This information about Twitchlister by Doag Newman, a free listing software package for birds of the world just in via SABirdNet. The download is 15Mb in size and at this stage only working on Windows systems.
Doug Newman is the author of Bird Calls For Beginners
I have not yet downloaded and used it myself.
We have been threatening for a while and now it is here.
Simplybirding has written software that takes care of listing all your sightings and supports the full world bird list....
AND IT IS FREE.. Download it, pass it around... the point is it is free.
The first ever listing program that supports all the birds of the world, does not involve logging onto a web site to maintain your world and Southern African life list and sooooo much more and we will be expanding on it later.
There is no user manual at present but one will be coming soon. In the interim email me if you have installed it and you have problems and the default username and password to log in is
Use and enjoy,
It is a 15MB download.
Some questions were already put to Doug and he prepared a couple of answers.
I have had a few questions already so here goes on a few pointers.
1) The admin user is not for entering records but for system
administration. When you first login it will ask you to create users. (User Management - Add New User)
2) When creating a users you can decide
a) Does life list work on seen and heard or seen only (the life list
report will tell you birds you have heard but not seen)
b) Whether or not to remember last entry settings - this will
automatically populate fields for venue and trip to speed up entry of lists after the fact
c) Default Language - yes the entire interface and bird names will
switch to Afrikaans - it was as if it was written in Afrikaans to begin with
3) Once users created - log in as user.
4) When "taking on" an existing life list, add these records under the
"visit" named "No specific visit.
5) If multiple observers in the system when on the same outing, add their names under additional observers and it will automatically add it to their data when they login - they do not have to capture the same records themselves.
6) You can also load your records using Latin names
7) If you want to see the world list, tick the "Use World List" box
and the drop downs to add species will now have the full world list.
8 ) For species that do not have an English/Afrikaans family name e.g.
Bokmakierie, set family to (blank) i.e. the text "(bank)" rather than nothing in the box and then the bokmakieries will appear.
9) To enter species, select family first and then the species drop
down box will be populated by the species in that family.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.