Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Central Kruger sightings : August 2005
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Leaving early friday morning with another couple for Orpen gate. Will meet up with DVZ at Olifants on saturday.
Planning to walk on saturday, with a night/sunset drive later. 4x4 trail on saturday.

Will keep you posted... If I get time and when we have cell reception.

Any remarkable sightings lately in that area? anyone else except DVZ visiting that area this coming weekend?
Code:

Post subject: Bosnimf's tour to Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:47 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Got feedback from Bosnimf's tour to Kruger...

Yesterday they saw LOTS of general game - zebras, wildebeest, giraffe, impala's, baboons, monkeys, kudu, etc etc.
Just before sunset they saw marabu's and vultures feasting on a hippo carcas. At sunset lots of hippos with babies and crocks.
On the H10 they saw 3 reed bucks, a male lion, a large breeding herd of ellies (also with small ones) over the road. Also few klipspringers, at Nkumbe lookout they saw a white rhino and just past it they saw sharpe's grysbok.
:shock: right on the opposite side of the road from Tshokwane a pride of lions caught what seemed to her like a giraffe, on lioness was still eating and the male and other females were just lying around!
At shiloweni some more ellies and hippos.
Then at the sand river (on H1-2) they saw another male lion, and at the low water bridge at Skukuza some buffalo.

Post subject: Central Kruger sightings August 2005
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:12 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Photo of the trip:-
roadkill in front of Satara on the way out - Bateleur not 2 meters away (the only time I did not mind the reckless night drivers).

Finds of the trip:-
African wildcat - Balule/Bangu road - 16h00 in the afternoon.
Sharpe's Grysbok - Roodewal/Timbavati lookout - on the sandbank
Pair of Reedbuck - Satara/Olifants tar road - 2nd marsh area towards Olifants
Heyena with different aged babies - close to Olifants Bridge
LOG kill below Olifants Bridge - watched from the bridge
Largest herd of Zebra I ever saw - someone estimated 600 - Satara/Olifants tar road - one of the waterholes drinking with 3 ellies

General:-

Ignore the Satara S100 at your own risk:-

Pair of LOGS at 17h00 not 2 km off the tar road - crossing the road right in front of us.
Giraffe mating, Rhino (pair), another LOG stalking impala during night drive, Lion, Breeding herd ellies, some of the largest Kudu I ever saw (bachelor herd of eleven)

Birdie specials for us:-
Natal Robin at both Satara/Balule
Double banded sandgrouse - first time for us
Openbilled stork - Nwanetsi
Kori's everywhere
Ostrich - Satara/Olifants tar road
& of course the Bateleur!

will post some piccies once I figure out how - to much work to catch up on now. :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:18 am 

First Sighting on their way ... Yellow-Billed Kite ... He also says the seasons are mixed up ... :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:21 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Second sighting on the way - another YB-kite. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:29 pm 

I TOLD HIM NOT TO PHONE ME!!! :x

He is entering at Orpen Gate now ... said you must all watch ... going to do two laps around the waterhole in his birthday suite :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:18 pm 

Update from Jacov from WTM ....

Already saw the 4 of the Big 5 ... only Leopard eluding him ... Maybe he must try the S100 ... :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Got an SMS from WTM:

Hyena patroling fence at the moment. Today, very warm, 3 Kori Bustards, a lioness, ellies, 1 rhino, ground hornbills. Close up of Scops Owl with lots off pics. Going on hike tomorrow morning. Heard rumours of mamba on cam

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Dont know if this should be posted here but since they are meeting up, DVZ just sms'ed to say they saw Pels Fishing Owl.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Update from WTM:

Saw the big 6 birds today. Hyena walking by him as we spoke, patrolling the fence. Heard 3 Lion prides roaring last night. Missed Leopard by 5 minutes today to complete the big 5 for the visit.

Didn't go into much more detail, but had a wonderful day today with sightings

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:40 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

bwana wrote:
Dont know if this should be posted here but since they are meeting up, DVZ just sms'ed to say they saw Pels Fishing Owl.

Yes that is right, we spotted the rare PFO.

Can't say much more than that. Respect the owl too much.

Regards

DvZ

Last edited by DvZ on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:13 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Howdy folks, back in the city again.

Was a lovely trip. Except for the Landy letting us down again on the road back to Pta. Power Steering pump broke down in Witbank and we were towed a 100km back to PTA. Nothing special as all Landy owners are used to being towed. Arrived home at 22:00.

Entered Orpen gate around 14:00 on Friday. Nice to see the wh from another angle. Was a bit pushed for time so we went quickly between Orpen and Satara stopping there for a late afternoon lunch.

Saw GHB just before Nsemani dam. The dam itself was quiet with only crocs and hippos around. Elephant present too on this road.

At Satara went looking for scops whilst the others were eating. Heard him calling me and found it by accident as I passed a tree at the perfect angle. Any other angle would have kept him hidden.

Drove up towards Balule at about 16:00. Found rhino close to the road as well as 3 Kori bustards just north of Satara. More ele’s and buffalo were seen up to Ngotso dam when we saw our first lioness. Lying at the dam minding her own business. Had to leave to get to Balule before 18:00. Saw more ele’s with very small calf and hyaena. Entered Balule with 10mins to spare and started pitching tents.

We were kept company the whole time by 3 hyaenas. We had rump steak and wors for supper and what was left of the castle stock and a bottle of 1999 Cabernet sauvignon. Hit the sacks at about 22:00.

At 3:00 we were woken by plenty of lion roaring, hyaenas whooping and hippos grunting. Heard a verreaux’s eagle owl while lying awake till 4:45. Took a lovely hot shower and finishing it off with a coffee left camp at about 6:20.

Drove to the low water bridge and just sat there for 30mins looking at birds. Saw fresh lion spoor. Special birds present were: Lesser-striped swallow (new for me), black crake, goliath heron, 3 banded plovers, saddlebilled and green-backed night heron.

Drove the bottom gravel road towards the H1-4 and saw red-crested korhaan. Stopped at the viewpoint just south of Olifants. Here we saw Yellow-billed stork, plenty of hippo, grey heron, fisheagle, waterbuck and Klipspringer up very close.

Drove to Olifants, met DVZ and her SO and had breakfast overlooking the view at Olifants. Saw black stork (1st for me), martial eagles, fish eagles with chick in nest, baboon, impala, more yb stork, grey heron, red-winged starling and squirrel.

What a lovely camp!!

Drove towards the Timbivati road, passed Roodewal and then just short of timbivati picnic spot and back to Balule again. Saw 2 lionesses and 1 male lying next to the road just past Ngotso dam (one of my favourites) Saw another rhino and stooped on the low level bridge at Balule to watch the sunset.

Had ribs and chops for dinner and more hyenas came to visit. Woke up at 2:00 with more lion roaring and eventually only awoke at 6:30. Found 2 green-winged pytillia and brubru (last 2 new ones for the weekend) in Balule camp. Packed and left for Olifants yet again, for breakfast at the lookout.

Saw the following birds at 1 puddle down below. Black stork, grey heron, yb stork, hamerkop, very young saddlebilled, greenbacked heron, white-crowned plover and woolly-necked stork.

Drove past the lookout towards the olifants bridge were we saw spoonbill and more white-crowned plover. Just south of Ngotso dam we saw some funny looking impala. It may be that my camera is not working 100%.

Drove the timbivati road, stopping briefly at the picnic spot. What a scenic road!!! Saw more ele’s and huge tusked warthog. Left Orpen gate at about 13:00.

Lovely trip!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Sorry no time for Mananga, unfortunately and it seemed that a big part of that area was burnt. A blessing in disguise realy with a landy. Imagine breaking down in the bush with no-one else to help. With a toyota it would have been a cinch.

A weekend is just not enough time!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Funny looking impala, What was wrong? Apperture or Shutter speed? Fotos did not come out right. Impalas don't have such long tails do they?

My Scops at Satara

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:54 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
It was my first sighting of cheetah in 6 years in the Park, having only seen them previosuly in '95 in the Skukuza area and in '99 near BnD. this was the best sighting I have had of it by far. I was sooooo excited that I had to look twice to make sure that it was not a leopard.

We drove in to the viewpoint over Ngotso dam. A man protruding from his sunroof told us that a cheetah moved down to the dam, and that we just missed it. I wanted to tell him that I took a pic of his protruding backside and that he just missed it.

In any case no use waiting for a cheetah to creep from his napping place so we drove out. Just as we got onto the tar road we saw this one next to the raod and then moving onto the road posing like a real cheetah should. with the landy being so high everyone else moved infront of us and we still had a good view. 1 point to landy!

I have always been lucky at this dam!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next