Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 275 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: My most memorable moment and first times to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We entered the park at Malelane the first time and I totally freaked out at 2 Impalas right next to the car a few metres inside the park. I have 5 pics of the same impala as proof.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We were staying in Sabie in 1987 and plucked up the courage to take a day trip to the park (recent migrants from UK). We entered at Kruger gate and exited at Orpen. Or that was the plan. Someone told us the road from Orpen was sand for the first few Ks. Anyway we went through a gate onto a sand road and headed off. After about half a hour we were stopped by a GVV and the ranger asked us what we were doing driving in Timbavati! Wasn't too please with us. Anyway we about turned and headed back. Just made it out the correct gate (tar road) before closing time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:09 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Paul Krugers Statue at the Kruger Gate ... and a few meters from the Gate ... While we were still outside ... Saw elephants and Hippo's. (Many, many years ago)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:16 am 

As a 5 year old chasing a baboon with a porcupine quill in Pretoriuskop, after it stole my packet of Jelly-Tots through the open window of my grand father's parked car. Needless to say that my mother freaked out and nearly had a heart attack.

My first visit to Kruger was at the age of 2, but the above is the first real memory.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:38 am 

As a young kid one night lying in bed a 'hut' at Skukuza listening to the wildlife sounds coming from the film being shown in the park and feeling very scared!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I was about 7 or 8 when this happened. We were parked at a spot with the windows rolled down watching a troop of vervet monkeys. There was a packet of Marie biscuits where the handbrake is. A monkey jumped on my mothers lap, grabbed the packet of biscuits and fled! I thought that was so funny!

The world belongs to the energetic

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:58 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My first visit was in 1963 (aged 7 ) We were booked at Pretoriuskop, put our bags down and went for a drive and only then saw our first animal, a kudu, which I spotted and got 5c from my dad. We didn't see anything from Numbi gate to the camp on the way in - I'm still sure my parents did see something, but kept quiet as the deal was the first one would get 5c !! On our return however we found our bags outside our hut in the rain, which was falling by now and other guests in the hut ! Those were the days before computers and the bookings got mixed up, so according to them we had to be out on that day!! It took some explaining to sort things out and we eventually got a bigger and better hut !!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:36 pm 

Hi All

We were staying at Balule,and at about 16.30 2 hyaena arrived at the fence drooling uncontrollably.I was about 10 at the time and being all macho walked right up to them too get a closer look and the next thing he decides to get rid of the drool hanging from his mouth .Lets just say I was in the shower for about an hour

Regards
Paul

Post subject: Re: What is your first distinct memory of KNP?
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:22 pm 

Guinea Pig wrote:
We entered the park at Malelane the first time and I totally freaked out at 2 Impalas right next to the car a few metres inside the park. I have 5 pics of the same impala as proof.

That might be the same Impalas we took pictures of.
We were existed about nearly everything like Millipedes etc.
But what I still have in mind is our first night at Crocodile Bridge with the sound of Hippos from the near river and the sight of a Leopard just close to the gate of crocodile and that during our first few hours in Kruger

Post subject: Spotting Lions
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:06 pm 

Dear All,
Must have been 8
Spotted 3 lions in the yellow grass, between Pretoriuskop
and Skukuza. I was the only one of the family and other
cars along the road who spotted them.

My spottiness caused a small traffic jam

I was so very proud and pleased with myself

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We used to leave Johannesburg around 11pm and get to the gate early am. There would always be a line of cars waiting to get in. It was tradition to work from our spot to the front of the line and count the cars ahead of us. On this one occasion we were about car number 30. We still had a couple of hours to wait before the gate would open. My brother decided to take a nap on the hood of the car. All was fine for the first five minutes. The rest of us were chatting in the car when we heard a noise from the bush beside us. In a rather urgent tone my brother asked my dad what it was. A few seconds later the rustle turned into quite a loud animal noise. Next thing I knew my brother was in the car, but I don't remember the door opening he got such a fright he jumped in the window without touching the ground. We turned the flash lights on to see two Hyenas just about 6feet away. We never gave up our tradition of walking to the gate but did so with a lot more caution.

Post subject: My First Trip to Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:52 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
My girlfriend's folks at that stage in 1995 had a place in Sabie Park close to Kruger and I was invited there and ever since never looked back.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:00 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Was invited in 1998 by my then employer OK Bazaars to play cricket at Skukuza against the Rangers. Saw Wild Dog near Skukuza on our way in, saw lots over the weekend and were hooked. Plus chatting to guys like Gus Mills and Ian Whyte also helped!.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:00 am 

I was introduced to the Park in the 60's as a a 4 year old. It was only in the 90's that I have been going twice or three times a year.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Was invited in 1998 by my then employer OK Bazaars to play cricket at Skukuza against the Rangers. Saw Wild Dog near Skukuza on our way in, saw lots over the weekend and were hooked. Plus chatting to guys like Gus Mills and Ian Whyte also helped!.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next