Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: D60,Eos 400D,Sony A200 or Pentax K200D?
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:59 pm 

Hi there guys
Being from the old school it took me years to change to digital. Not having too much faith in digital I bought an affordable cam to convince myself of digital value first.
I bought the Canon S5 IS ........ what a stunning piece of technology !!! :dance: :dance:
I would recommend this piece to anyone........the quality of the pics is outstanding.
Happy clicking !

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

In the latest "WEG" magazine one cab find a nice write up about what type of camera one should get based on your needs.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Equipment question?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:53 pm 

Hello! First post. :)

My family and I willl be visiting SA at the end of December, beginning of January.

The visit includes three days in the KNP where I hope t take a lot of pics.

I will be taking a mid range and a wide angle zoom for general photography but am a bit undecided about telephoto lenses for wild life.

I have a 70-200 f2.8 zoom, 300 f4 prime, 1.4TC and a 1.7TC.

My current camera is a Nikon D300 but I also have a D70 in honourable retirement.

Considering the time of the year, should I go the whole hog and take the D70, 300 f4 and the TC's as well and shoot with two cameras or could I take a minimalist approach and just take the telephoto zoom and a TC and still get close enough?

Can I expect a big dust problem?

Thanks in advance for shareing your experience(s).

Philip

Post subject: Re: Equipment question?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:11 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Hi Philip and welcome to the forums!

Personally I would bring the whole lot. The D70 as backup, with corrugated roads, dust and normal mishaps it is very possible a camera does go down.

I would put the 70-200 on the D70, and the 300 on the D300, that way you do not need to change lenses, which means you can grab the correct lens for the situation in a second. And saves you the chance of dust on your sensor.

The wide angle lens you can put on either camera, in no hurry, landscapes don't run away. the light does change very quickly though if you're looking for golden light landscapes!

December / January you can expect quite a bit of dust yes. So sneak into the bathroom and steal two bathing caps from the wife. They are easy to fit around the camera while the lens can peek through the opening. Works like a charm, yet is quick to remove.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:17 pm 

I agree with DuQues ....
We have a 70-200 f:4 on a 40D and a 300mm f:4 on a 350D with a TC 1x4 .
Last year my son took most of the pics with the 300 mm .
This year he took the pics with the 300mm and the TC always on , and looking at his pics think now the 300mm alone ( without TC on ) would have been enough for mammals ( not for birds ) .
Often 200mm is not enough , so you would have to keep the TC on the zoom most of the time , but if the lions come quickly very close to the car as it was the case several times for us last february you may loose shoots while getting off the TC from the 70-200, so it's better to take the two camera and all the lenses with you :)
My older son loosed some shoots like that while we haved the pics with the 70-200 :dance:
But i see you only stay 3 days in the park , so i would ask me , if i want to take also birds , and surely you will want ( better to have the 300mm with TC in that case )
An other solution could be to take only the 70-200 , let TC on , and have a little compact camera if you are surprise and not enough time to get off the TC from the zoom ?
Hope this help a little :)

Have a good trip you and your family :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:39 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

A little blower for cleaning the lenses.
And keep the lenses covered while driving with closed windows
Open and closing doors does let dust in
After a few days in Kruger even the inside of the car will be covered in a fine layer of dust

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:46 pm 

Welcome to the forum, one thing you should note is you never have enough cards unless you have a backup device.

I took my 2nd camera last trip which my SO used for the first time, some of her shots made me question whether I should allow her again as they were excellent so it's a good idea to have as much kit as you can reasonably carry.(airport restrictions)

have a great trip.

Next visit Jan 15th 2014 13 Days

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:42 am 

Thank you all for your kind and informative replies. :D

I will bring the works!

Any thoughts on the teleconverters??

I can get fl. ~500mm with the 1.7TC on the 300 F4 and ~100-280 with the 1.4TC on the 70-200 F2.8.

Overkill or not?? :hmz:

I don't fancy adding or removing the TC's in the field and I don't have time to experiment.

Philip

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:21 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

No time to experiment! :lol: You still have 2 months!

I would bring them. They don't weigh much, and can make the difference! Especially with birds.
Your glass is fast enough, so the cameras will still use autofocus.

As for the chance of dust, you can limit that by:
- closing windows before starting. Mind that the car will need a running engine for that..
- switch off the camera before taking off the lens. That will kill any static that may attract dust.
- keep the camera pointing down.

You can clean the sensor in the field if you need to. Don't bother with 1 spec, Lightroom will take care of that very neatly. Just take a shot of blue sky from time to time to check, and don't forget that the sensor is upside down.. Spec in the top right corner? Clean the bottom left corner!

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Spec in the top right corner? Clean the bottom left corner!

So thats why i could not get rid of that stubborn spot, that was glued on and would not come off no matter what i tried :redface: :redface: at least i know now :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:28 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

:lol:

Digital does tend to make one forget the basics. ;)

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:44 pm 

Hi

I am a Wild Life Photographer with over 100 trips to Kruger under my belt. If you are staying in a camp like Tsendze/Balule with no electricity take 4-5 plus batteries though the D300 is much better in chewing up power(Saving that is) than my old D200.
Take only 1 body (Save space and weight) the D300 is reliable pro spec and has dust vibration removal. Take the 70-200 f.8 for 90% of your Kruger shots and use a convertor 1.4x and 1.7x if you have both but at 1.5x crop factor you will have plenty fire power for Kruger if you approach animals carefully and properly...just be careful in your approach to ellies in musth there as they are more temperemental these days through overpopulation but even then switch off and you will be OK with your 300 f2.8 (70-200 f2.8 x 1.5x) I used a full frame D700 last month (Even though I took my D200 it never got used once which proves my point that with a good camera like you have a spare is not required.) Always drive with your windows open ...thats how you hear whats going on and thats how I pick up 90% of my sightings to take pics with. On Guiding drives in an open vehicle I have my D700 and 70-200 plus 1.4 x which sits on the seat next to me...very dusty and I havent the time to protect this rig all the time from dust as I am busy negotiating off road tricky situations but like your kit its pro speced and dust proof...enjoy and oh yes take plenty cards...lap tops and the like also chew space for overseas tourists and you need charging facilities which arent there where I go especially. You are lucky as you are going in rainy season too so there will be far less dust than in August as rain settles the dust big time in Kruger...one of the advantages of going in Summer

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bahamut wrote:
Imho the most important purchase you make is the lens. Camera bodies are being upgraded faster than I can keep track of them. Good glass lasts a life time.

You can then always upgrade your body in a year or two as new products come online and the current one's prices fall through the floor. On your budget, I'd even go look for a 2nd hand body in good condition, there are tons of them out there.

Also thinking of going digital (eventualy) .

I have Minolta Dynax AF lenses and accesories and I believe these are compatable with the SONY A200 so that is probably my best choice .

Any comments , advice or where to buy a Sony A200 body without lens will be appreciated .

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:34 pm 

I have been told that Sony took over Konica/Minolta, so the lenses will fit a sony camera. I recently bought a Sony 200, and am thrilled with it. Sony has just opened a dedicated Sony store in the Menlyn Shopping Mall, so you should be able to purchase a camera from there.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:07 pm 

Hi Cliff

Six months ago I decided to change from a film camera to digital. the decision as to which camera was determined by the lenses i already had, which happened to be Pentax.

I then had to determine which Pentax to buy and being new to the digital world I chose the middle of the range namely the K200D. i also use a Pentax 70-300mm zoom lens.

The camera is amazing and the quality is superb and it is only a 10.2 Megapixel camera. My only problem with the 300mm is camera shake but this is not the cameras fault and can probably be eliminated with the use of a tripod.

If you are still thinking about the camera I can tell you it is a great buy.

Kind regards
Roy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next