Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Wedding in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:59 pm 

Hi All
Just looking for some advice.
Wondering if any of you has attended a wedding at Skukuza? :?
We were thinking of a short ceremony late afternoon - any chapel available to the public at the staff village? Then a possible sunset drive and back to the camp restaurant or conference facilities @ staff village for supper. We would have to book a couple of tents & bungalows & would need 2x 20 seater night drive trucks for the drive.
Also thinking about off-peak times - is there EVER such a time @ KNP :?:

Apparently the relevant lady to speak to will only be available on Friday... & you know how us woman are :shock:

The best part will off course be the reccie-trip :wink:

Tamboti 7-9 July
Lower Sabie 10-13 July 2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:36 pm 

Hi Liesel,

Have you had a look here - Saying I do in the bush.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:37 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Liesel

Sorry for getting in late on this topic, maybe you know what you need to know by now.

There is a church in Skukuza and a DRC (NG Kerk) pastor that actually stay in Skukuza. I know him, he is a very nice guy. If you would like his info you can pm me. :wink:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Liesel

I'm gradually getting back into circulation after an extended absence, but if you want to pm me to ask any questions, please do.
I'm not the best person to ask about weddings at Skukuza, but it is possible to get married anywhere you like in the KNP as long as you can find an officiant prepared to marry you.
We found ours on the internet and he was a lovely guy and quite happy to travel up to KNP.
He did specify that we legally had to get married under a roof - hence the marquee we hired which was erected near the pool at Pretoriuskop.
Most of the arrangements were made on our behalf by Bev Muller of Natures Group.
Natures Group used to run the catering concessions in the KNP so it was easy, but I'm not sure who would be able to make those arrangements now.
Ezrom was an absolute superstar - I'm so glad to hear that his talents have been recognised and he has been promoted.

Getting married in the park is a very special experience.
It was not an expensive wedding (certainly very cheap by European standards) but looked and felt very lavish and was absolutely the most perfect wedding we could have dreamed for.
Our 2nd wedding anniversary is on 18/10 and we will be waking up in Pretoriuskop on that day with our new son. I can't wait!

Good luck with the planning and if there is anything I can help you with, please just ask.

Post subject: Wedding in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:49 am 

Hi All
After having been quiet for so long I again need advice from anyone that can help :redface:
My SO & I visited KNP this weekend to look around & plan some finer detail regarding our upcoming wedding in Skukuza this December....
The little church has a wonderful atmosphere, the viewing point for the sundowners is breathtaking.
I'm also getting very good advice & help from someone that stays in Skukuza.
Except for the flowers, he will be doing almost all the coordinating, & liaising with Sanparks on my behalf.
The plan is still as follows: Church ceremony @ 4.00 pm in the staff village church.
After that the 2x 20-seater game drive vehicles will be taking the guests to the bush venue/koppie for sundowners, then back to the camp for supper.
Now this is where the problem comes in :shock:
I originally booked the boma, but a boma is just a boma, and although it will have the bush theme it looks a little run down, with weeds all over and then again it might rain.... :!:
The main restaurant is willing to block off a section for the reception, but then we might just as well have it in any restaurant in Johannesburg then.... :!:
The Selati train restaurant will have a totally different theme - we will be seated on the far side of the platform, also sectioned off from the rest of the restaurant.
At least we wont get wet if it rains.... I'm unfortunately very fussy, & IMO the ladies didn't look as neat as I would have liked :!:
I also understand that the contract for the current group expires at the end of the year.
What if it isn't renewed & 2 weeks before they leave, they don't care about the level of service & quality anymore.
Maybe you can just call it a case of bad nerves :?:
Because the Selati was not part of the original plan, we did not get to go for supper there on Saturday night, so we have no idea about the food, service, lighting, insects, etc.
I did find some info on the "Skukuza restaurant upgrade thread", but I would love to hear from anyone with advice regarding the above arrangements or a recent experience at the Selati.
Many many thanx
LM

Tamboti 7-9 July
Lower Sabie 10-13 July 2014

Post subject: Re: Getting Married in the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:36 pm 

Many people have married in Kruger, I can't think of anywhere better :D
Mopani camp was closed for a wedding a few weeks ago, I think they specialize, perhaps email Garth Holt. garthh@sanparks.org

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:26 pm 

Marriages are allowed to be performed in:

1. A Church or place of religious worship. (BTW there is a beautiful church in Skukuza.)
2. A magistrates office or similar. (Magistrate = judge for our foreign friends)
3. A domestic home.
(The "under a roof" is pure urban myth and has no place in SA law!)

If the people who are involved in the marriage are foreigners, the wedding officer needs special permission to perform the marriage.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:03 pm 

Just need to add something ... somebody is sure to ask.

Garden weddings: In a garden wedding, the legal part needs to be done in one of those places I mentioned, while the religious ceremony can be done in a garden.

And what better place than the "wild garden!" :wink: :lol:

Post subject: Getting Married in the Kruger split Imberbe!
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:30 am 

kayvz wrote:
Thanks for all the advice on a wedding in the Kruger. Which is the most romantic camp? I love the tents at Lower Sabie, esp the ones on the river. Maybe there is a smaller camp that would fit the bill.

The singe most romantic "camp" for honeymoon is one night at Shipandani hide. Jut you two and not a person within kilometers! Imagine ... :wink:

Tents are romantic, but not that private.

I love the smaller camps such as Crocodile Bridge, and Punda Maria must be very high on the list for "romantic!" I think the "Bushveld Camps" such as Biyamiti is a good bet!

Post subject: Re: Wedding in Kruger?
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:25 pm 

Me and SO are tying the knot in Febraury just outside Biyamiti.

Mpumalanga Promotions (jackey) is doing a fantastic job organising it all for us, as we are in the UK. We have booked the whole camp and will drive everyone out of camp to a quiet spot for a 4pm wedding.

Families coming from all over SA, UK, Spain and Oz. Most of us are staying for a full two weeks in the park too so will be the best time.

6 weeks until we fly.

Yippee!

Post subject: One year later - Punda Maria
Unread postPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:22 pm 

This weekend my hubby and I wll be celebrating our FIRST wedding anniversary :clap: , can't think time has gone by sooo quick!

Just a quick recap on that special day.

9th May drove up to Punda Maria camp early morning followed by all the wedding guests (50) etc, met up with camp manager Christo Knox, what a lovely guy!!!!
Christo really bent over backwards to make the weekend special for us. :thumbs_up:
Had a lovely braai the Friday evening, early to bed as it was a very early start for the bride......... hair, make up, dress etc, got all the guest out of the camp by 5.15am, yes am!, went to a spot called Witsand that Christo had pointed out to us.
Had a real bush wedding out there, church minister and all :pray:
Exchanged vows etc in the bush while the sun came up behind us, quite chilly but with the excitement forgot about the cold.
Fotos were taken at a spot along the Levuvuhu river....awesome! :cam:

Guests were spoilt with a brunch prepared by the kitchen staff - can recommend a breakfast from the dining room to anyone. :clap:
Spent the rest of the day at leisure, guest took a drive to Crooks Corner and the Yellowfever tree forest. :cam:
Sunday was spent packing up all the pressies etc, sad good byes to friends and family and to the awesome staff a Punda Maria camp. :cry:

We would certainly recommend Punda Maria camp to anyone, beautiful surroundings, quiet camp, good food, friendly staff and then not to mention Christo.

Post subject: I DO!! In Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:14 pm 

My fiancé and I were planning on getting married at a bush lodge venue close to JHB on 15 December 2009 to accomodate all our friends and family.
The deposit has already been paid at the venue but something was missing we just could not get going with the wedding :( :(

So we finally figured it out... KRUGER was missing.
We can't settle for anything else.
So needless to say I started phoning around yesterday and guess what WERE GETTING MARRIED IN KRUGER - Berg en Dal ON 15 DECEMBER 2009 :dance: :dance:

But getting married in Kruger is a bit more difficult that in the big city.
I need help with a wedding photographer/video-photographer
Where can I get me hair done outside Kruger
And my make up?
Flowers?

If anyone can help please can you PM me with the details.

Post subject: Re: I DO!! In Kruger
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:22 pm 

What a wonderful place to get married at.
The staff at Berg & Dal are the best.
We had our honeymoon there and Stephen Nel and his staff made it all happen.
They got flowers at Malelane which is just outside the park.
I'm sure you will get a florist there and even someone that can do your makeup and photos.
I wish you all the best.

Post subject: Re: Where in Kruger can we get married?
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Mopani has a wedding venue. The events organisor, Christa, can assist you at every step. I have seen the venue and I was most impressed. There is a thread on the wedding venue. I hope someone can direct you to it.

Post subject: Re: Where in Kruger can we get married?
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Also know that Malelane camp has been booked out for a wedding before - totally private! But some folk would have to camp......

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!