Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Satara nearby routes
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Fantastic information all, thank you I just realized that I didn't give much info about our trip :redface: We'll be in the park from 14/02/09 to 18/02/09, 2 nights @ Satara and 2 nights @ Olifants.

Day 1: We'll be entering Orpen gate around noon, and take the H-7 to Satara. Not exactly the best game viewing time of day, but we're hoping to have some of your luck ,BB and gerharddb. :pray: Depending on when we get to camp, as we'll be in no rush, we'll check availability for an evening or night drive, and maybe do a partial drive down S-100.

Day 2: The gates open at 5:30, and my plan it so be queued and ready! (not sure the wife will agree, but she can doze in the car. :)) I'm really leaning towards a drive to Tshokwane. (great info and suggestions, oddesy5466 and MM!!). Back to Satara that night.

Day 3: Eventually we need to make it to Olifants, and I think the S-39 will fit into our plans this day! (Maybe S-126 to S-36/39 if time permits) Stay at Olifants that night, overlooking the river.

Day 4: From Olifants...I'm WIDE OPEN on what to do this day. Northern routes towards Lataba, or southern routes back towards Satara/Orpen? Decisions, decisions.

Day 5: I need to get from Olifants to Eastgate airport for a flight that leaves at 1:55PM. :wall: Not sure if we'll have time to do much of anything, but we're considering exiting the park via phalaborwa and stopping at the masorini site. OR, we just might stay on the tar roads and swing back to Satara and out Orpen. (if, for no other reason, than to maybe get a chance to see the elusive wild dogs.)

Again, thank you all for your willingness to share your experience. I've purchased a few books about visiting SA and Kruger, and by far I've gotten better info right here from this site.

Post subject: Re: Satara nearby routes
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Check the sightings boards in the camps as well -- don't take them as gospel though :lol: Letaba is not far from Olifants and a trip up there is always worth while -- even if just to pop into the Elephant Hall.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:02 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Matambeni hide just north of Letaba is a must for us (from Olifants)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:51 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Stark have a awesome time, many already had replied so i won't say much except that you might also have a look at the Sweni road, very very nice and sometimes rewarding road!
Enjoy :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:42 pm 

We saw this guy just before the S100 Turn off outside Satara early on a July morning. When we first spotted the 2 males it was still so dark that we needed to use our torch to see him. But waking early pd off because as soon as there was enough light he got up and gave us a great show.

Picture a bit blurred (like our morning vision! :) )

That is the beauty of Satara. Somedays you don't even need to drive more than 2 km's out of camp to see a cat! My only real tip is that getting up early really has it's rewards. :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:21 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BunnyHugger wrote:
I have seen lion many times on the 100 and Cheetah on the S41.

I do not enjoy the S89, s90 as I have seen very little of any value on this road on any of the times I've been on it.

BH :D

I again agree, didn't mention the s41..I too find it a very rewarding road. Neither do I like the s89 or s90.... My personal feeling when driving there.....'its too dry' Don't know why, but to me it feels like driving the road to Orpen dam.... very dry :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You people and your S100...when will you learn!!! I expected more from you BH!!! :twisted: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:18 am 

Hey GS, DD, long time .... :D

DD. Best advice I can give you for doing the S100. Do it with your eyes open. :lol:

What can I say, it worked for me and I have usually found it a rewarding drive. 8)

In the words of one of our more famous comdians, "Keep 'em pealed. Hou hulle gepiele." :lol: :lol:

(I must admit that it has not been as rewarding of late than it was many years ago, but still an great drive.

Can you deny that N'wanetsi is one of the most beautiful places in KNP. It ranks right up there with the view from the Olifants viewing deck. AMA-ZZZZIng.

Sweni bird hide was awesome. And you have to take along a few sundowners to Nsemani dam. Just sit there and watch the hippos and the fish eagles and yuo may see the lions I saw there a few times.

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You see the problem was that WTM joined me last time...and he distracted me with bird sightings...so I probably missed all the animals :twisted: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:37 pm 

Nah DD.
You probably just scared them all away.

You can't blame the wild garden man when he's not around to defend himself. That's wrong boet. :naughty:

BTW, aren't birds animals too?

They are the thing we look at when the big 5 are in hibernation mode. The birds are fascinating and colourful. Very worthwhile to look at, espcially the double breasted matress thrashers you see around the pool. :lol:

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Okay folks, here's another question.... S100 first thing in the morning? Last thing in the evening? (or do the night/evening drives from Satara tend to swing down the S100?) I'm hoping to have the best chance of seeing every cardboard cut-out possible. :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Our night drive did the S100, out and back.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:26 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Stark, it's a good choice.
I have always found the waterholes very productive.
On my last trip to that area, I spent some while watching a skittish herd of thirsty Zebra weighing up the situation, while a pride of Lion lay sleeping metres from the water.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:36 am 

[quote="BunnyHugger"]Can you deny that N'wanetsi is one of the most beautiful places in KNP. It ranks right up there with the view from the Olifants viewing deck. AMA-ZZZZIng.

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Absolutely. Love it! Even if you are really UNLUCKY and don't see anything on the drive there, Nwanetsi is absolutely worth it :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Brilliant sighting BB! :thumbs_up:

The S100 also is a favourite with us - lots of lion sightings, and a cheetah too! But ... we try to avoid it in the late afternoon - lots of speeding cars and too much dust to see anything! :roll:

F2/2014