Find information and join us for the next forum meeting

Moderator: Crested Val

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Forum Olifants River Back-pack Trail

Unread postby G@mespotter » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:01 am

Hi all :D

I know of several previous 'attempts' to arrange this, but I am quite serious......I was thinking of a 'forum' Olifants River Back-pack Trail in April 2009 (yes, its quite loong into the future :wink: ). Just give me some time and I will get you guys the specific dates etc.This means I would like to know if any other formites would like this idea, and tell me here if they are interested....It would be awesome if we can get 8 people together where we surely know they love nature, the environment and the animals out there!!! Let me know....

Read about the trail here: Olifants Back-packing Trail or here Olifants River Hiking Brochure Find out about the price here Tarrifs. If I am not mistaken, the price works like this: R11 300 divided by the number of persons participating, with a maximum of 8. So the cheapest would be R11 300 / 8 = R1412, 50 per person!
Last edited by G@mespotter on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:43 am

Just checked the dates.....As per today, I would say the ideal dates are Wednesday 1 April 2009 starting and 4 April 2009 ending, but a possibility would also be Wednesday 8 April 2009 starting and Saturday 11 April 2009 ending....

I think April is a good month to go as the bush is still lush, daytempratures (normally) not that bad and night tempratures (along) the river not too cold......sounds perfect, isnt it :wink:
Last edited by G@mespotter on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:58 am

Update:

Starters:

1. G@mespotter
2. G@mespotter's sister
3. Ndloti
4.?
5.?
6.?
7.?
8.?

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Update:

'New list:

1. G@mespotter :D
2. G@mespotter's sister :D
3. Ndloti :D
4.(Scipio ?) :P
5.(Wildtuinman ?) :P
6.? :cry:
7.? :cry:
8.? :cry:

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi all :D :D

THE FIRST DAY! AND SUCH A RESPONSE!! :D

I am very happy to see that a lot of formites do like the idea and 'are convicing others (eg. SO's :P) or seriously thinking about it.....looks like it is popular!!

Now, all I want to say, no worries, because I can book in May 2008 on its earliest!

Have a good thought about it, and dont hesitate to pm me (again).

New list: (definately wanting to go)

1. G@mespotter
2. G@mespotter's sister
3. Ndloti

Possibility list: This list will mention all people interested up till now, and that will be possible/ are interested in joining:

1. Wildtuinman
2. Scipio
3. Bunnyhugger
4. Bunnyhugger's SO
5. Bucky

Dont hesitate too long, and pm me even if you are thinking about it. :dance:

Come on, you 'real' formites :P
Last edited by G@mespotter on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:50 pm

New update again (yes, this thing is rollin! 8) )

Some of the practial issues:

My aim is to get some sort of 'permanent list' before booking time. Actually, if possible at all, before the last week of April 2008. Ideally, if it is possible, I would like to have 2 or so person 'on the bench', so might any of us be hindered to participate, we have a backup plan...

So you all have 2 months or so to think, which I think is reasonable. When this list have been 'provisionally finalised' I had the idea of organising a meet, at some 'central' location for most of us!
At this meet I intended to discuss the practical stuff like paying a deposit, getting details, making further arrangements etc....

I'm a person of organising and planning, and the least I want to have a chaotic situation and some unhappy formites, so lets do this propper!! Looks like it gonna be a moerse fun thing, and the first of its sort!!!!

Please, do not hesitate to pm me, even if you only found out about this now!
Last edited by G@mespotter on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mgoddard » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi Monne

Since I will be in the Park, living out my dream, :D this would be a great break from the caravan life for a few days, and also interact with some ppl rather than being by myself.... Count me in! :) If it happens that you have too many interested, I could always be one of the benchsitters :cry:

BunnyHugger

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Ok Dudes. I'm in.

Will have to square it up with SO later, but I'm in.

I lost the dam thread so I just had to play a bit of catch up here.

I suggest we do this as a "Boys' Weekend / walk" thing.

I will probably get beaten and bashed about for making the decision without consulting SO, but I think we will all be safer (those of us who are married) if we keep it as a boy thing.

No confusion, supsicion or any other doubts about it. Being a walk, SO's will think we can't take loads of dop so will believe that it won't be a big drinking binge.

[size=12]

If the angels want to go along, they can arrange their own and we can "compete" for sightings.
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:07 pm

So heres a new update:

People definately wanting to go: (not necessarily included yet, its just an overview for now)

1. G@mespotter
2. G@mespotter's sister
3. Ndloti
4. Bunnyhugger
5. Mgoddard

People Im stiil waiting for confirmation.... :roll:

1. Wildtuinman
2. Scipio
3. Bucky
4. Bucky's brother (maybe)

Anyway, 'new volunteers' are still welcome to :lol: 'sing up' :lol: ...

Formites, al I want to say this: I didnt expect such a response...really thanks! :clap:

Lets just take it easy from here :wink:
Last edited by G@mespotter on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BunnyHugger

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:21 am

The comments I made yesterday about it being an all guy thing was not supposed to create mayhem or ill feeling so for any uncomfortable moments I may have caused, I will eat a big slice of humble pie and apologise profusely. :redface: (I just got completely carried away. (Note to self, before engaging mouth (keyboard), make sure brain is engaged.)

WTM. If you are along for the ride (walk), we will all need to be lifted out at the halfway point and I can just see this excursion as being a complete hoot. I for one would love to have you along for your experience. I'm not sure how I will cope with the raucus laughter that will no doubt follow in your wake. :lol:
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:01 pm

Aijajajajai.........Tsukundu!!

Welcome to THE WALK topic.......guys looks like we're going to have moerse problem :roll: .....

Im glad I'm having such a response...really :clap: . Now Tshukundu, I'm very glad that you want to participate with this walk! I cannot at this stage however guarantee a place :cry: As you can see, we have a few 'fence sitters'....(just used as a practical word, no offence :wink: )

Now the practical issues here...

I want to make/introduce a new rule here: because of the popularity of this idea, we will still work according to the list; however, in order to prevent misunderstandings, the due date for a decision will be set on 31 March. So, if we havent recieved a decision by the 'fencesitters' I will pm WTM, Scipio, Bucky and his brother aswell as Imberbe the last week of March....

After 31 March, we can make a list of who's going with....and all sorts of reasons can result in several cancellations, so Tshukundu, you (and SO) ARE on the (benchsitters :cry: ) list, and you WILL have a definate answer after 31 March :wink:

Thats all I can promise up till now! From an organisational point of view its exellent (sorry to say but it is :cry: ) to have some benchsitters....as a backup!

Anyway, you guys have discovered I cannot stand the :pray: :pray: guys....so dont abuse it :wink:

HEY, IT LOOKS LIKE ITS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!
Last edited by G@mespotter on Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:09 am

Hi Guys

I have not done the Olifants yet, but three of my friends have, some of them professional trails guides. They all say the same thing:

Firstly, it is a wonderful experience which everyone that is capable should experience.

Secondly, it is unlike any other hiking you have done before. It is not like the usual hiking trails, which follows a set trail. You basically follow the river, and depending on animal activity, rains, flooding etc. each route is different. You do not sleep at the same spot the previous trailists have slept. The terrain is rough, often sandy, wet, rocky, you go through dongas, bush etc. This simply means that walking is much more difficult. Don't under estimate the distance travelled each day!

The most important thing is your feet! You must have proper hiking boots, which is comfortable and which you have walked in before. This is no jog down the road!

Also carry a second pair of light footwear such as crocs to wear when camping. This gives your feet and boots time to rest.

Keep the weight you carry to a minimum. The guides will check your weight and will not allow you to carry more than a prescribed percentage of your body weight.
:wink:
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:45 am

Ok. I have some bad and good news...The bad news is that Tshukudu pm-ed me and told me that he and his wife most probably will be overseas next year April, and accordingly will not be able to do this fabulous exciting trip! :cry: Not sure if they are coming to the meet next week monday though....

The good news is I have found 2 substitutes for Thsukudu and his wife, REAL KNP fanatics :D I know them very well, the one is Jan, more or less 50, and the other is also a formite, pieter22, somewhere in his mid twenties :dance: Adds some extra humor to te groups demographics to :P

Dont think Jan will be attending the meet, not sure about pieter22, but will let you guys know :wink:

This is the update!! See you next week monday :wink:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:57 am

Thank you everyone for a lovely meeting last night :D

G@mespotter, this has all been your initiative and for that :clap: :clap: :clap:

Juanita, I am sure that we are going to walk many enjoyable miles together.

Pieter22, good to see the face to the new member, and I'm pleased that G@mespotter got you on board.

Ndloti, your experience is going to be much needed and believe me, I am already grateful.

BunnyHugger, your SO is delightful and charming, what are we going to do with you once you are let loose :?

Mgoddard, "the crazy lady", great to meet you and your family. :D I hope that all your preparations for your venture go well and that you have an absolutely stunning trip in the Park.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mgoddard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi All
Just a quick hello and thank you all for the meet, I really enjoyed meeting all of you.

As promised here are the 2 photo's, pity some eyes are closed, but then thats how it turned out.

Still running around, trying to get all finished before 4:00am tom morning.

Return to “Meets & Greets ”