Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Fear of elephants
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:54 am 

That is what my fear is... the unknown.

They look so peaceful at one moment and then all hell can break loose.

Anyway there have been very good information given to me in the topic, so I am sure that I will be alot more calm when I come across them.

he-he I told hubby to read this info over and over, so that he knows what to do with the ellies, but he said that if I put on my mouse suite they wount come near us!! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:42 am 

Hi Mathews!

I'm am scared like hell of the big buggers! We've had a few mock charges, but nothing serious, probably because I never allow time to stick around and see if it's going to turn real! hehehehe

Don't go to Shingwedzi if you're so scared of them. We were there in June and it was horrible! The bush is so dense that 80% of the time we were surrounded by them and didn't even know it untill the tree nxt to us started going down and I hit the gass.... I was a nervous reck and beer was all that kept me at bay, hehehehehe!!

Here's a video you should watch, so glad it's not me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6L23l2xDGs

And this one, I would have been out of there in a heartbeat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFjAfGKhT30

Just enjoy your holiday and keep your eyes peeled, I saw a lot more lions when I was keeping watch for the ellies behind the bush, hehehehe!

Have a safe journey! :dance:

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:45 am 

So would have needed a change of pants after this!!! Doubt it's Kruger though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pek-2s7csP8

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:10 am 

Reading the last 2 posts from Australia about "hitting the gazz" and "getting out of there fast " .. in the presence of cheeky ellies

That is the last thing you do. When around ellies...Switch Off and look...they will soon get very bored with you as you are not doing what they want and you are showing them who is in charge as that is exactly what they want you to do and that is play on your "fear". The problem is you wheel spin away in a cloud of dust and noisy engine revs and you leave a wound up and excited elephant waiting for innocent Mr Joe Soap and his family who then have to deal with this unnecessarily excited ellie. The ellies at Shingwedzi are mostly bulls alone or in smallish bachelor groups and as such are just fine. You should rather warn your friend of the breeding herds along the Lower Sabie/Skukuza double highway. You always see broken rear lights and the odd number plate lying in the road where a herd had crossed earlier and a stroppy teenager had turned and faced the stream of cars and shook his head to mock them. Only to have the front parkers reverse like mad into folk behind...thats why I avoid that road like the plague not because of harmless elephants but to avoid the idiots that watch them or are stopped by ellies in their endless search for lions/leopards in that area.

Hope that helps Maddie88 and Mathews..go and enjoy Kruger in the knowledge that an Ellie is as harmless as an excited Koala Bear :D

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:11 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I agree with that . Elephants and many other wild animals are used to the peace of the wilderness and elephants in particular seem to be easily upset by man or machine made noise , radiator cooling fans , or the booming noise of a car exhaust which is probably heard at a louder volume by them than man hears them at .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:42 am 

Peter Betts wrote:
enjoy Kruger in the knowledge that an Ellie is as harmless as an excited Koala Bear :D

he-he have you been upclose to a real koala, they are so funny. It permanently looks as if they have a severe hangover... I am sure it is all those leaves they eat... I look like that after a bottle of OBS or Amarula... never want to wake up man!

Them ellies need to be on the look out the overweight mouse has 36 days left!!!! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:49 pm 

I rather avoid ellies as much as I can, unless they are down below or I know I can get out of there in a flash without disturbing them, just in case.
One one occasion we went to Kruger, we were a combi full of people and after a very quite days drive, we reached a drinking hole and decided to pul over to watch all the animals drink (wildebeest and zebra and impala ect). Switched off the engine, stopped in the shade and made a nice cup of coffee taking in the scene on the left. Gran turned around to her right to find a massive elephant bull standing half a metre away from the combi (we could touch it) with his legs crossed smelling our coffee and staring at us! My heart stopped and dad very casually started the car and drove off very slow, as not to upset the huge animal. I think thats where my fear for them started!

Gorgeous animals they are and I do enjoy them very much, but from a safe distance.... :D

Thanks for all the tips guys and Mathews, ENJOY YOUR TRIP! Only a month to go or so.... :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:07 pm 

:shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:41 pm 

We were driving from Skukuza early one morning going to Tshokwane still very early so nobody were there when I needed to go to the bathroom (funny the entrance always facing the bush.)

Going around the corner Elephant!!!!!!! lucky his back was towards me. I was sort of running/walking to the car so scared that he might hear me.

My husband had a grin on his face I could see when I told him it was a elephant because he knows my fear for elephants.

Okay quess what next day same time same place elephant again. But this time my husband went with me and this time the elephant was facing us.

I must say he was very calm maybee didn't even know we were there. But I was very very sure of him being there.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:20 am 

:shock: I will just pass out !!!!! And I will for sure need a new set of clothes :doh:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8