Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:30 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Welcome Moppie - this site is addictive.

Yes there is water, electricity, fridge, air con and a basin in the huts. The ablution block with toilets, baths and showers is not far from the huts. There are also wash up facilities close by with boiling water 24hrs a day and hot plates to cook food on if you do not braai. Linen and towels are also provided. There are electric plugs to charge up batteries for camera's but you will need to take double adaptors. No cooking/eating utensils in the huts.

I have often stayed in them and as far as I know they have recently been given a facelift - maybe another forum member can confirm that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:20 pm 

Hi Barfly
I stayed in the tents 2 years ago when they werebrand new. What a fantastic experience especialy the shower. As an architect myself i loved the feel and tranquility of these tents. Good design and respect for nature has gone into these structures.
Did have a problem with rats/mice during that stay.....dont leave anything edible outside overnight. Hope this has changed by now.
For isolation and privacy, the tent located in the far North/West corner is the best of them all.
I normally camp in LS as i did last year, so the luxury tent was a pleasant change.
YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED. gREAT NIGHT DRIVE AT THIS CAMP TOO.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:36 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The riverview bungalows must be BD3, since those appear to be the only bungalows with untensils, and they do have 3 beds, 2 singles in the bedroom and a "daybed" in the kitchen. I stayed in #4 last year, one of the first rennovations, and they are very nice indeed. I think the perimeter bungalows are those along the camp's south fence.

As for being "stuck out by the dumpsters" :roll: , you'll be sure of hyena sightings there :wink: Have a great trip!!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:22 pm 

Hi Marina and welcome,

Maybe this mapwill be of some assisstance to you.
I haven't stayed there in many a year so not too familiar with where the best tents are located.

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Safari Tents
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Leopardlover1

Yes, you will know that you are IN the bush at the safari tents, but an experience :dance: you will never forget. The hippos get active when the sun sets, communicating through the night, having very noisy parties. It seems as if the baboons do not have very nice bedrooms in the trees, lots of arguments, babies crying which upset the waterbirds from time to time. Then there are the lions, the hyenas, and ...... . I do not want to sleep when I am there :wall: You will love the tents if you love the bush :thumbs_up: Sorry, must go and pack :dance: :dance:

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp Family Cottage FU4V
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:40 pm 

UPDATE:

Just called SanParks to make a payment and the extremely competent agent Michelle/Pretoria office informed me the FU4V is a river view.

Post subject: Re: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:34 am 

The BD2U units are great, don't change your booking. They are semi-detached so you are linked to your neighbour but so well built you will not hear a thing. Outside there's a wall which separates the stoep/braai area.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Marge

All the BD3U's are good - but if I must choose between the mentioned, I shall say 21 or 23.

You will love the accom - from your bed you will be able to look on the river if you open the curtains :thumbs_up:

Enjoy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Leana

KTC: Dec/Jan
Kruger: May 2013 (LS :dance: :dance: )

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

chas wrote:

Hi Lizef

Any further news on this subject?

Thanks
Charles

Hi Charles
We are unfortunately still awaiting the revised/updated maps from our colleagues in the Kruger. But it is in process. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Post subject: Re: Renovated BD2U units at Lower Sabie
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WildThing - I have seen photos of the renovated BG2's and they really look very modern and nice. Do you know on which two they are still working? I was wondering about this, because I could not get BD3U nr 20 and picked 24 which was still available - BUT which is very near to the BG2's. :doh:

Nr. 14 was also still available - I now wonder whether I have made a wrong choice - the working process can be very loud, I remember from last visit in 2012.

Leana

Post subject: Re: lower sabie
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
My suggestion would be a sunset drive rather than a sunrise one You can do the sunrise one as a self drive . leave as soon as the gates open the sunrise drive leave about half an hour before gates open ..But the sunset drive has something special to it .. Also how will you get three small children up and dressed ready for a drive.( please check also the minimum age of the child as they are not keen for young children to go on these drives
) and have fun planning

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ilovenationalparks - you are spot on - planning :think: is part of the excitement :dance:

If you have once stayed at Lower Sabie, you will always return :D

Although expensive, the BD3U's (and the BD2U'S) are fabulous accommodation - and really a "room with a view". From the bedroom you still have a view on the river if you open the curtains of the room and kitchen.

The family units, FU4V are even better, more private and a bit nearer to the fence and will suit you perfectly - and I am sure they will allow one extra person. But there are only 2 units ( although I am not sure about this ) and very difficult to find.

As Friedrich von Hörsten said, there is so much to do around LS - many roads to travel and the game viewing is always good. The deck (with M & B now) - not to be missed!

But it is your holiday - make your choice - and let us know.
Happy planning.
Leana

Kruger: June = LOWER SABIE :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi, ilovenationalparks, and a very warm welcome. :gflower:

Chirinda and I stayed in one of the 5 bedded huts in March. I would say, without hesitation, the best value for money in the Park.

There has been a lot of building and renovation, but I found that it did not bother me at all. Some of the ablutions are needing a good overhaul and that is on the cards. The one ablution block is much better condition than the other, just look round. For all I know, there might already have been work done on the older ablution block.

I found the beds comfortable and the hut was surprisingly spacious. The cleaning staff were pleasant and efficient. Would I stay again? In a heartbeat.

Most of the complaints lately have been directed at the permanent tents. Unfortunately they were badly damaged in the floods and still need a thorough overhaul. I have no doubt that it is on the Sanparks agenda.

Some of the huts have no views, but I loved to get up early and walk along the river. The new ''Mug and Bean'' has also had consistently good reviews.

If you can get four days accommodation in the huts, I would stay only at Lower Sabie. There is enough to cover and keep you happy. Packing up, particularly with a family, can be such a hassle.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:29 pm 

Welcome to this wonderfull forum.

Negatives for Lower Sabie well I wouldn't pay attention having been going to the park for over 20 years. Stayed in many camps and have to say without hesitation Lower Sabie the best, altho was surprised last year when we stayed in Skukuza, actually loved it. Please book ur accommodation for 2015 as soon as you can. I have just tonight booked for May 2015 and unfortunately all the BD3Us are already fully booked so had to book a BD2U for 9 nights. Much the same at Skukuza the accoms I wanted were gone.

Good luck with ur booking , finding what u want and you will have fabulous time..Maybe we will meet up.... :D :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:42 pm 

As Elsa suggests Mlondozi - we have just got back from a trip and went up there 3 times. The view is spectacular. There was a herd of buffalo around estimated to be 600 strong. We usually see cheetah - this time was no exception also spotted a huge male lion across the river (with binos) I am sure you will love this site.