[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: In the garden: Plants for birds/animals in winter
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:49 pm 
We've just purchased our own “bush house"'

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:54 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Have you looked at the nursery near Lake Panic, seems to have a good variety?
How about telling us where your 'bush house' is going to be or are you afraid we may all descend on you :lol:
I have a feeling that at least two people on this forum are going to be your neighbours.

Could it be Marloth Park :?:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:43 am 
Hallo Freda
I've never been to the nursery at Lake Panic. Normally when we get into the Skukuza area, we try to get out of there as fast as possible - and don't have plants on our minds - only LIT :D
But I suppose they will have a bigger variety than Malelane gate - actually, I completely forgot about that nursery. Will have to make plan - my SO wants a fevertree for Christmas. :wink:

Freda wrote:
How about telling us where your 'bush house' is going to be or are you afraid we may all descend on you :lol:
I have a feeling that at least two people on this forum are going to be your neighbours.

O no, I just though it is not appropriate. :redface:
It is in MP. It did cross my mind that there might be forumites who also have property there.
This is not merely going to be a "holiday house", in some respect it is going to be our house - long story. This is why I want to do some "gardening"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:08 am 

Please dont spoil the bush by planting a city garden in the bush! I really get irritated by people landscaping the bush instead of enjoying it! (People in MP seems to get bored and then starts destroying the bush)

That does not mean that you can't plant any plants. But please do ensure that they are indigenous and local. Blend them in to your property. The nursery at Skukuza (Lake Panic) is the best! Wont find better plants or better prices.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:20 am 
Imberbe wrote:
Please dont spoil the bush by planting a city garden in the bush! I really get irritated by people landscaping the bush instead of enjoying it! (People in MP seems to get bored and then starts destroying the bush)

That does not mean that you can't plant any plants. But please do ensure that they are indigenous and local. Blend them in to your property. The nursery at Skukuza (Lake Panic) is the best! Wont find better plants or better prices.

Hi Imberbe

I see you are new to the Forum, welcome! :D
I agree with you 100%. The landscaped gardens and exotic plant really do not fit in and is an eyesore for me too - luckily our new place and its surrounding areas have been left untouched.
My idea is to definitely to use indigenous plant and not to plant them all standing in a nice row.
I however need advice on what plants to use. I suppose the guys at Lake Panic will be able to assist me in this regard.

I don't really want this thread to go about MP in particular. I contemplated that other people might also find it interesting to know what plants provide for animals and birds specifically in winter times. I've always wondered what the fruit eating birds live from in winter.

Kind Regards
Jumbo

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
I agree. Go ask the nursey in Skukuza for advice.

Pkop also has a small nursery.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:09 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Jumbo,
Your best bets for a great winter garden in the Lowveld are a variety of Aloes. Different species bloom from May through to about August and are great for attracting birds, insects and squirrels.
Secondly, plant the Common Coral Tree, Erythrina lysistemon. It blooms from June through to September and is amazing for attracting sunbirds, orioles, weavers, barbets etc etc. A really beautiful tree with scarlet flowers.It grows very easily from cuttings of the stem. let me know if you need, I can supply you with lots from my garden :) The Impala Lily is also winter flowering and really stunning. I am sure everyone who knows the Park will know this plant.
A good tree to plant as well is the Ana Tree, Faidherbia albida. It is unusual in that it gets its leaves in winter and is therefore a great tree to have in your garden as it provides shelter for many animals and birds. However, be warned, it gets to enormous proportions.
The crane flower, Strelitzia reginae is anice shrub that flowers in late winter. It is not really indigenous to the Lowveld, but South African nonetheless.
Also a good suggestion, plant one of the indigenous figs - the best being ficus thonningi, the common wild fig. Again, plant it far away from any structure as the roots are invasive. Great for attracting birds, squirrles, genets etc.
I have one in my garden and on occassions have counted up to 15 different bird species in the tree at the same time!
Hope this helps :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:36 am 
Hi Fevertree

Thanks for the info. This is really going to help me.

Impala Lily I was planning to plant. They are truly beautiful at this stage in Kruger - only colour you see in the bush now. :(

Fevertree, between the Ana Tree and common Wild Fig, which one would you recommend for my purpose? And which one grows the fastest? When does the fig tree bear fruit? Don't the fig tree need to be close to water? I'm talking under correction now, but in Kruger you normally find them on riverbanks, (Sorry for all the questions :? )

We are privileged in that we have two stands and it is adjacent to parkland, so the size of the tree should not be a problem.

Concerning the Coral Tree, it appears that the Brown Headed Parrots also like them. :D This is indeed a beautiful tree.

Kind Regards
Jumbo

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:48 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Jumbo,
My preference would be for the fig tree. It bears fruit which attracts birds and also carries its leaves right till spring when the new leaves push the old ones off.
The Common Wild Fig in my garden does not have direct access to water and grows very well. It is about 12 m high. What I have seen is that different parts of the tree bear fruit at different times of the year - very strange. The south facing side of my tree is bearing fruit at the moment and there are lots of brown headed parrots and green pigeons.
So, the fig tree would be my choice.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:17 am 
Thank you Fevertree

The Wild Fig has always been one of my favourites.
The phenomenon of the fruit is rather interesting! Suppose it has to do with the sun shifting? :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:24 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Puzzles me as well. Thought maybe it has something to do with nutrients and resources. Does not have enough nutrients, water etc in winter to produce fruit over the whole tree, so it produces only fruit on that part of the tree which is the healthiest :?
I know some trees (Leadwood for instance) will actually sacrifice branches when nutrient/resource levels are low. That way the tree as a whole is saved, even though a branch or 2 may be sacrificed for the good of the whole plant.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:29 pm 

I agree with the figtree, the Impala lilly and the Fever Tree. The Strelitzia is more problematic, since it is not indigenous to the area. By planting such a plant you would actually introduce a new species in to a natural(?) environment, creating the possibility for it to spread. :(

There are quite a number of figs that you find in the area which would be quite suited for your goal. Ficus thonningi (apparently now called Ficus burkei) is an excellent idea.

Another would be Ficus sur (Besemtrosvy / Broom-Cluster Fig) and its leaves are more eddible than that of thonningi. Its fruits ripen in June rather than August (thonningi).

Another candidate would be Ficus ingens (Rooiblaarvy / Red-leaved Fig). This is a much smaller tree than the others, reaching about 5m rather than 15m. Its fruit also ripen by the end of May. Its leaves are also quite edible (kudu etc.). Should you be so lucky as to have some big rocks on your property, this is the ideal place to plant them! :)

Aloes are also a great idea! But beware, the kudu love them to bits! I have sacrificed a few beautiful Impala lillies as wel as aloes to some hungry kudu ... they were there first after all! :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:00 am 
Imberbe, thank you so much for the information.
I think with the advice from you and Fevertree I am going to create a real “Winter Eden"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I will take some cuttings for you this week and get them rooted. They really grow easily :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Jumbo

I would be interested to hear after two years how your "winter eden" has come along, if at all :)