SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:24 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

sammylou wrote:
Also can anyone use the laundry services at camps or do you have to be staying there?

I don't know if there is a rule about this. I have used the laundromat at lunch time in Satara while staying there but I could have been staying elsewhere...
all you need is some spare time and a couple of old coins of 5 rands ...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:23 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I don't think so, lovehyena. However, the communal kitchens in Kruger do all have boiling water.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:44 pm 

Mgoddard wrote:
Carole, the bench beds in the lounge are well designed for adults...the attendant at the camp comes and actually make the beds :D he removes the cushions which makes it a couch and make it into a bed...I had my daughter and friend sleep on there, age 22 and 26..it was very comfortable.

Well, that is good to hear for future reference. :D

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Alfie & welcome to the forum.

The advice so far is good. I would

1. research this forum to pick up hints
2. spend at least 2 nights in a camp (the unpack and pack up wastes the best part of the viewing day - very early morning and very late afternoon)
3. go to 2 (or 3) different areas of Kruger
4. avoid the major camps

N.B. there are really 2 types of accomodation in Kruger - budget, where you use shared ablutions and kitchen (usually kept spotless) and standard/luxury, where you have your own toilet/shower and kitchen area plus a variety of cooking utensils. The big difference is the price.

Plan:
3 nights at Berg 'n Dal or Croc Bridge. Both have regular big 5 sightings (if that is what you are after) and other highlights. BnD has a restaurant and CB does take aways.
3 nights at Satara. This is a large camp, but it covers a large area, including the best (arguably) lion road in the park (S100). There is a restaurant and cafe.
All 3 camps have shops. Croc Bridge is a much smaller camp and BnD has a dam with a viewing deck.

Look at the threads on each camp to see if you are happy with this advice.

Good luck!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:52 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Mike,
I'm going to be staying in them in January.

I cannot comment specifically on Skukuza tents, but generally I have found the tented accommodation most enjoyable. Letaba is the only camp where I have heard of specific complaints and they were going to be working on the problems.

I also enjoy Skukuza from the perspective that it gives such a wide variety of drives and covers many eco zones.
The shopping area can be rather crowded, but once the gates have closed, it is surprisingly quiet.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:07 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Tent 315 (a two bed tent) is really right next to the fence and you can watch the hyenas from your bed - but don't dispair - all tents are in close proximaty of the fence. My favourite accomdation type in Skukuza. :lol:
I have found that "tented" people are very friendly and share the day's viewing around the evening fire with the neighbours.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:49 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Mike USA. Welcome to the forum.

I stay in safari tents all the time. They are an inexpensive option. Just remember, you get no pots, pans, cutlery, or utensils, just a braai (barbecue) and beds with bedding, a fan, fridge, and cupoards with extra blankets. You will have to use the communal ablutions, not a big deal, and kitchen, which is an excellent spot to pick up 'intelligence', and has stoves, washing up facilities and boiling water on tap.

Skuk is a big camp, and I prefer the tents in (sequence of preference) Tamboti, Croc Bridge, Letaba, Skukuza. All except Let are on the camp fence, and Let's ones are close to it.

Hope this helps, and not foncuses.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:39 pm 

The river-view safari tents in Lower Sabie have a view to die for.

It's my favourite place in KNP to wake up; just sitting on the deck with a coffee, watching the world go by.

Post subject: Re: rest camp guesthouse or Marloth park self catering
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Whilst some of the guesthouses are stunning in their location (Rudy Frankel at Satara and Nshawu at Olifants) they are very pricey and very difficult to book. A good alternative is the family cottages which can be found in all the camps. I particularly like the ones int he circles at Satara and they consist of two bedrooms (main en suite) as well as a well equipped kitchen and decent size lounge and verandah. The family cottage at Biyamiti which although it does not have a lounge and the verandah doubles up for this purpose is quite adequate for a couple of days! Spend a bit of time with the availability section on the home page and if you click on each different listing of accommodation it comes up with a full description! Good luck!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject: Re: rest camp guesthouse or Marloth park self catering
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Talamati is another option with family type accomodation. Neither Biyamiti and Talamati have resturant facilities though. Both camps are charming and offer a more intimate bush feel.

I you really want to look at what I consider the best value for money in the Park, consider Tambotie tented accomodation.

Post subject: Re: Can KNP supply a camp cot?
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:22 pm 

Hi Rooikat. I have phoned Satara RC and was informed that some of the camps do have limited cots available. Unfortunately you can not book them, they work on a first-come-first-served basis :roll: . I suggest you buy either a new cot or second hand. Most of the cots are sold with a tight-fitting mosquito net (a definite must for the little one). Cheapest cot @ Baby City with net = R+-1400. Cheapest cot = R700 plus R50 for net. Second hand will most likely be between 20 - 50% discount. Hope this helped.

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Post subject: Accomodation Utensils/Equipment
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:11 am 

Hello all,
I have been monitoring the forum for several months and the time is finally here, I will be leaving the western US on Feb 27, and I can't wait for my first trip to South Africa! :D
I am staying 4-5 nights in bungalows at BnD, Skukuza, and Satara. What cooking equipment do these accomodations have? Pots, pans, plates, cuttlery, how about a coffee pot (drip or perc), do the outdoor grills use charcoal?
I will be by myself, but enjoy cooking so I need to know what I should pick up before getting to the park. Are there cooking spices in the bungalow or do I need to bring everything with me? I think I did see a reference to "getting cookware at camp check-in"? I will be flying to Nelspruit and going to BnD for the first 4 nights. Is there a Pick n Pay in Malelane or where do you recommend for supplies?
Please, someone give me the details on the self catering opportunities.
Thanks to all, I'll be hosting a yellow ribbon!
SK :lol:

Post subject: Re: Accomodation Utensils/Equipment
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forum.

There will be no foodstuffs in the bungalows at all, so you need to get your own. If you booked accommodation with utensils then you will find basic pots, plates etc, cutlery. There will be a tea-towel and dish-cloth. No coffee pot! The outdoor BBQ (Braai) uses charcoal or wood.

Malelane is a good place to shop - there is PnP at the traffic lights (on the right) as you come into Malelane, or turn left and there is a Spar (a little bigger, and more choice, although may be a little pricier).

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

skanderson wrote:
Thanks for the quick response.
My accomodations are BA3 at BnD for 4 nights, BD3 at Skukuza for 4 nights, and BD2 at Satara for 5 nights.

No problem here, they all have a kitchen, so you will have all the crockery and cutlery needed....and a kettle to boil water.

skanderson wrote:
Do I need to bring bottled water? What are the two alcoholic beverages I've heard mentioned: one starts with a C and the other is A, I think?
The one is definately Amarula, not sure about the other. The water in Kruger is safe to drink, but I always buy a few small bottles for the car.

Can I buy wood at the supermarkets, too? What type of meat do you recommend on the Braai?

The one is definately Amarula, not sure about the other. The water in Kruger is safe to drink, but I always buy a few small bottles for the car.

You can buy wood at all the shops ...now what type of meat to braai....I am sure you know that South Africans are very renowned for their braais....

Here are a few ideas...

Big Fat Rump Steaks
Chicken Flatties
Sosaties (Kebabs) Look in some of the shops in Kruger, they sometimes have Kudu or Wildebeest sosaties
Lamb Chops
"Skildpadjies" a South African delicacy...(you usually get them at PnP) its liver wrapped in fat or something like that
Too many to mention..

skanderson wrote:
No coffee pot, that's a problem, I have to admit a mild addiction to Starbucks.

The instant coffee (Nescafe is good enough)

Thanks, again!

Last edited by Mgoddard on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:08 am 

Hi SK,
If I can give you one piece of advice.,... If you are planning to make a wood fire, buy the wood outside KNP. The wood inside KNP is almost double the price they ask outside at the garages. And the other drink you mentioned starting with a C is probably Castle Lager Beer?..... Have a great trip, I'm soooooooooooooooo jealous!!!!!!!! 3 mnths till our trip to Kgalagadi. :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next