Skip to Content

Dams - water levels

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 pm

I read recently (?latest Kruger Times) that they plan to pump water in to dilute the algae and then will monitor the situation. They do not want to drain it because of the tourist value/interest - but obviously will do so if it becomes necessary.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Visit OLA

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby oddesy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:31 pm

This is not good news at all, sunset dam is definately one of my favourite places with almost always something to see. But i would rather it be drained than kill animals. Thanks for the up date Ecojunkie. I dont think that diluting it will help though as far as i know , as the algae can grow very , very rapidly if conditions are suitable so would it not just 'pollute' the added water as well?

Is there not some form of biological control that could be used ?

:( :(
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mgoddard » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:03 am

I read on the forum about Silolweni dam and it was said that its caused by the number of hippo's in the dam (I think), so if that is the case cant they just relocate some of the hippos to ease the problem or help sort it out.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:18 am

This one you mean?
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bucky » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Hippo feces in the water is the root cause of the blue green algae taking a hold in a dam, and if there are to many hippos, then you have a bigger problem and build up.
Sunset dam luckily has a constant flow of water being pumped into the dam, so it does have a certain amount of water getting flushed through it, unlike some of the other big earthen dams that are a 1 way stop for the water.
Luckily in dams that have a flow of water moving through themb the algae tends to not build up to levels that are dangerous enough to kill animals.
One must also remember that this algae is naturally present in most of the water in the park, it is just the levels of concentration that cause a problem.
It is also not all algae that are poisonous, so if you see a bit of algae it may be a harmless type.

Sunset dam being near the Sabie river helps a lot as there is a ready supply of fresh water available to pump into the dam to dilute and flush the algae.

The problem in dams will be worse in winter because of two reasons, there is less rain water flushing the dam, and more hippo tend to hang about in the dam as seasonal pools they may inhabit in summer will dry up so they seek out new "homes" for the winter.

To move the hippos away will not help as they will just return to the dam, or other hippos will soon take up residence in there if the territorial group is missing for a while.

I am sure sunset dam will be fine though
:D

Oumie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Oumie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:03 am

wildtuinman wrote:I think Kruger will soon have to include hippo on their culling list.

Oh dear....the Hippos are Naughty....but no cullings :naughty:
Last edited by Oumie on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:15 am

Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:54 am

Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

lebrob

The rivers in Kruger

Unread postby lebrob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:07 am

I just got back from a visit in the Kruger. It was my first visit back in quite a while and it was so awesome but I just have a few questions (or worries) regarding the water within the rivers. I spent a night at Shimuwini,an extremely stunning camp, on the Letaba and I noticed the colour of the water was very concerning (polluted looking)... I also noticed the Olifants had an enormous amount of algae, which if I'm not mistaken is associated with an abnormal amount of ecoli in the water?
If anyone can full me in on this would be greatly appreciated?
I personally believe this is what could possibly be that unknown croc killer???

Thanks all.
Robbie:)
The Kalahari reveals itself to...... only those who seek with a true heart.

I wake up everyday, in this beautiful country of ours, hoping that soon I will make a difference to the future of our wildlife...
I hope to fulfill my dreams...:)

sandiem
Location: In UK desperately waiting for the next trip to SA!!

Unread postby sandiem » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:22 am

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:25 pm

The quality of the water in a lot of dams/rivers in KNP indeed needs expert attention on a big scale, as they do not look and prove healthy at all.

What concerns me is that government should be part of this investigation, as most of the rubbish flows from outside the park into Kruger. Would a 'cleaning or rinsing' filters in the rivers at the western border of Kruger be too costly or impractical.....I'm just thinking out loud, because once the balace of the water is disturbed, it has a huge negative ripple effect in Kruger :(

Looking at Sunset Dam, I really think they need to drain it, start fresh and even then pump new water in at a regular base, as we could see impala's who were thirsty dislike the water.
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

kaka_sparrow

Re: Sunset Dam Green

Unread postby kaka_sparrow » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:33 pm

to control the problem they might try burning the surrounding areas so the hippos will be encouraged to move because of smaller grazing area or lowering the water level so that hippos wont be able to reside in that particular dam or as a last resort culling..
YoU sEe ThE tHiNg Is MaTe...I dOnT cArE..sAvVy!

JustJuice

Re: Sunset Dam Green

Unread postby JustJuice » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:31 pm

I was at Sunset Dam over the last weekend and the dam is looking better than it was.
JJ

DinkyBird

Re: Green dams / rivers

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:05 pm

Sunset Dam now has only a few tinges of the green left on tiny parts of the water edge. As you can see the dam is 100% full.

Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Re: Green dams / rivers

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:54 am

Olifants River - Nov 2008

Letaba River - Nov 2008

Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “Kruger National Park”