Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kobie Kruger's Books
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:28 am 

i have just finished reading the wilderness family and i thought it was amazing, i was in floods of tears reading it towards the end when she was saying good bye to leo. :cry:
i was desperate to find out if she wrote follow up books so i searched on the internet, at first i could only find her daughters web page and then i found an old interveiw(2001) with kobie kruger which revealed leo had died in 2000 from a attack from two other lions at his new reserve in zimbabwe, im devestated!! plus kobie kruger has been living on the eastern cape for a long time now, why did the family leave kruger? is she never to write about her adventures in kruger again? does anyone have any answers? im heartbroken :cry: :cry:

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:55 pm 

Wow! I was amazed to read this thread!

My dad helped Kobie to translate Boskonsert to Mahlangeni in 1992... I was 8 years old, and it was a remarkable experience to stay with a game ranger's family... We saw Leo a lot, too, getting frequently "mauled" as he grew up. Kobie's books are incredibly special to me - its great to see that others love them, too. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

BM I think it is the 2 books Mahlangeni and All things wild and wonderful combined into one book.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:27 am 

DD thinks correct. I have both books and the Wilderness Family one. The latter being a combination of both earlier books.

Quote:
DD thinks correct.

Eish :doh: I said that???

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 am 

Hi everyone

I am almost finished reading All things wild and wonderful and I went onto this forum to see if I could find out what happens to Leo. I was shocked to read that he was reportedly killed by two other lions, it's hard for me to deal with that as I have become emotionally involved in the story of Leo :cry:
I expected that the turmoil in Zim had perhaps led to his death, but I seem to be wrong. I also read that Kobie Kruger went through some personal tragedy and that is why they left KNP. After reading Wild and Wonderful I feel a bond with Kobie as I believe we all do, as she has a way of writing that makes it seem that you are experiencing the bush and her life with her. I was in KNP last year January and didn't get the opportunity to go this year, so vicariously through Kobie I had my KNP holiday that I longed for so desperately.
I would like to say thank you Kobie! You touched my heart with your stories and whatever tragedy and sadness you have experienced in your life, my deepest and sincerest condolences. Maybe one day everyone who loves your books can spiritually meet up on top of Matupa and have a moment of silence for all the beauty that is Kruger National Park!

Kingfishergirl's heart will always long for northern KNP and would have liked to meet Leo (a beautiful soul) in person.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:36 pm 

These are 2 fantastic books about the Kruger. A must read for everyone!

I recently visited Shimuwini in early January and while approaching camp saw a vehicle on the far side of the Letaba with the occupant standing on the river bank studying the river which was flowing rather high.

It brought back the stories from Mahlangeni...

As we had a morning walk booked we tried to convince management at camp let us walk near Mahlangeni but they used the excuse of the rier flowing too high. Probably wouldn't have taken us there anyway though...

DGK

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Die Groot Krokodil wrote:
I recently visited Shimuwini in early January and while approaching camp saw a vehicle on the far side of the Letaba with the occupant standing on the river bank studying the river which was flowing rather high.
DGK

There is a new limited access to high ground clearance road that I drove on which brings you to the approximate area .
The view onto the northern bank ...

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:01 pm 

I read The Wilderness Family about two years ago after I found it in a second-hand shop in the wildlife/animals section. I. Love. This. Book. I've read it maybe six or seven times, and have read it to my youngest brother repeatedly. Her writing is great and really carries you into the narrative; it's hands-down my favorite book of all time. It's also the book that really got me interested in KNP and South Africa in general.

Love the book, now I'm absolutely obsessed with the setting. ;)

Wonder if that game ranger station/staff area is still there? It would be awesome to see pictures of that!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:39 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

It is still there , the section ranger is Karien Keet , one of 3 female section rangers in KNP .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Was'nt the ranger you mentioned above just employed as a section ranger in KNP??

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:55 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Batmad wrote:
Was'nt the ranger you mentioned above just employed as a section ranger in KNP??

There was a new thread a few days ago stating so , but Karien Keet was allready listed on the Sanparks website as a section ranger more than a year ago when I printed the list , but I can't find it on the website now .

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:28 am 

I think Karien has been there for a while now as ndloti says.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:44 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Karien has been working for SANParks for quite a while, and has in fact been section ranger in that region for a number of years already. Not exactly sure how many though.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:10 pm 

Can anyone help. I remember reading Kobie's Mahlangeni and the other books she wrote, and in one of them she wrote a bit about a baboon troop she followed. She had to get special permission from KNP to stay with the troop and this meant she was living in a caravan and also had to go off road to follow them. Thing is, I heard once she made a film about the baboon troop she followed. My question is, does anyone know what it is called and where can I get hold of it? There was one incident in the book she wrote about which I will never forget. She writes how she was watching the leader of the troop one afternoon just before it got dark, settling himself on a branch in a Jakalberry tree. He was obviously very tired (maybe had an early start and was really tired) when, next to him came and sat a guinea fowl who annoyed him tremendously. Every time he closed his eyes, this bird would give that all familiar 'cackle/squeek' sound and this big baboon would open one eye and just give it a dirty look as if to say 'one more time....and....' and then closed his eyes again, only to be disturbed again with this bird's cackle/squeek' (sorry, I dont know the spelling here), when all of a sudden, this baboon just gave this bird a lefty or rightie with his arm/hand and this bird went flying off the branch almost landing (or did it land) in the water below - a croc waiting....? I can't remember exactly, but I could just see this in my mind's eye and have to chuckle every time I see a big ol baboon settling himself in a tree for the night. Those guinea fowls noises can be irritating I guess. Anyway, I've read her books 3 times and every time was special. I've also had the privelage of talking to Kobie on the phone once or twice relating to my work at the time (cameras set up at waterholes in South Africa and elsewhere in the world). She is an amazing woman and have such a sweet and soft voice. I've lost touch with her though.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:18 pm 

Someone asked why did they leave (Kobie and family). Someone answered and yes, it is true and was due to personal issue. I know what it was, but don't know if I'm allowed to write it here. I think those of you who read the book Mahlangeni, will be devestated when you find out why they left. Very sad indeed. And yes, they moved to the coast where her husband Kobus was or maybe still is involved with a project relating to nature or a reserve close to where they live. Still involved with animals but don't know exactly which.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next