Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Advanced Day visitor Permit info
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:28 am 

Hi Guys

What is the difference between a day permit and a day visitor permit.
and were can i get one?
I am going to the park in June, do you think i need to get one of the permits? :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The two are the same and are for day visitors staying outside the park.
They ensure you will get into the park during busy periods since they apply quotas at the gates which control the number of visitors.
If you are staying inside the park you do not have to worry about a day permit.
Phone reservations to book one if you will be coming in from outside the park.
Remember it is valid until 9 am of the day and you will need one for every day you intend to enter from the outside.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:06 pm 

Bush Baptist wrote:
Also if it enables wildcard holders with reservations to be processed faster it is worth it.

BB, I don't think it benefits anyone, whether you have a wild card or a reservation, as we saw it.
There is 1 queue at the gates and as you said its a case of first come first served.
The only way day permits can have been of benefit is if they had 2 seperate queues, one for day permits and booked reservations and one for casual day visitors without permits. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:19 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the suggestions and comments, much appreciated.
At the risk of repeating myself, KNP management is presently doing a study on guest/visitor management, particularly with road usage data.
Recent visitors might have noticed small black lines stretched across the road at various places with mysterious green boxes.
These boxes collect data like how many cars use the road, at what time of the day and what the frequency of this is.
This will tell us what sort of stress the roads have and whether the roads are overcrowded or not.
This data will then be analysed by a committee that has been established to look into the whole gate quota issue.
At this point, I would like to stress that you need to look at the gate quota issue in perspective with other issues like crowding at game spots, crowding at facilities (day visitor areas, picnic sites etc) and take educated decisions on the way forward.
This was one of the measures that came up after the extensive consultation we did during the whole KNP management plan process (widely discussed on the forum approximately two years ago).
Anyway, back to the gate quotas.
We know that there is a certain amount of strain on the park, especially on public holidays that fall within school holidays, and we know that we need to make some sort of revision on the whole quota policy, which will also help alleviate the traffic jams and resultant "road rage" at spots, making the KNP visit experience more pleasurable for everyone.
At present, the gate quotas (which are still in force, every day of the year) are based on the amount of facilities and road surface in that particular area.
Small gates have a quota of 350 (this includes Croc Bridge, Numbi, Orpen, Pafuri etc), big gates have a quota of 500 (this includes Malelane, Phalaborwa, Punda Maria etc) and the main gate of the park Paul Kruger Gate has a quota of 750.

Hope this explains.
Kind regards
KNP Spokesman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:47 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Before this new system will work effectively, personnel at the various camps will have no option but to have 2 queues -1 for those of us who have made and paid for day visitors reservations and a queue for those who couldn't be bothered to do so. It would be grossly unfair for those of us with paid day reservations to have to wait hours to get into the park if there is no monitoring by personnel - Croc Bridge being a classic example of not monitoring the queues over the Dec peak period.

In fact anyone without a day permit should be turned away at the entrance gate up until 13h00 when the permit expires.

Quote:
What about a refund of the day visitor booking cost at the entrance gate when submitting your wildcard. So, if you do arrive at the gate, your wildcard gives you free entrance into the park and you get a refund. If you have made a booking as a day visitor and you don't pitch ... you loose!

A good suggestion by Annalie.

I also think this system should only be implement during peak periods (long weekends and school holidays) due to the chaotic situations during those periods.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:23 am 

Thanks KNP Spokesman for the specific numbers per gate.

Just to add to this thread, the press release of 18 June, day bookings can again be made, at a cost:

"...advanced bookings can be made through any of the booking offices no less than one day prior to date of arrival at the Kruger National Park and that using this facility will come at a minimal and non-refundable cost per person of R20 per adult and R10 per child entering the park. This fee will be payable (in advance) by all who wish to make a day visitor booking in advance. Please note that this fee is separate from the normal conservation fee payable upon entrance of the park and Wild Card holders will also be required to book.

Guests with day visitor bookings will also be expected to arrive at the booked gate by not later than 13:00 on the date of booking, after which time the booking lapses. Guests should ensure that they do not arrive at a different gate from the one they made advanced bookings at.

Advanced day-visitor bookings will only constitute 60% of the gate’s day-visitor quota, with 40% being kept open for visitors to enter on a first-come first-served basis. The gate quotas are limits per gate on the number of day-visitors that the area and infrastructure adjacent to each gate is able to support to ensure a good visitor experience."

Full SANParks press release

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:31 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I'm, sorry to have to disagree.
But, it is really a good idea to pre-book.
Yes you still have to wait in the line, and will not enter sooner, but at least you have the guarantee that you will be able to enter.
During school holidays and long weekends, this is critical.

I have often witnessed the queues at the gates, and I have seen the disappointment!
Do not allow that to happen to you!

Yes, if you are at the gate really early, the chances are good that you will be able to get in.
But, I mean really early!
On the busy days, queues tend to form well before opening time.
At Crocodile Bridge I have seen queues of 150 cars before 06:15! :big_eyes:

Booking just gives you security.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I think the cut off point under the new system is 13:00

Thats correct Sarah.

Post subject: Re: Day Visitor Permits
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My personal feeling on this is that the day visitor permit ensures you can enter the park on a specific day. However at most of the gates there is limited parking so they only let a certain amount of vehicles in at a time. They let the next lot in once the car park is cleared. I don't think the day visitor pass allows you to jump this queue, and I'm not sure it should. I know thats an unpopular statement, but why should those who arrive late get in 1st?. Only their entry is assured not their place in the queue at the gate

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Right I can now throw slightly more light on this situation.
I have today phoned Pretoria reservations who although willing to sell me the day visitors permit could help no further.
They recommended that I telephone Croc Bridge which I did.
The bad news is that there will be absolutely NO recognition given to anyone in the queue with either a permit OR EVEN a reservation inside Kruger Park.
I have been told that the queue will be handled on a first come, first served basis.
Now when we were in the Park in Sept/Oct last year we were at the gate between 4.30 and 5 every morning and still ended up sitting in a queue for between 3 to 4 hours.
Now I am sorry but I just do not understand the parity in this - Joe Soap can arrive at the gate at 5.30 in the morning without a day visitors permit or maybe not even being in possession of a Wildcard and we all know how long it takes to issue a wild card and yet he will receive preference over someone 20 back in the queue who has taken the trouble to have his Wildcard issued before getting to the Park and who is also in possession of a permit (at a price)and/or reservation (at an even larger price).
All that Crocodile Bridge will say is that they will allow only 15 cars through at a time and that you must still queue!
This is tantamount to telling somebody with a rugby season ticket that they must queue at the box office before a rugby game with everyone else!
Of course the simple remedy is for the majority of folk who can to not go to the Park during school holidays but unfortunately we are not all lucky enough to be in this position.
I must confess I am extremely perturbed by what has been told to me!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We enter through Croc Bridge once a month and the longest wait was 1 hour in Dec.

Yes I feel the same as you about paying for the reservation and still end up queuing, but there is nothing we can do until the gate is upgraded and even then we will still end up in the day-visitors queue.

The point of making a reservation is that you can not be turned away because the park is full, it actually has nothing to do with queuing. :roll:

You therefore have an option of 3:
1. Dont pay and end up being turned away. :cry:
2. Pay and queue. :(
3. Pay and only go to the park later in the morning so that you miss the early traffic. :P Your booking is valid until 12:00 or 13:00.

Yes, option 3 make you miss the early animals, but you can make up for it by booking a morning drive on one of the days. They allow you in earlier for the drive - no queue. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Permit preference?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I understand that it works like this.....
There is a quota for the gate.
They know how many bookings they have.
That number is subtracted from the quota and gives the unbooked quota.
In the morning the system of first come first served operates until the unbooked quota is reached (they keep a record of numbers to refer to at the entrance gate).
After that it is only booked folk who are allowed to enter.
If you are booked you have until 1300 to take up the booking.
There is also no system for 'one out one in' - so once the quota for the day is reached that is it.
Honorary Rangers will probably also be helping out to keep things running smoothly.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If you have a reservation to stay in the Kruger Park at one of the camps, you will be allowed in even if the quota for the day has been reached.
You would have to show your reservation form at the entrance gate and pay the conservation fee if you do not have a Wildcard.

It is the visitors who are staying out of the park who have the quota problem.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:26 pm 

Foxy is correct.

It is the day visitors system that has a quota. A day visitor is someone who comes in only for the day and leaves again that same day, without sleeping over. People who advance book their day visit must enter before that time, otherwise they forfeit their booking.

You will have absolutely no problems getting in, since you are not a day visitor.

I have arrived at a gate at 6 pm, and have been let in.

Please note that you have to allow for travelling time inside the park, since they will not allow you in if you are not going to reach your destination before the camp gates close.

During September the entrance gates and the camp gates close at 18:00. Because travelling is un-predictable I would suggest that you book your first night at one of the camps close to Nelspruit, near the border of KNP. Your options are: Berg-en-dal, Malelane, Pretoriuskop, Skukuza and Crocodile bridge.

Post subject: Re: Access KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:03 pm 

There is good reason why they cannot allow three vehicles in, when three have left.
People do not necessarily leave at the gate they have entered.

Quotas are calculated according to how many people can be accommodated with the given infrastructure (roads, toilets, restaurants, pick nick sites).
It can become hectic at places such as Afsaal and Lower Sabie on busy days.
Allowing more people would make the situation quite unbearable.

If they just allow more people in, after some have left, they have no idea as to how many people has moved from different gates to different points on a given day.
It could easily create a situation where it becomes plainly unmanageable and unbearable.
It is better to stop some people at the gate, rather than having many more visitors have bad experiences within the park.

It is sad, but KNP can only manage so many people.
That's the reality.