Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Video Cameras
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:11 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Is it feasible to bring a camera along when going to the KNP. Why I'm asking this is, is because it's not like a camera where you can take the photo and watch further.

Aren't you missing the reason for being there by watching animals with your "eyes" and not through a video camera "eye"?

Then also there can be a lot of nice memories being captured.

What is your opinion on it..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Our digital has a video clip function too, which we find quite useful. As my husband has a steadier hand than I he usually uses the video function, I take the pics. We got some nice stuff that way - wild dog with puppies fooling around, elephant clip and chameleon crossing the road etc. I suppose it's personal choice.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Guinea Pig wrote:
Our digital has a video clip function too, which we find quite useful. As my husband has a steadier hand than I he usually uses the video function, I take the pics. We got some nice stuff that way - wild dog with puppies fooling around, elephant clip and chameleon crossing the road etc. I suppose it's personal choice.

I'd say its essential. Its nice to be able to record the memories on tape. You must have one that has an lcd screen so you dont have to look through the peep hole!
We work it like this: I have digital camera, Twigs has video camera!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:46 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

When we (Madach and me) were in Kruger we went on a nightdrive. Madach wanted to take pics of the drive itself (the bus and how it works etc.) so he had a large angle lens on his cam, and he had a videocam. I had the 100-400 with me.

Perfect combination, I got the pictures of a leopardkill, he has the video of it.

Awesome......

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

DuQues wrote:
When we (Madach and me) were in Kruger we went on a nightdrive. Madach wanted to take pics of the drive itself (the bus and how it works etc.) so he had a large angle lens on his cam, and he had a videocam. I had the 100-400 with me.

Perfect combination, I got the pictures of a leopardkill, he has the video of it.

Awesome......

Hmm, this was one of those rare moments where I went out on a game drive without the proper gear. I didn't expect anything special to happen on that nightdrive as nightdrives at Olifants tend to be a bit boring. Not this time though :oops:

I did get a nice video of the leopard making the kill though which makes up for not getting the pictures of it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I don't think looking through the viewfinder of a camera or video camera detracts from what you're seeing - in some ways it adds to it as you are concentrating more heavily. It is important to take time to look up and around however, or you could miss other things going on outside the area you can see :).

Post subject: Re: Video Cameras
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:33 pm 

Wild@Heart wrote:
Is it feasible to bring a camera along when going to the KNP. Why I'm asking this is, is because it's not like a camera where you can take the photo and watch further.

Aren't you missing the reason for being there by watching animals with your "eyes" and not through a video camera "eye"?

Then also there can be a lot of nice memories being captured.

What is your opinion on it..

My husband & I always take two video cameras with us as well as our still cameras and are never sorry. We have hours and hours of video of the KNP - which we watch over and over again. When you look at your videos again one picks up other things going on in the scene that you might miss while the action is happening. Capturing the sounds as well is great. I think you end up with a far better record with video. Take both!

Post subject: Video
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Any wildlife video enthusiasts on this forum - or do you all prefer still photography? If so, what equipment do you use?

Post subject: Re: Video
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hawk wrote:
Any wildlife video enthusiasts on this forum - or do you all prefer still photography? If so, what equipment do you use?

Hi Hawk. I enjoy videoing but have got into still photography lately. Unfortunately to get a video camera that is half way decent costs close to R30000. At the moment I am using a sony mini-dv cam HCR40 IIRC. Picture quality is decent and it has a couple of inbuilt editing effects but at the end of the day it is a recreational camera.

Are you an avid filming buff? What are you using?

regards
bwana

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi bwana,
I am a keen hobbyist and I really enjoy recording my visits to the KNP. I use a Canon GL2/XM2 camera and edit with Liquid Editon Pro.

Last edited by Hawk on Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My dads first set of cams.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:26 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hawk wrote:

I do not answer this one as Kruger but as myself. I am using a Canon XL1 3ccd digital video cam and Matrox RT2500 editing (with Adobe Premiere 6) on a P4.

As the case is with most people with a hobby: I wish I had more time to spend on this hobby...

Regards
Danie

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kruger wrote:
I do not answer this one as Kruger but as myself. I am using a Canon XL1 3ccd digital video cam and Matrox RT2500 editing (with Adobe Premiere 6) on a P4.

Wow, that's a serious video cam. Taking into account the location where you live I guess you've shot some amazing video with it. I also use Adobe Premiere 6 to edit my video and it's always find it to be a pretty frustrating job. I often have problems capturing my video from the camera and it Premiere tends to crash a lot when editing large files. In the end I always manage to get a decent result though :D

Last edited by madach on Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:19 am 
Guru
Guru

madach wrote:
[quote="Kruger]I do not answer this one as Kruger but as myself. I am using a Canon XL1 3ccd digital video cam and Matrox RT2500 editing (with Adobe Premiere 6) on a P4.

Wow, that's a serious video cam. Taking into account the location where you live I guess you've shot some amazing video with it. I also use Adobe Premiere 6 to edit my video and it's always find it to be a pretty frustrating job. I often have problems capturing my video from the camera and it Premiere tends to crash a lot when editing large files. In the end I always manage to get a decent result though :D[/quote]

I enjoy the XL1 a lot and the quality is really good. I use it for events as well. I had a few problems with Prem 6 in combination with RT2500 in the beginning but all is very stable and I do not have any problems (running on Win2K SP4 on Pentium 4 with 512Mb Ram and around 500Gb HD space)

Regards
Danie

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:24 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Kruger wrote:
I do not answer this one as Kruger but as myself.

Why not create an account for the person Danie?
You can remain anonimous (for a while at least), and you can say things without problems related to wearing two hats at the same time.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next