Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Satara Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:18 am 

Please can any advise me what Satara camp is like.

Are the camping spots next to the fence? And is there shade?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

We go there again and again! :D If camping - not much shade and somehow the wind is always blowing there. But still one of my favourite camps. Nice reception/shop/restaurant area. Lots of birds if you're a birder, lots of animals to be seen right outside the fence. By the restaurant fence there's a waterhole frequented by wildebeest and elephant. Nice roads to explore from there. Beautiful nights - completely dark - good for stargazing. I can go on and on and on! :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:29 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

There are camping spots next to the fence, but as the regular campers will tell you they are quickly taken if you do not pitch camp early.

I'll challenge the "not much shade" with a "no shade" the small trees in the camping area does not give any noticeable shade. No grass and as GP said the wind tends to blow there more than other places in the park.

BUT, Satara is a lovely camp. Lots of animals in the area. And most probably the best sunsets in the Park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:50 am 

All of the above and a must if you want a 'bushveld' atmosphere!

We have been lucky to usually squeeze in under a bit of shade for part of the day. There are lots of sites along the fence but as posted above they are in great demand but certainly worth pitching on!

Post subject: Satara
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There is also a wonderful donor cottage situated right behind the waterhole that is outside the fence. This waterhole is floodlit at night and is controlled by the Rudy Frankel cottage but it is the cottage next door called the Stanley that is utterly charming that I speak of. When one returns from your morning drive there is a plethora of reading matter written by Anne Stanley after whom the cottage is named. The books are called "Heaven on Earth" and make for the most fascinating reading. As for the "cottage" itself it is absolutely splendid with a dining room of baronial proportions and a wonderful atmosphere. We delighted in spending 4 days in this wonderful accommodation and barely needed to go out for a drive. At the floodlit waterhole at night we saw - leopard, lion, hyaena, elephant, buffalo, african wild cat, civet, genet (in our garden)and so many other animals. It sleeps at least 9 people that I remember and the bedrooms and bathrooms are totally old fashioned but charming nevertheless. Check it out next time any of you want to stay at Satara. We have also stayed at the Rudy Frankel cottage next door several times but it has not got nearly as much character as the Stanley.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:09 am 

Do you have a favorite spot along the s100 for seeing the sunrise?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The whole of the S100 will do as it runs in an easterly direction. 8) Just make sure you go there first thing and remember everybody does - it resembles the Skukuza Highway on any given morning. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:28 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
U could expect sunsets like these at Satara.

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject: Rudy Frankel Cottage - Satara
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have just been reading all my back copies of the Kruger Times brought down very kindly by Kirsty when she came for my daughter's wedding and I see that the Rudy Frankel cottage at Satara has burned down. I wonder what will be built in its place and whether one will still be able to control the floodlight onto the waterhole from whatever is built there.

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:09 pm 

That's such a shame :(
Was the duty manager called Gorden Ramsden, by any chance, he can tell you lots of good Kruger stories, he used to be restaurant manager and do night drives at Lower Sabie, then went to Berg-en-dal, then to Satara. He loved doing night drives as he said it was the only time he could get out in the park, would stay out till all hours, he is so enthusiastic and knowledgeable. He really deserves a 'Kudu' award, his whole family work in the park.
I have been on one of his night drives where he 'called' a cheetah and it actually came out to his call, amazing :!:
He's an asset to the park.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Although I hate the S100 as a result of lack of great personal sightings other visitors have had on this road it, is a good one.

I love the Nwanetsi tar road going towards the Nwanetsi picnic spot. Used to be a resident leopard living in a drainage pipe under the road there. Also had great luck with rhinos and badgers on this specific road.

In actual fact all roads around Satara are extremely good. The H1-4 north of Satara does provide sightings of cheetah.

The whole area is excellent for viewing raptors.

Enjoy once more!!!

Cheerio
WTM

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:51 am 

Brett,

My personal favourites are:
H7 to Orpen and on the way back I tack the S106 Rabelais dam loop. The loop brings you back on the H7. Then S39 road to Timbavati. From Timbavati back to the H7 on the S40 (BUMPY road). Always tack a drive to the back of Nsemani dam, had numerous lion sightings there.

S100, S41 to Nwanetsi, drive down S37 to Sweni bird hide and come back on H6

Another longdrive (better part of a day if done slowly) with mix success is going down H7 towards Orpen, turn left on the S36 gravel road towards Muzandzeni picnic spot, carry on down the S36 to Nhlianguleni picninc spot (both picnic spots only have long drop toilets). You can the take the S33 or S34 to the tar road and visit Tshokwane before heading back. If I remember correctly there is a detour on the S36 (not indicated on my old map) because a section of road is closed for guests of Hamilton's tented camp

You can also decide to go up to Olifants if you want

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:58 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

There are lots of good roads in the Satara area.

One of my favourites hasn't been mentioned here yet: The Sweni Road (S126) - west of the H1-3. I have always had good sightings there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:58 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Post subject: Satara
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:57 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Satara:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next