Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:10 am 
wildtuinman wrote:
I dunno hey... I don't think that you should make an already bedonnerd snake even further demoeren by spraying it with something in the eyes. :twisted:

:hmz: Good point! :shock: :lol:

It just so sad to have to kill them, but often you really and honestly do not have a choice. :(
They are actually fascinating creatures and a BM sighting in Kruger (not on our stoep) is the ultimate for us. We actually had a very nice sighting last Monday on the S92 near Olifants….it was a big guy/girl….it went over the road and then for a few seconds raised itself up between the grass….quite amazing how they lift themselves up like that!

wildtuinman wrote:
Get yourself a pet honeybadger. :P

Think the SO will prefer to do the mamba with a BM than to constantly leopard crawl to avoid the pet Honey Badger. :lol:
I actually wonder if a Honey Badger will take on a full-grown BM? Anybody ever seen this or heard of it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:24 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
And a good point with regards to your SO! LMAO!

Honeybadger is a deadly snake killer (hulle skrik vir bôggerol). A Zambian lodge reported a badger with live 2.5m black mamba clutched in it's teeth. It then wandered off to go feast on the snake.

Badger killing black mamba have been observed quite a few times, I've heard. I've never seen it myself thou.

Some reports even mention badger being immune to the snake's venom, but I won't bet all my lunch box money on that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:08 pm 

I was also lucky(?) enough to see a black mamba on foot.

Was on a hunting farm in Thabazimbi area (not sure if they are common or rare in this part), for those that don't know, its in the northern province.

I went with a group for a hunt (i don't hunt, I just go with for the food, drink and sleeping under the stars). While they were off hunting, I would walk around our base camp, never more than a km away from the base (saw a crimson breasted shrike!), when a friend and I stopped dead in our tracks.
A 7/8 footer was gliding through the short grass along our would-be path.
About 10 meters away.
We didn't move, but luckily the snake didn't give us any attention and moved on through.

A bite from a BM in the middle of nowhere (didn't have cell phone), would not have ended pretty.

We turned around and had a breakfast beer to calm the nerves!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:09 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have only seen a BM once in the Park, close to Skukuza.
I was interested to read that it can "propel itself" off the ground.
This is exactly what this snake was doing.
It was so quick as it crossed the road that it seemed to be moving a couple of centimetres above the ground.
I have since seen many snakes cross the road, it is nothing like what I saw that day.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:26 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
BM is painless and you just need to be put on life support, that is if you can get to one in time.
:shock:

Breathing and circurlation starts to shut down, cramps, paralysis of the larynx, hyper ventilation, uncontrolled vomitting, suffocation....... relatively painless :twisted:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Nelspruit - The body of a young British man who was studying to become a game ranger near Hoedspruit and who would have celebrated his 29th birthday this week, was flown back to London on Tuesday after he died of a black-mamba bite.
Nathan Layton, 28, had not thought initially that the snake had managed to bite him.

According to a report in the British newspaper, The Times, staff were transferring the snake from one container to another so that students could examine it more easily.

Layton apparently had been waving his arms to encourage the snake to move faster when it bit him on the finger.

According to a statement from Bushwise, the snake bit Layton on March 4 at the South African Wildlife Campus where he was completing the Bushwise game-ranger training programme.

Bushwise personnel reacted immediately and called an ambulance when Nathan began showing symptoms of a snake bite.

"He was declared dead shortly after the ambulance arrived," according to a statement.

Bushwise said that no one, including Layton, had realised that he had been bitten.

I always thought you will know when a mamba bit you, that it would be like a gun shot - painful :shock: Now my respect for these creatures are even more.
Goodness me.. talk about handle with care.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:43 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can anyone maybe shed more light on the fact that you get bitten by a snake but you do not feel it. Taking into consideration that the fangs are basically a hypodermic needle penetrating your tissue, surely you should feel the slight sting when it enters your finger or tissue. Then also the fingers are supplied with a lot of nerve endings and sensory "bodies." I would also expect that one will feel a slight bump when the jaw bones of the snake hits the target.

I think that there are many unanswered questions here!!

Anyone with Black Mamba experience that can shed more light on to this, will be appreciated.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:02 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

It often happens that when a person get injured he / she does not initially feel it. It is a function of the human body and not particular to a snake bite.

As for snake bite, the bite itself is not that big an impact. As you mentioned, it is like needles. I have had injections that hurt, and I have had injections you could hardly feel.

I don't think one should make too much of it.
:wink:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Black Mamba venom is a neuro toxin and cardio toxin.
It could be that it deadens the nerve endings in the area once the venom enters the area.
That is my theory.
It attacks the cardio vascular system very quickly.
It can kill in as little as 15 minutes.
I should imagine that the cytotoxic venoms are the one's that are extremely painful as it kills the body's cells. Puffies would cause extremely painful bites due to the necrosis and due to the size of the fangs.

It is a very sad story about this young man.
Again, it illustrates how much respect and caution needs to be used when dealing with wild animals.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:08 pm 

Please can someone help with the ID of this snake seen in the South of Kruger in Feb this year.

ImageImage

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:51 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2013)
Is that not a Black Mamba?? Just looking at the pale underbody and the head, although I can't really see the mouth, looks as if it could belong to the BM.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:40 pm 

RosemaryH wrote:
Is that not a Black Mamba?? .

Yes, a young one, I'd say. Agama

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:41 pm 

Wow,
thanks for that Rosemary and Agama, never even crossed my mind that it could have been a Black Mamba.
Somehow thought they would be darker as was the huge adult one we saw a few years back.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:08 pm 

Pilane wrote:
@ Elsa Not a black mamba ... young mambas are spittiing images of their parents...

RosemaryH & Elsa. This is definitely a Black Mamba. I have seen many up close. They are more vividly coloured when young, especially after sloughing.

Needless to say, mambas should always be treated with respect, because it does not take much to provoke them to defend themselves.

Agama

Post subject: BLACK MAMBA
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:03 pm 

I saw black mamba crossing the road a few times when travelling in my vehicle in the Kruger.
I also like doing wilderness trails in the Kruger and luckily never encountered one on foot.
I believe that you may have a black mamba visiting you, when you smell curry when entering your hut.
And this is not a joke.
I would like to know more about the behaviour of these animals....
Are they afraid of humans?
When do you know it is ready to strike?
I heard that it will not go out of it's way for you - if you are in it's way, you will be bitten?
What do you do when facing a black mamba?
I also believe that the closer you come to a mamba, the higher it lift it's head from the ground - there were cases of people being bitten as high as their shoulders????
Can someone help?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next