Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 62  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:18 pm 

Location: Addo - Southern Gate, where elephants left their footprint
Thank so much for this info Megan. It makes a visit to the park a lot more interesting. I must agree with Lirritma that the origonals of the thumbnails are a bit small. If they were bigger the space used would make downloading a lot slower.
Lirritma - if you save the pic to a file you can use you pic browser (Picviewer, ASeeDSee, Irfanview, etc) to enlarge and get more detail.
Thanks again Megan :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:43 pm 

Thanks for the info Megan...but it confirms what everybody suspects that the 4 big males seem to prefer the Lionesses other side of the fence on the Non normal tourist Gorah Concession area along the boundary of Scotia Safaris no wonder folk dont see them so often and my sightings have just been 95% luck...I cant tell you how many times I have calls on my cell from both Scotia and Gorah game drivers telling me that the males and now Ardlam and her two sub adults are on the concession most days..so there you are Gerrit take the wife for an expensive weekend to Gorah and sit on the stoep overlooking the dam and do what their guests did last week and not leave the lodge building one day on a game drive as they had all 4 males within sight of the verandah!!!!...They dont take Wild Cards...Dam!!!!

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:51 pm 

Apple wrote:
Still can't believe how you get up so close and by the sounds of thing every time you go to the park................
WOW :shock: :o :clap: :mrgreen:
Do you do the "yellow ribbon" thing so I can ID you when I am in the park??????????? or maybe just tell me what car you drive?

I wish!! If I went to Gorah camp every time then yes...Gerrit Gus normally publishes his findings at the end of his research so we can look forward to really interesting stuff in 5 years time...the stuff you see on the Net is snippets

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:59 pm 
Guru
Guru

Quote:
The originals of the thumbnails is still quite small and a bit difficult to read.

I made the decision to use this size because I don't want to overload the system with big files and have the wrath of the moderators upon me :shock: :lol:

The maps are meant to give a general idea and not specific points for people to track down on a visit to the Park!

Bear in mind that the distributions of lions will change over periods of time.

Current research is not published yet as it is not yet conclusive - results need to be collected over a period of time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:53 am 

While my favorite Lion is Nossob...its mainly because he is the one I generally see first of the older coalition pair and this is what it normally looks like coming around a corner and seeing them

However over time Bitterbal has been coming in closer and closer and although with those eyes I will never trust him I loved it when he came within a couple of feet the other day for his pic to be taken

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:43 pm 

I used to be a tourist guide and visited Addo at least once a week. Although I've been there hundreds of times I never get tired of it.
I did see the lions a couple of times in the park, but I have definitely seen them more from Schotia Game Reserve sitting by the fence checking out the female on the Schotia side. It is a pity that the public don't see the lions in Addo that often, but that will hopefully change with more time. It also helps to go at the right time as a lot of people drive through the park at the hottest time and that is only good to watch elephants.
On one of my last tours through the park I got to get a nice pic of two of the lions mating. I have the pic posted on my Flickr stream (see below) and will figure out how to post it on this site. I'm still new here so I haven't checked out how everything works.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:09 pm 

Thanks for the help gwendolen. I also need to thank you for leading me to the SANParks website and forum from the SANParks groups on Flickr. I hope I would be able to become a regular here and make some kind of useful contribution in the forums.

So here is the pic I took of the lions mating. Now I will leave it up to the Addo lion experts to identify them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:45 pm 

Firefly wrote:
I used to be a tourist guide and visited Addo at least once a week. Although I've been there hundreds of times I never get tired of it.

Hi, after spending many many hours at Addo all I can say is, what a privilege.
I reckon on any given day you will see more animal interaction at Addo in 10 minutes than what you will see at the Pilanesburg in 2 weeks.
The lions are just great bonus.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The female is Gina (orange collar) and I think the male is Bitterbal.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:34 am 

The male is Bitterbal but the female is Kamqua not Gina..Kamqua and Gina both have orange collars (I have Taken them off in Photo shop in my pics here ..1 has to be redone but the original shows Kamqua with her orange collar) Also the Lioness in Firefly's pic is battered etc around her neck...is squat and thickset wheras Gina is unmarked,clean tall and sleek . Firefly was this pic taken near Marion Barrie on Sat 16 Feb 2008 at about 07h00 ...if so you could have been one of the vehicles that pitched up 10 mins after I found them

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:10 pm 

No, I took this one on 7 October last year. It was my last trip through the park as a tour guide. The next day I started work at Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism. Now my job is to get people to come to Port Elizabeth and include the park in their itineraries.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:14 pm 

Was taken near Marion Brie though.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:51 pm 

We have been to Addo in July 2007 at the end, and on our last morning drive (from a very succesfull and great holiday) we met these two giants on the road. I was stunned by the beaty of em en it was one of the highlights of the trip!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:56 pm 

BasDutch wrote:
We have been to Addo in July 2007 at the end, and on our last morning drive (from a very succesfull and great holiday) we met these two giants on the road. I was stunned by the beaty of em en it was one of the highlights of the trip!

[img]...[/img]

Outstanding Pic Bas...that is Kalahari on the left and Tsama with his cut nose and it looks like they have just eaten 25 Warthogs with nice fat bellies like that..looks like Rooidam in the back...What lovely light.too Lucky you!!

Image removed from quote by restio

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:09 pm 

It was early in the morning, we just left the gate at 6 and at the intersection we only turned right and 5 others in front of us went straight towards Lendlovu Pan.
We met these guys at the road near the Gwarrie pan (just 200 meters away from the Hyena den) and they kept on walking towards us for abot 100 meters or so. Then they stood and listened for some and vanished in the thick bush. We where the only ones who saw them!

I was with my wife, and she managed to film these big boys, maybey i can upload some at youtube ;) I must say I was abit afraid to stop the car and let them walk passed us. They are SO big.

The day before we saw a female at the pointy enclosure , where the southern access road almost comes in touch of the fence. She was wounded at the left shoulder and was calling for her cubs who werent seen anywhere in 2 days (thats what ranger told us at the campsite). They thought one of the male lions had killed the cubs...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 62  Next