SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Satara nearby routes
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BunnyHugger wrote:
I have seen lion many times on the 100 and Cheetah on the S41.

I do not enjoy the S89, s90 as I have seen very little of any value on this road on any of the times I've been on it.

BH :D

I again agree, didn't mention the s41..I too find it a very rewarding road. Neither do I like the s89 or s90.... My personal feeling when driving there.....'its too dry' Don't know why, but to me it feels like driving the road to Orpen dam.... very dry :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Okay folks, here's another question.... S100 first thing in the morning? Last thing in the evening? (or do the night/evening drives from Satara tend to swing down the S100?) I'm hoping to have the best chance of seeing every cardboard cut-out possible. :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:00 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi stark

Many people from satara race down the S100 first thing in the morning as the gates open, and many people do the same thing in the late afternoon before the gate closes, we have found that the majority of our best sightings on this road have been around midday to early afternoon,(11-3pm) no matter how much some people may not like this road they cannot deny that the scenery is great and we always stop and look out over one of my favourite views. There is also a certain place where my family must have seen lion at least six times in exactly the same place , next to the shibotwana waterhole. as for the night drives, we have been taken down the S100 before and it was great as we saw two lioness and a male fending off hyena from a buffalo kill. :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Brilliant sighting BB! :thumbs_up:

The S100 also is a favourite with us - lots of lion sightings, and a cheetah too! But ... we try to avoid it in the late afternoon - lots of speeding cars and too much dust to see anything! :roll:

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:29 pm 

wanderw, at the end of a long day of charging to N'wanetsi for brekkie and then going to the Sweni Hide, Gudazane Dam, doing the S89/90, Olifants for lunch etc. I find it very peaceful and relaxing to have a sundowner at Nsemani Dam. (then I go back to camp and collapse on my chair in front of the fire. Not enough sitting during the day. All this sitting is very tiring work. :lol: )

I do so enjoy the open plain savanah around Satara, but then again, each area of KNP has some special kind of Magic. The views from Olifants and N'wanetsi. The mountains of Berg en Dal, you name it and it has some kind of wonderful.

Paradise is such a special place filled with wondrous sightings and that sense of anticipation of what may be around the next bend.

(I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms here. I need a dose of paradise.)

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:22 pm 

Greetings,

I've got some friends out from abroad and I've managed to get a few nights at Satara this coming weekend and would really appreciate some updated info if possible.

Firstly my initial idea is as follows as time is rather limited:

Day 1:
Enter through Croc Bridge (I'll be at the gate by around 7:30am) and then take the S28 to L/Sabie, H10 to Tshokwane and then H1-3 to Satara. It's approx 127km which is well workable and gives us the chance to see some different aspects of the park as well. If time permits in the late afternoon we will tackle the S100.
Day 2:
This is where it gets difficult H6 / S41 / H90 or H1-4 / S127 / S39 / H7.
Either of these drives should take the majority of the morning, hoping to be back at camp for lunch, a swim and a snooze before tackling the S100 again before sunset.
Day 3
Time is an issue so we need to head down the H7 and exit at Orpen.

There are so many options and I'm really torn on which roads to tackle.

So here are my questions;

1. Is the timing workable?
2. If anyone is in the Satara area or has just returned from there, please advise whether any particular roads are more productive at the moment. I know animals have legs and move but certain roads can be more productive for game viewing depending on the thickness of the bush, availability of water etc. and as I don't have time to work all the roads this time I would really appreciate some updated info.
3. What has the rainfall been like over the past month or so? Is the bush thick?
4. Any other usefull suggestions or comments.

Thanks
DGK

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:24 pm 

Hi there. We were in Satara area early Oct. If I were to choose again I would take the H1-4, S90, S41 option. The S127 road surface is quite bad. We saw much more game on these roads than the S39, which is also a favourite of mine. Another suggestion would be to take the H1-4 up to the S91 9(or S89), past Balule, S90 to Gudzani and then either the S90 (which we did and finished at around 11h00, including 2 lion sightings.)or S41, S100 depending on time. You can also think of visiting Olifants, but that might be a bit far. BTW the S100 was teeming with game and predators, that is if you can handle the traffic. A good idea would be to start or finish after (or before) the crowds. . The first part of the H1-4 was burnt, so it should be almost emerald green by now after the rains.
See my trip report "Breeding Kruger Junkies"

As always its still right place, right time though.
Good luck and enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mike1916We have just spent 5 days at Satara (and about 760km in that area). Maybe I can give you some info.S100 has become very busy particularly for the afternoon drive. But early morning 4:30 drive is fine. But we did not see much - even on the night drive that took that route. First mornig we saw two male lions briefly (about 5kms before the Shibotwana water hole). Thereafter we only saw the one male every day in more or less thesame area - but sleeping (even on the night drive -sleeping)  only to lift his head once in a while - wives probably feeding him well. Road was graded while we were there - good.ImageThe S41 between S100 turn off and the S90 turn off realy was worth while. We had two lion sightings (near) and my longed for first Impala new born. Road not too bad ( my SO hates bad roads and was ok with this one).ImageI enjoyed the sightings on the Trichard road (4 rhinos, ellies, and abundant game) and also not too bad - actually quite good particularly the last 10 kms as you get to the H1-3.The H6 as always has plenty of game and we saw some very interesting hyhena activity.....Image
and some some other adorables.The Sweni road was not good - very corrugated most of the way. But great sightings.ImageThe S36 not so good but from the Ngwenyeni Dam very good - just graded.Didnt see much though - but it was a mid morning.Orpen road saw a great cheetah sighting near the t-junction with the S39 which also has been recently graded.S90 is also resonable As is the roads to the Timbavati picnic spot. The S39 is one of my favourites and gave us a wonderfull lion sighting near Palm Springs also the road is fine.Wonderfull cheetah sighting on the H1-3 near Mahena water hole but didnt get to see the great Tshokwane pride - only some left over bones.Saw more cheetahs near Lower Sabie (H10). Actually saw far more than mentioned over the 5 days but cant go into so much detail.But really it was very very hot but not busy at all. Can reccomend the wors and pap at Tshokwane for breakfast. Satara itself - fantastic as always!Good luck and hope you have a great time!

Post subject: Best wateringhole\dam around Satara
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:15 am 

which dam/wateringhole would you say is best to sit for a few hours? :hmz:

Post subject: Re: Best wateringhole\dam around Satara
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Gudzani (if it has water in) as Nsemani can get very busy at times :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:23 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

AREFF wrote:
Zeelie , Girivana seems to be very hot at the moment with leopard and cheetah sightings.

Yep. We missed them, but even then it's a super waterhole to stop at. The sheer beauty...

(Of course the best watering hole is the restaurant at Satara itself, looking over the webcam and waterhole. ;) )

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
I like to sit for an hour or two at Lugmag Dam even though the dam is a bit far in for good photography. There is always general game around and Lions are fairly frequent sightings and on my last trip I saw the resident male Leopard.
I know it is further from Satara than Gudzane or Nsemani but it is quieter car wise. Another dam on the S36 is the Shimangaweni dam which I also like to stay at for an hour or two before driving back late in the afternoon on the Sweni road. I have seen Lion and Leopard at this dam and numerous Buffalo herds wallowing in the dam.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am 

I must agree with adw, we were blessed to witness a leopard killing a male impala Saturday at Shimangwaneni-dam at 11:00. The area around Satara is abundant with general game as always, and Friday morning we saw 5 female and 1 male lion not 100 metres from Satara - we were heading south and the lions crossed the road at the gravel road to the staff accommodation. It was touch-and-go, some zebra ran straight to the lions, but unfortunately the male gave them away.

STOP HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER!!

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right" -Nelson Mandela.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:15 pm 

I find Girivana to be a great spot to park off and relax.Always has something interesting to view.
I was in the park the past weekend.Spent Wednesday night at Satara.Drove the S100 on Thursday morning at gate opening time.Quite dark still.Didn't see much came round the H6, very quiet.Decided to go on the H7 then S40.Lots of general game up to Girivana.Drove about 500m past the dam and saw a car parked off.I asked the gentleman what they are looking at, he replied leopard stalking impala on the right.I looked to the right and saw this cheetah in stalk mode.I told him it's a cheetah.Him and his wife were absolutely sure it was a leopard.Told them I know what is the difference.You could see they were getting a bit edgy and I said ok whateva didnt wna miss out on the action :) I drove little down the road parked halfway between the cheetah and impala and waited.
Within like 5 minutes I saw this cheetah in full speed.I saw the impala started running and dashed across the road obviously spotting the cheetah.I drove quickly down the road to see what had happened and couldnt find the cheetah.The gentleman behind me drove up to me and was very upset with me!I told him now you saw it's a cheetah.He was still 100% sure it was a leopard.Then he got really upset and said I spoilt the kill by driving towards the impala when the leopard took off.I said when I drove off I saw the impala already running and I know what I did was the right thing and I have enough knowledge when it comes to the bush.He got really upset then drove off.I told my wife the way that cheetah ran, like lightning , there is no way that it didnt make the kill.I drove up and down looking but didnt find anything.About 10mins passed and my wife spotted the cheetah on the other side of the road.The cheetah started calling, and I said its calling its cubs.Looked in my rear view mirror and on the road the 3 cutest and tiniest cubs walking on the road towards us :dance: The mother walked towards them and played with them and took them in just off the road to the kill :wall: Can you believe I was looking on the wrong side of the road :wall: Shows how fast it crossed, probably between all the impala and if I only looked that side would have seen the kill :wall: That gentleman deserved it for acting like he knows everything.He said he has been coming to the park for the past 60 years and he knows more than I would probably ever know lol :clap:

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:17 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Always very lucky at Girivana
this year herd of impala coming for a drink
And group of giraffe.
And icing on the cake was 2 playing young bull elephant
This all within 30 minutes
(not another car around)

last year a huge herd of buff making their way past and in the dam, while vultures still dining
on a dead buffalow near the waterhole,

But the road from the tar to the waterhole has never delivered any of the big 5 :huh: