Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Both of those are excellent options. Have only heard good things about the Legend. And the same from the people I know that use the Monarch.
One thing: the Legend close focus at 1.8m and the Monarch at 2.5m
Doesn't sound like much but when you're into birds and other little things like butterflies etc the 70cm can make a big difference.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The Nikon Monarchs are good bins but if they go for the same price as the Bushnell Legend then go for the Legend. Either way, I don't think you'd make a mistake if you go for one of these.

One comment though, personally I'd prefer the 8x42's as opposed to the 10x42's. People often think that greater magnification equals better quality. This is not the case, bins with greater magnification has lower light throughput and the image as viewed through an 8x42 will be brighter than 10x42, not to mention the fact that you have a wider field of view and less hand shake magnification.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

BushCall wrote:
Quite agree with you regarding getting top optics although I have never ever heard of Eye Witness Binos...Are they German ??? The one thing the Germans can do well and that is their optics.

Bushcall, I dont know....bought them at a special birding place on the 'Flevopolder in the Netherlands, cost me 700 euro's :shock: ....these guys were real experts though. Really, and its not because 'I have these binocs', but every other set eg. bushnell cannot match the EYE WITNESS....It says Field 6.0 (105 /1000 m), do you know what that means??

A bit off the topic :wink: but Germans cars are great to :wink:

Last edited by G@mespotter on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

deefstes wrote:
One comment though, personally I'd prefer the 8x42's as opposed to the 10x42's. People often think that greater magnification equals better quality. This is not the case, bins with greater magnification has lower light throughput and the image as viewed through an 8x42 will be brighter than 10x42, not to mention the fact that you have a wider field of view and less hand shake magnification.

EX-ACTLY!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

monnevanloon wrote:
Really, and its not because 'I have these binocs', but every other set eg. bushnell cannot match the EYE WITNESS....

I can't really comment on that as I don't know Eye Witness optics. I d find it odd though that they are so little known if they make such superb optics. Also, when someone makes a sweeping statement like "every other set cannot match the Eye Witness" I have to restrain myself. I don't know Eye Witness but I feel I'm safe in saying that there's no way it could compare with a pair of Leica Trinovid 8x50's.

monnevanloon wrote:
It says Field 6.0 (105 /1000 m), do you know what that means??

It is just two different ways to express the field of view that the binoculars offer. A field of view of 6 means that the angular extent of your vision through the binocs is 6 degrees. 105/1000m essentially says the same thing, at a distance of 1000m you can see a latteral 105m, which if you do the math [atan(105/1000) = 5.994 degrees] is the same as the first value of 6.0

The field of view is a function of the magnification and the objective lens diameter.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:50 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Deefstes,

Im sorry if I have created the wrong impression :redface: that Eye Witness is the only best, unmatched binocs :redface: . What I meant to say is 'for me personally, I didnt see through a set of binocs that did its job better than the Eye witness' :wink: Im sorry if I sounded snobby, ofcourse the Leica Trinovid is the most wellknown, established binocs we know off....I just wanted to make a statement :roll:

Anyway, thanx for your explanation! :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:32 am 

Dont forget the new Leica Ultravid's are even better than the legendary Trinovids which have now been replaced. The other 2 top producers in Europe are Swarovski and the legendary Zeiss who currently have the top birding binocular in their stable as voted by a team of experts from about 100 other pairs at a survey by the Ornthological Society at Cornell University..This is the 8 x42 FL Victory...I still havent heard of those Eye Witness binos in European Mags etc but the big 3 mentioned here are full up in their ads at the back...my birding friends have also never heard of Eye Witness and I am sure if they were that good like Swarovski/Bushnell/Leupold/Leica etc they would be used worldwide by birders etc. My wife uses the Leica 10 x42 Ultravid and I use the Zeiss 8 x 42 FL Victory and have used Zeiss since a little boy of 8 when my Dad gave me a pair of World war II German Officers Zeiss porro Prism miltary glasses complete with distance scale inside

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:51 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have also checked on the internet, not much on Eye Witness to look serious..... :roll:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

1: definitely get one pair for each person. This will save many arguments!

2: the binocular specs you quote might be OK BUT they do sound very cheap. If this is a one off never to be repeated trip, and spending a bit more is not appropriate, can you borrow some from friends? Bad quality bins (and there are plenty) are worse than useless, and you will probably see more with the naked eye!

If not, look for something for £50 upwards as a rough guide, try them out - then see if you can get something back on e-bay!

Richard

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:56 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi graham
Binocs discussion on the forum
You mind find some answers here

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
As RH says the most important thing is a pair each.
Binos enhance some sightings, particularly birds, but won't help with the lions lying on the road! I have never felt disadvantaged with my modestly priced 10x25s.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Graham, I've sent you a PM about a UK supplier.

Post subject: Re: Binoculars - complete beginner question
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:49 pm 

grahamcoleman wrote:
I know they more than likely aren't great, but we prob wont use them once we come back!

I wouldn't count on it.

I found that after I came back after my first SA visit I started taking more notice of the natural world around me. It's amazing what is out there, even in surburbia. Once you start noticing it you're going to want to take a closer look. We always have the binoculars with us now.

So my advice is to get the best you can afford.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:03 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I agree with Saraf.
Also, once you have them, they are useful for so many different things, such as sporting events.

I am not sure what makes you have available. We have Bushnell as the major medium priced stockist here. I'm afraid to say that I have been underwhelmed by the quality.
I have a pair of Kenko, which were extremely well priced and I do think they are the best value for money I have come across.

It was no surprise to me to find out that Kenko was in the lens business and is possibly best know for their protective lens covers.
Unfortunately their binos are no longer available in most of our stores.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:21 am 

richardharris wrote:
2: the binocular specs you quote might be OK BUT they do sound very cheap. If this is a one off never to be repeated trip, and spending a bit more is not appropriate, can you borrow some from friends? Bad quality bins (and there are plenty) are worse than useless, and you will probably see more with the naked eye!

If not, look for something for £50 upwards as a rough guide, try them out - then see if you can get something back on e-bay!

Richard

Absolutely agree with you Richard....Graham dont get anything x25 for Africa. They maybe small and convenient (Put in your shirt pocket) and cheaper than the larger sized ones but a 10 x25 even Zeiss , Leica and Swarovski (Ultra Premium European German/Austrian made and v Expensive) are extremely dark and hard to view through WHEN compared to the recognised birding/wild life binos of 8x32, 8x42, 10 x 40 and 10 x 50 versions. Look at Bushnell and that price range as starters. I cut my teeth on a pair of captured German WWII Zeiss military binos and have been with that brand ever since. Currently use the ultra bright and clear 8 x 42 FL Victory which may seem over the top price wise but you may not be a down and out bushwhacka like me and a cheaper brand in the same configuration would suffice. My Binos never leave me when I'm out there. In Addo for example I have them on my dashboard every week and use them to locate/track/interpret/identify a whole lot of stuff all the time...they are part of me and I wouldnt be without them

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 17  Next