SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Ex-Ex-Identification Help - Raptors
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@mgoddard:
The second bird in your second post is a Steppe Buzzard. The unfeathered tarsus immediately rules out and Aquila eagle.

Post subject: Identification Help - Raptors
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@stefans:
Your first bird is a classical Steppe Buzzard. That horizontal demarcation on the breast should be your first and strongest hint. The yellow cere and dark eye in itself is already enough to rule out Honey-Buzzard but the overall shape is just wrong as well. Honey-Buzzard has a very slender head, reminding of a pigeon's head almost.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@mgoddard:
Your first bird is an interesting one. It certainly has the makings of a Forest Buzzard but these birds are frighteningly difficult to seperate from Steppe Buzzard. The reason I'm saying it has the makings of Forest Buzzard is because it does appear light enough and I can't make out any horizontal barring on the underparts towards the legs. Also the habitat seems good.

However, one absolute clincher would be the length of the wing and in your pic of the bird perched it does seem as if the wing extend well past the base of the tail. Forest Buzzards have very short wings that, in rest, typically extend only to the base of the tail or sometimes just a little bit longer but never more than a third of the tail length. You could post a higher resolution crop of the tail of that bird perhaps? In a higher resolution image I think it will be clear.

Post subject: Re: Identification Help - Raptors
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you deefstes..I hope this pic will be more helpful. I have cropped it quite a bit and saved it as 1080dpi.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/320 ... edcb_o.jpg"%20onclick="window.open(this.href);return%20false;

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@Mgoddard:
OK thanks, that picture certainly helps to nail the ID and I'm afraid but your bird is a Steppe Buzzard. You can see that the left wing extends pretty much as far as the tip of the tail. You would never see this on Forest Buzzard.

Just as an aside, and unrelated to birding, you saved the image as 1080dpi but that really isn't what gives it higher resolution. The dpi value of an image has no meaning when you view the image on a computer screen, it is only significant when you print the image on paper.

What is more important is that you saved the image at 811x855 pixels. That is what determine how big it will show up on my screen. Your previous version of the same image was 458x500 pixels which is a little over 1/4 the size of this one but it contained a much wider field of view. That is why this one is providing details.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:20 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks again, that is why I find it so difficult to ID these brown ones. If pic 1 & 2 is Steppe Buzzard and pic 4 is also one its hard to believe as the first one looks a lot lighter than the 4th :shock: :redface:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:08 pm 

Please confirm or correct my ID's. Seen close to Hartebeeshoek:

Black Kite?

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:36 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi sprunkey,

Your first bird is a good old Steppe Buzzard. Black Kite would have shown a whiter head and overall different shape.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)
Agree with the Steppe Buzzard.

FGASA LEVEL 1

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:46 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Saw this Steppe Buzzard in the Hartebeeshoek area yesterday:

The reason I'm posting is that this one was quite interesting with the breast so heavily streaked, telling me it's a Juvenile.

Your thoughts on it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Whens it the correct time to use Juvenile, and immature??! :D

FGASA LEVEL 1

Post subject: Re: A new Look At Addo
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:07 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I am of the opinion that the snake eater was a juvenile PCG!

I am sticking with the original ID of Steppe Buzzard. Warthog sent me the original photo. When I zoom in on the photo I can see dark eyes, yellow legs and a yellow cere ( I think that is the word) which points more to a buzzard than a PCG...just my opinion !!! :hmz:

Cropped version of the bird.

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Rusty Justy wrote:
Whens it the correct time to use Juvenile, and immature??! :D

There was actually some discussion on this topic on SABN not too long ago. I've mostly used the two terms interchangeably but there is actually a difference and I should get in the habit of using it properly.

Here is what Vincent Ward had to say on the topic:
Vincent Ward wrote:
The terms are absolutely not interchangable. Each refers to a specifically definible moulted set of body plumages.

A bird with its first set of "non-downy" body feathers is referred as being in juvenile plumage.

The next change of body plumage after another full moult, but which is not its adult plumage, is the immature plumage.

If the bird has another body plumage moult, but is still not in adult plumage, it is in it's subadult plumage.

Not all bird have all the stages. Short lived species like passerines can go from juvenile to adult. Longer lived species tended to add the extra stages.
The situation gets complicated in very long lived species (like albatrosses and raptors) where there may be multiple stages of any of the above.

The length of time between body moults also vary depending on the life span of the species. In short lived species there can be 6 months between each moult, a year or more for longer lived species.

The best SA example of a species that has all four plumages is the Kelp Gull which reaches adult maturity at 4 years. I did a population study a few years ago and could age all of the birds in my study group with relative accuracy.

I hope this helps.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks A lot deefstes, will also have to get into the habit of using them correctly.......Always figured Juvenile was younger, just never knew how to tell :doh: :D

FGASA LEVEL 1

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Deefstes. I think many of us were using these terms interchanging.

Would the term sub-adult then be refering to plumage between immature and adult? like in raptors?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18  Next