Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:03 pm 

We stay at LS just for the deck. It must be one of the nicest spots (inside a camp) at which to sit and have sundowners or breakfast and watch the hippo's and birds. We always camp and if we there in the afternoon, we'll take a blanket and lie down under the trees by the river.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The restaurant is awesome, the whole place just has an amazing feel to it. There are so many lovely places to go to from there.

Another idea for LS is to find a baby sitter for your kids for a weekend and then take Pieter down for a nice romantic weekend staying in one of the safari tents (well worth paying the extra for one overlooking the river!).

I did that for Brendan's birthday last year, and surprised him with it - judging by his reaction I'd say it's probably the most successful birthday present I've ever given him :D .

Post subject: Sign at Sunset Dam
Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:19 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

There is a price difference between the 2. I modified Meg's map a little. The tents circled in red will have the best view. We stayed in the one circled in blue and accoring to the proce we payed it was also classified as a rivier view tent although the river was not that clearly visible from it.
{EDIT: the tent indicated by the arrow is right next to the walkway and the traffic on the walkway might not be to everyone liking}

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:33 am 

Having seen the tents and staying in one, I would say that any of the following will be the "better ones" to stay in.
22,21,20,18 and 17

We stayed in 13 and although you can see the river it is not as nice as being next to the fence. Their is a dead tree in front of no 13 where a pair of Pearl spotted owlets have a nest if you are interested in seeing them

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:22 am 

Hi Salva

We have often stayed at Lower Sabie, and always try to book a bungalow with river view. You are not too close to the river, but you have lawn and trees in front of you, and can hear the hippos in the river. These bungalows and in two's - i.e. 1 and 2 next to each other, then place for two cars to park then 3 and 4 - but there is a wall on the veranda separating the two bungalows so you don't really see who is next to you.

The small fridge is on the veranda and there is a table and two chairs and a tall built-in cupboard for your groceries, etc.

In the room itself are two single beds pushed together with a bed-side table on either side, a hand basin, built-in cupboard for your clothes and then a fairly spacious shower and toilet. The rooms have aircon, and the door is a stable door, so you can close the bottom half and have the top half open, and, of course, there is a screen door in front of the stable door. The room also has two windows.

There is a small wall along the front and half of the side opening of the veranda which gives you some privicy.

They have renovated some of these bungalows, but the main change is to the veranda - they have removed the small wall of the veranda and more or less built-in the fridge and there is a smaller storage cupboard for your groceries.

These bungalows either have a thatch or slate roof.

We have also once stayed in the huts, which have communal ablutions. There is just a basin in the room and the fridge is also in the room. You have a table and two chairs outside. These huts are okay if you are only there for a short stay, but the river view bungalows are definitely better for longer stays.

We will be trying out Moffett House in September!

Hope this helps.

Regards

Linda

The

Post subject: lower sabie tents
Unread postPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:25 pm 

Hi

We stayed in no 16 tent. It was fantastic!!!! We did see hyaenas close to the fence as well as an elephant grazing. We had spotlights thats why we could see him. The baboons do come to the tents while youre not there. No 16 has a bolt on the door so you can keep the animals out while you are in. We had no problem because we put the chairs against the fridge as double precuation and only had tinned food in the cupboard. You can hear the people in tent 17 but most people are very considerate so I didn't find it a problem. at all. I love Lower Sabie because of ots situation and I would recommend no 16 anytine as you do feel you are in the bush. I myself chose that number on the recommendation of someone from the forum thanks to him!!! Also Baboons/onkeys are a problem in all camps we have to be careful as they are quite aggressive

Nicki

Nicki

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:46 pm 

I love Lower Sabie Tented Camp because of that

and the view (tent 19)

we didn't sleep well because hippos 'shouted' all the night. And in the morning, a hyena visit in garbage bin :?

-------
Kruger 20-27 May 06

Last edited by alya000 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Lower Sabi Tents
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:33 pm 

A month ago my sister and I visited a friend who was staying in Tent No. 16 at Lower Sabie. She told us the night before they were just about to get ready for bed (around 8/9pm) when she heard this suttle tap-tap-tap coming up the wooden steps, then a large 'clank'. She peered through the broken mesh/door (damaged by the baboons) and found this large Hyaena eating out of their pot which was on the shelf right there in front of them. She says she reported this to the rangers who told her that this particular hyaena they've had problems with and have even driven him/her miles away from the camp only to find him coming back again and again. When asked how this hyaena gets into camp, she was told either by digging a hole under the fence or sometimes this sly one slips in by the gate. All the joys with living with the wild eh? I still love the park though. As a child I remember there being no electric fencing and the animals (especially hyaena) were regular visitors from 9pm into Skukuza camp. These are wild animals and we are still in their territory and must never forget that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:49 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Am I correct in saying that the camp sites at LS are demorcated and when you book in you are allocated a certain No and that is where you have to pitch your tent. If this is so can you pre book your site and which sites are the best ones.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:58 pm 

When we were there last year in July, we could pick our own site. I don't know if that has changed though.

What would you consider a good site? Near the ablutions or far from them? I'll see if I can find my campground map.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:01 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Gwen and Leslied.
To me far from Ablutions and Kitchens in the quiet section with big trees. I normally pitch near/on the fence line but I think there are no fence line camp sites in LS.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:07 pm 

There are only small trees there, we camped close to the ablution/kitchen and old entrance gate. Cannot complain about the site, but be careful for the thorns.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:14 pm 

Snoobab, I just checked the map I received from reception last year, it's the same one as the map online. It doesn't have any numbers on it. :(

Post subject: lower sabie camp
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:09 pm 

hi, can anyone tell me if i am staying at graskop the best gate to enter kruger and the easiest/best way to get to lower sabie camp...and if possible how long this will take? thanks very much

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next