Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:37 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Also camped there many moons ago :wink: We used to park our caravan right under the big Boabab tree (now fenced off) had many Hyenas and Lions walking past the corner making a noise. That is where we saw our first and only sightings of an
Scaly Anteater 8) Never saw one again :(

Deposit paid for Kruger 2015

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:23 pm 

Oh yes, did I forget to mention that I also managed to "electrocute" myself on 2 occasions on the fence during my stay at Balule :redface:
Now whos the monkey... :D hehehehehehe

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:21 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
After my last experience at Balule, its on my "to do" list again.
I thoroughly enjoyed the camp.
I liked not being overwhelmed by too many people, the resident Hyenas, the lamps...

I would like to try the huts. They do look very comfortable and ideal for meeting basic needs.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:20 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Charlie,

i stayed there in december 2005. The fence is about 2 meters high and there were no animals (except birds) in the camp. Ok, i don´t know what goes up, when i sleep.

Close by visitors to the fence on regular base are hyenas. But they didn`t try to come in, when i was there.

Also very close ellies.

Like other camps, if a animal would like to come in, the fence would be no problem for them. Normally the fence is to keep humans in the camp.

But at all, i am a "Weichei" - soft egg, but i never felt unsafe in Balule. Go there, it is magical!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:05 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

There are two large communal freezers, one in the hut section and one in the camping.
If you find yours doesn't feel cold I am sure no-one will mind you sharing the other one, they are never full :D
May be a bit of a walk but you never know what you may see on the way :wink:
I love Balule, have camped there many times :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 am 

Just to say that we had an awesome time in Balule again (30/31/12/07 - 02/01/08) :dance: Everything was perfect, except for the heat and the bugs. We saw everything we wanted to see, including a leopard approx. 2 km's from camp, in a tree, right next to the road.

Bunnyhugger, the stars were awesome. It felt like you could touch them. Added to this, was the fireflies. With the stars and the fireflies, we did not need any crackers or rockets. It was just us and the quiet and the lions having a ball on the river road.

The park is beautiful! The bush was teeming with life, lush and green and we saw amazing things, including a baby terrapin, the size of a coffee cup and all the impi babies. The birds were too many. We couldn't even identify all of them (lbj's and all) :D

We cannot wait for April to go back again. It was just what we needed. What a way to end the old year and to start the new year. :clap: :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:39 pm 

Hi HB, the baobab is still there, but the camping site has been changed to the opposite side. The huts and camping site have 2 seperate entrances and you can only get from the one side to the other via a pedestrian gate.

The fence is also electrified (they use solar power and batteries), but it is still the most amazing camp, especially at night, so I think that the ele's will think twice before trying the same stunt.

The hyenas, however, are very opportunistic. All around the fence (camping side) there are big rocks against the fence to keep them out of camp, because they dig holes to get underneath the fence. So, if ever you camp in Balule again, do not remove the rocks! :shock:

We did hear the ele's around the camp in the bushes. They were a bit upset with each other, but luckily they did not get near the fence to try something or got us to hide in the ablution facility. :)

On our last visit (end December, beginning of Jan) we only heard the lions around camp. They were very near because we could actually hear the low grunting noises they made, which is not always so audible when they are further away.

All in all, the whole park is my favourite, but Balule is my favourite favourite. :dance:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:08 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Wildheart, last time I was there, I did not see any hire out gas braai stuff, but they did have a pot of boiling water available at the communal kitchen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:10 pm 

No :lol: but they do have a kettle on the gas stove from very early in the morning :wink:
Have a great trip!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:06 pm 

Hey guys and gals!

Haha... Balule will be perfect in a high load shedding month :D !

Haven't been on the Forums for a while now but just wanted to add a little something to this thread about Balule!

I stayed at Balule for three nights in December last year (2007) and it was simply the best camp that i have stayed at in the park, of course I have my favourites but Balule is just very special! It was my first time and certainly not my last!

All three nights were fantastic but our second night produced one of the most amazing moments of my entire life... We were sitting having a braai and heard low growling coming from the riverine bush on the Northern side of the camp, having heard the sound before I knew immediately that it was a leopard clearing his throat!

We all got very excited and scooted over to the far end of the camping ground where a small crowd was gathering... no one could see anything but we all stood and watched the bush with spotlights in hand. Suddenly from behind a thorn tree walked ,not one but two adult leopards, a male and a female! :D ... Just to make it even more special they began to mate in the open about 20 metres from the fence :mrgreen: ... Once in a lifetime stuff and something i will never forget!!

I had heard about the resident male leopard at Balule but to see him and his Mrs was incredible.

EnjoY!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:31 pm 

It seems that a lot of very exciting things happen in Balule.

When we were there on 30/04/08, we were having our dinner and we sat looking at the resident hyenas patrolling the fence as usual.

At one stage I switched on the mag light to look at the hyena, when I spotted small eyes, very low in the grass. At first I thought it was a mouse, but low and behold, the mouse became very long and slithered across to our front yard.

It was a very long, very thick rinkhals and he was adamant that he wanted to come into the camp, right where we sat. A travelling ranger from Bundu Safari's stomped next to the fence on the ground and the snake slithered off into the bushes, apparently only until all the excitement died down. He then came in through the fence at another spot, slithered underneath another camper's tent and went up a tree!

Luckily I did not see that. It was amazing, but scary at the same time. There was only a thin fence between us and that snake!

Balule is and will be my favourite camp for many more years to come. The best was when it started raining on our last night before we moved to Letaba. The smell of the rain on the bushes and dust, oh man - words fail me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:30 am 

He there all the g's and welcome to the forum.

Please observe the health warning.

This place is addictive.

To answer your question about electricity boxes.

None, nothing, nada, niks. (I think you get the idea) you shower by lantern light so take a gas lamp to the ablutions with you.

The only lights you see at Balule is Olifants on the hill a good few KM away.

Balule gives new definintion to "Rustic" but is just sooooooo cooooooool.

Titus is very friendly and an absolute star. (He is the "keeper" of Balule.)

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:06 pm 

Balule does indeed have cellphone reception.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post subject: first time camper at balule
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:18 pm 

I will be camping at balule for the first time in June. :D I was wondering.Even with only 18 camping sites can the camp still feel over crowded?? Or is the layout so that you really feel the isolation? Also is their any plug points at the ablution blocks?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:37 pm 

Hi Jeanne.

Balule is a fantastic place. It is small and even when full, I never felt like everyone was "on top of me". It was not crowded at all.

There are no (as in zero) electrical points. There is no electricity at all.

Balule is a real gem precisely because of the lack of electricity. If I ever hear that they contemplate putting in electricity, I will petition like crazy to get the idea turned over. 8)

Small bit if advice. You need a torch and gas lights. The parafin lighting they have in the ablutions does not give enough light and I used my small gas light to shower. The torch you want to use to get to and from the ablution, just to make sure you don't bump into uninvited guests on your way to the ablution in the darkness.

In the corner near the ablutions, there is a "permanent camp" set up for foreign travellers. (Used by tour operators). They tended to be a little more noisy than everyine else and there sight gave off huge amounts of light to the surrounding camp sights. They did however, go sleep early and the noise level was just slight above the usual hubbub of conversation from all the other sites.

Other than that I only have one major complaint about Balule.

I DID NOT SPEND ENOUGH TIME THERE. :lol:

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next