View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Park Ethic
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:29 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Hi Tass! ;)
And welcome to the forums!

There is indeed a code, but it's not unspoken actually. It's a rule.
If you look at the pamphlet you are handed when you enter the park (a copy is in the FAQ, see the link on the left), you are not to disturb any sighting...

But there are people and then there are people...
Same with going past someone when walking.. Etiquette says you cross past their back... Which is what I try to do at sightings that do not interest me, usually lions. (Hope Bert doesn't read this! :lol: )

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The rules on the pamphlet handed out :rtm: clearly states that you should park on the "sighting side of the road" so that vehicles can pass behind you without disturbing your sighting and you do not obstruct the traffic. No stationary vehicles are allowed opposite the "parked' vehicle to enable a free flow of traffic.

This does not excuse the behaviour that was experienced, but following this Kruger rule will save you a lot of frustration.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:32 pm 

For the record people - and I ought to know, as I was the one holding the camera :cam: at Tionet's sighting - being on the side the leopard was, with her half climbing over me to get the better view, sometimes it is impossible to get right onto the side of the road you need to be to see the animal you want to see - cuz then you chase the animal away, especially if it is a skittish animal at best.
So what you do is try to wave the people behind you down, let them know there is something up ahead that is a serious sighting, and not "just a cuckoo in a tree" - then move to the side of the road you need to be on and try to get as close as possible to the roadside.
Now when you have a shy leopard 2.5m from you, eyeing you from behind a shallow wall of grass, getting as close as possible is not a good idea, cuz then you'll see nothing anyway- what with him then halfway to Mozambique in his best impression of "head for them thar hills!. You try the best you can, and expect other people to do the same.
:tongue: That goes out to the people who don't try the best they can to make everyones lives better!

Sometimes even the rules :rtm: need to be "interpreted" to allow you to see anything at all.
Not the letter, but the intention is what is most important in any rule or law.
So anyone out there who behaves badly - hope you enjoy meeting this guy :twisted: when you get to where I would like to send you!

until we meet again - Cherokee language

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:36 pm 

Hi Haplo, I know what you mean. My hubby and I are bird lovers and will stop for almost every bird (except mossies, ha-ha), well we especially love the Burchell's Cougal (Rainbird) and everytime we see one we stop, put the engin off and just wait. The way he move, and sometimes you might just get lucky and hear it's call, it's so beautifull. :D
Either way, sometimes when u stop, you get people coming past having a look at what animal we see, because some people are only interested in the BIG 5, so they stop, ask what do we see, and we answer... Burchell's Cougal, they will say what???? :huh: Burchell's Cougal, Vlei Loerie, Rainbird, well guess what, they drive further, shake their heads and off course... chases away the bird. Well bottom line, we love nature at it's best, and that's why we come to the park,whether u see the Big 5, Small 5, Birds etc. :dance:

Post subject: Re: Park and Road Etiquette
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:46 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Dabchick wrote:
but I once actually read the rules of the park in the map book, and if I remember correctly, it states that one Should park on the side of the road on which the sighting is, leaving enough space on the other side for other cars to pass. The rest of the time one should keep left and pass right. And one may never block the road completely (but this only happens at cats sightings right? :wink: )

Quite correct! I just wish more people (and yes that includes many forumites too) would actually read the rules on the gate leaflet. So much confusion and many misconceptions would be solved! :rtm:

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:50 am 

All rules, logic and consideration go out the window at Cat sightings. :wall:

You will find people blocking the road at all angles, people hanging out windows, people out of sunroofs, people even outside their cars completely. No-one wants to move or let others pass or get even a small glimpse of the wildlife.

Unfortunately there is little anyone can do about these things as it is just too common and too widespread to control by the authorities. If the incident is spotted by the authorities they are usually outnumbered at the scene and will get abuse and ignored. If the incident is reported after the event it is too late to do anything about other than to impose some punishment to the lawbreakers (proof is needed and hard to come by).

2009 and 2010 trips are a distant memory but will remain special.

TMNP - Got Married and had the Honeymoon blinkers on!! Too busy for TMNP!!.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I do prefer to just sit on my side of the road, a bit away cause being a large vehicle I do not want to block the sighting for others. And I can usually see past/over them. I sometimes think thats the better choice for big vehicles. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:56 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

....Until the next big vehicle (who isn't as kind) comes along and parks between you and the sighting... We tried this too, for a while, until we realised that the next big vehicle will have no shame in parking in your exact view of whatever it is that you're looking at! :evil:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:36 pm 

Why do people insist on having their engines runing non stop at sightings, I understand why you might want to when near elephants. There is nothing worse than the sound of an overheating engines fan runing while watching a rhino feeding just next to the road!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:32 pm 

Time to have a little Rant if I may!
We have been in Kruger for the last week and have till today had a wonderful trip.
As today was our last day and we are leaving the Park tomorrow we decided to do an all day ride today. We have been based at Pretoriuskop for this trip.
We left camp this morning at 06h00 and proceeded to Skukuza and from there to Lower Sabie along the main road that runs along the river.

All went well until 2km from Lower Sabie.
Lions had tree'd a leopard and the road was completely blocked.
A motorbike could not have gotten through the congestion!
Right in the middle of the road was a white Bakkie complete with caravan!
We were behind a Landrover on the left of the road and he was blocked in from the front as well.
Then to crown it all two "Vula Safari" game viewers had to get in on the action as well!

It always astounds me how the private game view vehicles manage to push right into any melee that they come across.

We were stuck in this mess for almost a hour before I had had enough and called Lower Sabie to ask them to send a ranger to resolve the situation.

Someone arrived and with much blowing of hooters and argy bargy cleared the morass of vehicles.

Needless to say with all the noise that went on during the unknotting the lions and everything else in the vicinity disappeared.
We never did get to see them!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:44 pm 

Hi we have been to the park about 8 times. Go as slow as you like. Stop on any side of the road to view. Just be careful. Enjoy

Punda Maria 13-14
Shingwedzi 15-16
Mopani 17
Olifants 18-20
Skukusa. 21-23
Lower Sabie 24-26. My Birthday on 24

Happy viewing

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:24 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I am so very cross!! :twisted: :twisted:

Today we were in the park, and we saw a family group of waterbuck just off the road on the other side to us.

Because there were several cars approaching, we stayed on our side, and I got ready to take some photos.

Imagine my feelings when one of the cars, who looked straight at me (the occupants not the car) and could see I was about to take a photo, pulled up right opposite us, compleletely blocking our view.

They took so long faffing around taking their photos, that by the time they moved on, the waterbuck had bolted!!

They were such a lovely family group, and it would have made such a nice photo. :twisted: :twisted:

How rude was that??? :rtm: :rtm:

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:47 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
tent dweller wrote:
Elsa wrote:
I agree, very bad manners, but with some its all about ME! :roll:

Elsa that about sums the whole situation up when it comes to some park visitors

Sadly that is so true!!!