Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Shipandane
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

You can hire bedding , in fact I was under the impression it was part of the deal , you get a refund at Mopanie upon return , which includes a water can , and electric lanterns and the keys .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject: shipandani overnight hide
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Ndloti & Webb

Thanx Ndloti for confirming the details with regard to bedding. However, you must have nerves of steel ... I am an ardent nature lover, but don't know whether I will have the guts staying alone in the hide. I have been there a few times during daylight on my own and looked at the security (animal intrusion) measures in place and only now, after your posting, I think that maybe I should try it on my own!

Webb. Have you made your booking yet!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wow, it looks stunning, Freda! :D

Post subject: Re: Shipandane
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ndloti wrote:
You can hire bedding , in fact I was under the impression it was part of the deal

I asked about it at last week and got the following reply from Mopani Camp:

the following is available against a deposit :

- Bedding X 6

- Gas lamp X 1

- Basic picnic basket with plastic crockery and cutlery

I will be staying at the hide on 10 May. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:07 pm 

Hi annalie

I haven't made my booking yet :( i have been a little slack, or rather a bit busy at work. But i am defiately going to stay there! i know, i know, i better get cracking with my booking before it's too late.

Post subject: Sable
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:30 pm 

We're staying at sable on the 24th

Post subject: Shipandane
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The availability on the web shows Shipandane is not available right through to September ( maybe even beyond then , I did not check beyond September .)
Is this a fault on the system or is it due to renovations ...?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 pm 

You will see one one of my earlier posts i had the same problem. i think there is something wrong with the site! Rather try and phone to make a booking!

Post subject: Shipandini Hide
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:51 pm 

Hi all

I have booked for an evening at Shipandini Hide in December but after reading some forum reports on the hide and the spotting there I'm having some serious doubts. I do realise that at that time of year it will be hot and infested with mosquito's.

Please can anyone tell me some more on their adventures at the hide especially some nice sighting's???

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The hide has a view over a small part of the dam , so game viewing is not expected to be good .
You will need plenty of mosquito repellant in summer (true for whole KNP) .
You will enjoy it if you enjoy the total peacefulness that conventional camps cant offer .
It is safe provided you adhere to basic precautions .

Post subject: Re: Shipandini Hide
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:18 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

The whole point regarding the hide is the peacefullness and the tranquility of knowing it's you and Kruger .. No neighbours (besides the resident hippo's) that come out grazing in the evening and the "thrill" of knowing the only thing between you and the wildlife is a wooden wall ...

Sightings can be the luck of the draw .. We only saw hippo's the evening .. but on our way to Shipandani we found a leopard.

So .. My advise is that your chances to see something spectacular is the same as in a camp .. but you will never get the same "experience" from the camps as you would from the hides.

Post subject: Re: Overnight Hides
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:28 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I spent last Saturday night alone at Shipandane , pure bliss , stayed up till 1 a.m .
Bush showered with the jerry can supplied on the concrete slab in the lapa on which one can make a fire .
Hippos were grunting out of the water at dusk , I now know they need not be in water to grunt .

Post subject: Re: Overnight stay in bird hides
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My sister and I stayed at Shipandani last September and I definitely recommend it.
We signed in at Mopani and were given a huge bag full of bedding etc.
The mattresses were delivered by a couple guys around 5.30PM, when all other visitors had to leave.
At 530, we were on our own.
We made up the beds, which pull down from the wall, then settled in to see what we could see and hear what we could hear. It was a priceless evening.
We had wine and cheese and crackers, and when it got too dark to see anything more, we moved to the fenced in yard, where there was a picnic table.
We sat there in the dark and could hear the hippos moving onto the land and grazing all about us.
Try as we could to peer through the wooden fence, we never did see them.
The moon was full and we sat in the dark listening to all the night calls with only a rickety stick fence between us the bush.

There is a bathroom attached, you have a grill and picnic table.
The inside of the hide is polished wood, and there are shutters that can be pulled up over the windows, but we left them open.
Very comfortable night, and the morning was ours to enjoy.
If you have the chance, I would take it.

Post subject: Re: Shipandani Overnight Hide
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Who has overnighted here lately , and any reports ?
If anyone has booked it for 5 Nov , I have Sable , would prefer Shipandane , I am not so keen on the lights at Sable .
Please pm me .

Post subject: Re: Shipandani Overnight Hide
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shipandani's summer mozzies have had me for a midnight snack before, had two differant repellant lotions on, ended up in nelspruit medi clinic :shock: with malaria again !
But it is a beautiful place.

Agree with Ndloti on Sable, with the lights, although had a leopard male walk past us , last time i slept there. :D
was sure i had seen otter one night, with night vision goggles , but could not confirm, only by the way it ran.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next