road - but take it slow and you will be amazed at what you see - despite the corrugation at the Phabeni side.

Post subject: Re: S3 from Phabeni
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kicker Cat wrote:
Took this road for the first time three weeks ago - from Phabeni side towards Skukuza -

If you have time I can recommend this road - but take it slow and you will be amazed at what you see - despite the corrugation at the Phabeni side.

Hi Kicker Cat, i agree with you. Lovely area and good sightings :thumbs_up: Like they say "Haste makes waste" :wink:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Post subject: Re: S3- Sabie River Road.
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:38 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
The S3 river road part is about as dense as a Kruger road gets!
We did not see much on this road, but it is an enchanting road! You always feel there is a leopard watching you from one of those large trees 8)

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:37 am 

Hi Steamtrainfan,

Your question was posted some time ago but I had seen your question and drove that road yesterday.

Here is your answer - the tar starts about 8,7 Km's from the turn off just inside Paul Kruger gate and is about 2 km long ( my speedo read 8,7 when I reached it and 10,9 when it ended)

From the turn off on the Phabeni side it would be about 19Km from the turn off. (that turn off is 4 Km from the Phabeni gate)

I hope that helps you.

KR

KC

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:58 am 

Location: Physical Address: Vereeniging Gauteng, Wannabe Address: Kruger Park
This Road is in my opinion the closest you'll get to Pafuri in the south. We haven't seen anything exceptional on this road except for Wild Dogs back in 2004, BUT each time we drive this road we see Lion and Leopard tracks, so I won't say they aren't there!

I drive this road EVERY holiday, my wife and parents are dissapointed every time I just mention the road, but I still drive it! :clap:

We've been there last December just after heavy Rainfalls and almost got stuck in the mud, so I traded my car in for a 4x4 this year just in case I might catch the rains again! :twisted: :whistle:

Awesome Road!

Skukuza 28 - 2 Jan 2013
Malelane 2 - 4 Jan 2013

When in doubt, stop and look again.