Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Kgalagadi: trailers, caravans & motorhomes
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 am 

Hi All
I have a Kia Sorento and will be travelling in the KTP. The problem is we have two extra passengers so I will need to take a trailer.

Can anyone out there let me know if I can use an ordinary Venter or do I need to have a trailer with offroad capabilities?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:16 pm 

Hi Afmeager!

Firstly welcome to the forum
It depends where you'll be traveling in KTP, the main roads from TR to Mata-mata and Nossob are both fine, but some of the other so called "duneroads" might pose a problem.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:09 pm 

Hi Avmeager ..... Welcome
We have never been there ourselves, but are planning a trip there at the end of this month with friends, and we are taking a normal trailer .... not a 4x4 trailer. From all the research we have done & questions asked and answered on this forum, we have established that a normal trailer will cope with the main roads from camp to camp, but obviously not on 4x4 trails, etc. Good luck and have fun

Post subject: Re: KTP and trailers
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The car is not a problem (driving a sportage myself and towing an off-road trailer). Trailers comes in all makes and shapes and even Venter makes an off-road trailer. Let us then rather talk about smooth roads (even on gravel) and bumpy off-road.

Road trailers are not as heavy as off-road trailers, mainly because of the lighter construction and will be easier to tow.

Check out whether the suspension is attached to a firm frame or spot-welded directly onto the body of the trailer, even if it is reinforced at the connection. You may end up with metal fatique on corrugated roads and in the worst case lose the whole axle. Just visit places like Angola to see all the discarded trailers. The lighter make of trailers usually have no shocks and cannot handle corrugations well - even aggravates existing corrugations. These trailers also have less protection against chipping by the stones, kicked back from the towing vehicle. Do not be fooled by black paint only - it will look like sand-blast cleaned metal after the trip (again my own personal experience). It must be a tough durable stone protection material.

Off-road trailers have a more sturdy built with a separate metal frame chassis to handle the conditions. Some are not equiped with shocks and will bounce more on corrugated roads.

Whatever you use, keep in mind the limitations of the trailer - reduce tyre pressure on the trailer as well (same as car) and reduce speed to suit the trailer and the road conditions.

Post subject: toeganklikheid tot tweerivieren met woonwa
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:34 pm 

wil graag tweerivieren besoek gedurende julie 2008 met woonwa maar weet nie of woonwa op pad tussen askam en tweerivieren in `n toestand is vir die sleep van woonwa ?

Post subject: Re: toeganklikheid tot tweerivieren met woonwa
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:39 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Translation:
Would like to visit Tweerivieren during July 2008 with a caravan but do not know if the road between Askam and Tweerivieren is in suitable condition for the towing of a caravan.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:27 pm 

Hi EE
Just back from TR
The road from Askam is 60% tarred and the detour is good.
Seen a few caravans at TR so dont believe you will have a problem

Post subject: Toeganklikheid met woonwa
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:38 pm 

Hi Bert
Dankie vir jou spoedige antwoord

Post subject: First Trip to KTP
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:52 am 

Hi there guys, at long last it seems that a dream to visit the KTP will be coming true. This will be the first trip for the 4 of us, we are planning on the last weeks of July and we would appreciate any advice that could be given. we planned to travel with two vehicles towing caravans, not the off road type but just ordinary vans that have had bodies raised over the axles a few inches to improve clearance. We planned to travel from Jhb via Kuruman and then head north vi Van Zysrus with a couple of stop overs before arriving at the park. We think from the posts in the forum that the best camp for us would be Nossob and would like advice on the conditions of the roads along our route to and in the park, We can only spend 5 nights in the park so don't want to move around too much and would prefer to be in just one camp so can any one give estimates on how long it would take to tow from the entrance gate to Nossob and if there is any where close by the park (+- 150kms) that we can over night and then still get to Nossob the next day or should we spend a night in Twee Riveren first.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Hi Andrewgwizz! Welcome to the forum.

You are brave - towing a normal caravan to Nossob! If you really have to go to Nossob, stay at TR the night before. You might need the whole day to get to N, and in July gates open late and close early , so travelling time in the park is reduced. Roads to N can be very bad as well. In all our visits to KTP, I don't think we have ever seen a normal caravan at N! My suggestion - stay at TR(good sightings from there as well) or Mata Mata, or leave your caravan at TR when you want to visit N.

If you really have to take the van to N - Go Slow, Deflate tire pressures and make sure your vehicles and van are not overloaded.

F2/2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:44 am 

Ouch, that sure puts damper on our initial plans as Nossob was our first choice, a lot of people seem to say that TW is overlooked as a camp and only used for the first and last nights. is this really so? Why say that we would be better of at Mata Mata? is it just because its 40km shorter or is it that the roads are better?
the vans have travelled on some rough roads in their time and we would be taking lots of precautions or do you think we would be better of camping or in chalets?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:16 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
TR - we have had great sightings around TR - TR to Kji Kji road(leopard, lion, AWC, cheetah and Honey badger)On the auob side - leopard, AWC and lion, and at Samevloeing (2nd waterhole outside TR) a lion kill. Lovely bird sightings too and of course beautiful herds of the normal game. Also in camp - a cape fox and jackals, our neighbour had an AWC on his patio. So - try not to overlook TR!

Mata Mata - the road is slightly better and we have seen normal vans at MM. ( bucky has taken his van to MM, so if he does not reply to this thread, I suggest you pm him)

Nossob is a great camp,if you stay there, I suggest chalets - in July Nossob can experience -ve temps.

Also read the 'Kgalagadi roads' thread - it might give you more of an insight into the conditions in KTP. Hope this helps!

F2/2014

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:51 am 

Thanks Wanderw for your advice, from what you said and from what i have read we think that we will modify our trip slightly and stay at 2R and MM. the upside is that we will get another night in the park and exit out to Namibia

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Andrewgwizz and welcome to the forum!
I second Wanderw's suggestion of not taking your caravan up to Nossob. We have just returned from the park, and at times the road on the Nossob side was quite corrugated! More so than the MM side! Although we did not find the roads as "bad" as some people have suggested in the other threads! You will find that at a certain speed your car goes really well over the corrugations - sometimes a little faster and sometimes slower!! Just depending on what you are driving. We were in my little Daihatsu Terrios - which purred like a kitten most of the time - some times though it was as if the kitten was on top of the washing machine that has just gone on to spin!!! BUT this is KTP one cannot expect smooth sailing like in Kruger - KTP is the wild side of Africa Don't be put off too much by the roads... its the luck of the draw as to when they were graded and also how many people have actually NOT deflated their tyres etc. etc.
One thing - DONT FORGET YOUR YELLOW RIBBON!! I hope you guys will have an awesome trip - KTP rocks!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sorry Andrew to be putting a bit of a damper on your planing, but the advice is very true - you came to the right place to ensure you are well planned.

I've been caravaning for many years and there is just no way that I will ever go there with one. I know there are people who do, but I just wouldn't. We have always camped in KTP and a tent, or off-road trailers/caravan, remains the best option.

I would agree with Wanda that the best routes would be Twee Rivieren to Mata Mata and that should work for you if you are planning to carry on to Namibia. Will not recommend the Nossob route at all for a caravaan - the corrugations is one thing, but you do not want to loose axles on that high middleman and then ruin you first trip to KTP - and any trip there is a winner.

Be well prepared and ensure you have a good tool box with you. Make sure that you equipment inside the caravaan is extremely well secured. Take the road very slowly and you should have the best chance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next