Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rooiputs
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:57 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Johan316 wrote:
We had 2 huge males and 2 females sharing stand no 1 with us for 2 days !!!!
Scary, but VERY exiting !!!!!!
I can send you some pics of the camp and our uninvited guests...
Post them on this thread so we can all see them please!

Post subject: Kgalagadi campsites Botswana side
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:14 pm 

We are going to visit the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park on 6, 7, 8 & 9 August 2008. We plan to camp at Rooiputs and Polentswa. Is there any ablution facilities at these campsites? Is there water? I suppose the campsites is not fenced in and how do we deal with lions.

Post subject: camping
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:48 pm 

Hi Johnny

Both Rooiputs and Polentswa have long-drops and there is water but they say its not suitable for drinking but i have spoken to people who say the water is brackish but not terrible.
I would rather suggest you take your own drinking water.

You are right these camps are not fenced and the animals have right of way. So the best advise I can give is to be vigilant around the camp at night, and should you get a unexpected visitor sit tight (in your vehicle) and enjoy the experience.

Bigal

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:01 pm 

Hi Johnny Raakvat, welcome to the forum !
You can also find general information here.

Post subject: KTP December / January
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:45 pm 

Hi there everyone,
We are planning our trip to KTP for December 2008 / January 2009. I have read the posts about Polentswa and Rooiputs regarding the lion activity. We are traveling with three small children (3 vehicles). We did a trip through Botswana last year including Sunday Pan and Moremi, but did not have any lion activity and we roped off our camp which seemed to deter the hyenas.

What would your recommendations be? Should we stick to the SA side in the fenced off camps?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:54 pm 

If you were happy in CKGR and Moremi, then there's no need to worry.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:06 pm 

Hi Discobob,

Thanks for the information. Read about 4 to 6 lions hanging around the camp sites at Polentswa, so was just a bit worried.

Post subject: Polentswa
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:13 pm 

Bigal - there are about 4 sites in total. No 1 is my favourite - I will be there for Xmas for about 4 days. It has one very nice big tree and looks open onto the savannah. As far as lions - they love coming into camp and scared me to DEATH in 2006. Last year some spotted hyaena came for a visit. My advice is to eat fairly early for dinner - if you are meat eaters...so are they and they sniff it miles away. But it is thrilling as long as you are careful. I have nearly stood on a snake there and 2 minutes later a bat flew **SMACK** onto my hand!? Enjoy, its an adventure!

PS> If you arrive and someone else has taken No 1 - which could happen and has happened...they need to move as long as you have your paper with your booking.

Tuli / Makgadigadi Pans / Moremi - Sept
Garonga - October 2010
KTP - Dec/Jan 10

Post subject: polentswa
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:13 pm 

Its lovely, the best campsite. It overlooks a vast flat area, you can see for miles. Enjoy!

Post subject: Gemsbok/Polentswa trail Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:35 pm 

I need info on the trail; how many vehicles per group at most, is it possible to start by sleeping at rooiputs, then to polentswa, sesatswe, lang rambuka and again rooiputs. What is the other trail going to Kaa called?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums, hannalise!

For more about the Botswana side of KTP, take a look at the Botswana thread.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:03 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi hannalise,
It is compulsory to sleep over somewhere on the Polentswa trail. It is a one-way route (anti-clockwise from Polentswa, up to the Kaa gate and back to Polentswa). You will get general booking and other information such as number of vehicles etc from DWNP Botswana.

The other section you refer to is known as the Swartpan loop with three camp sites. This loop starts and ends at Kaa.

Anyone doing these trails must remember to be totally self sufficient as there are no fuel or drinking/washing water available in this area, unless you are willing to try the very brackish water at some of the waterholes (and end up with your stomach reacting very strongly and irritably retaliate to this abuse).

There is only fuel available at Nossob. Unfortunately passing travellers think that they can stop for a quick shower - much to the discomfort of paying resident campers when travellers abuse the facilities. There is also (understandably) a cap on the amount of fuel that they allow per transaction at Nossob.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:29 pm 

Hi
thanks for all the info on Botwana trails. My husband and I have booked the Polentswa trail for JUly 2009 but the problem is we have only one vehicle. Is it essential to have 2 vehicles? If so is there anyone out there keen to join us - 3 - 6 July 2009

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 am 

Hi Cheryl,

We would love to join, but unfortunately, my husband only closes in December, so that is the only time that we have to really travel. I would recommend that you check the SA 4x4 Community, there are always people there looking to either tag along, or have people travel with them. Good luck.
http://www.4x4community.co.za

Post subject: Re: Is a 4X4 necessary for Rooiputs and Polentswa
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:46 pm 

Hey guys and gals ,
I've been camping at Polenstwa for 3 years in a row now , going there for a week at a time .I drive a Nissan 2.7 diesel 4x2 High rider diff lock without any trouble of getting stuck but i think that a corsa might be on the ligh side because there are some small stretches of thick sand .Camp site nr 1 is the best and you must try to secure it .January is the best time of the year to go because all the annimals have young .
Take enough drinking water cause the water suply there is non excistent .

Canon 7D Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM-Canon 100-400 IS USM F4.5-Canon 28 - 135 is -Sigma 24mm f1.8 MACRO-Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM-Canon EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM-Canon EF 2X II Extender-Canon EF 1.4 Extender

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next