Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Hey Bert & Cougar!
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:21 am 

Bert--is LS Lower Sabie?

Cougar--Yes, maybe we will see you! Would you tell us how much you rented a car for?

Thanks again!

Post subject: Re: Hey Bert & Cougar!
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:44 am 

jsmathematics wrote:
Bert--is LS Lower Sabie?

Cougar--Yes, maybe we will see you! Would you tell us how much you rented a car for?

Thanks again!

Hi JSmathematics.

Yes LS means Lower Sabie, one of the most lovely camps, you should really be there for 1 or 2 nights. I don't no how many days you will stay in Kruger but in 5-7 days you can have a good trip through a great part of the park. In the middle part of Kruger I would recomment Satara. It is a rather large camp but one of the best places (in mine opinion..) to see lion leopard and other big game. And a walking safari is a beautifull experience but it can bepend a little bit on the ranger.
A gew years ago we have done it from Satara and the ranger was very fond of small insects, spiders and plants.... and that was not what we were interested in, but if you can do a walking safari I should do it.
And you really don't need a 4x4. We allways travel by camper and in all the times we have been in Kruger we still haven't found a (dirt)road on which it was impossible for us.
Even in the smallest car you will have no problem att all.
We arrive august 29 for 4 weeks so maybe we see eachother.
Look in 'ACTIVITIES....!' and read the threat ' when will I see a yellow Ribbon' and you can see when other forum-users visit Kruger :!:
Have a great time in Kruger( but I think you will for sure!)

Ruud

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:49 am 

cougar wrote:
Welcome J & J. My wife and I will also be taking our first trip to KNP from Aug. 22-31. Maybe we will see you?

Hi Cougar,

I hope you will have a great time In Kruger.
We enter the park on august 29 so maybe. Maybe we will see you too. :thumbs_up:
(Just watch the yellow ribbons..)
Ruud

Post subject: Re: Hey Bert & Cougar!
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:57 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

ruud wrote:

Even in the smallest car you will have no problem att all.
We arrive august 29 for 4 weeks so maybe we see eachother.
Look in 'ACTIVITIES....!' and read the threat ' when will I see a yellow Ribbon' and you can see when other forum-users visit Kruger :!:
Have a great time in Kruger( but I think you will for sure!)

Ruud

Even in a Nissan Micra trying to do some photography :lol:

Post subject: Re: Thanks so much!
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:49 pm 

jsmathematics wrote:
Wow. OK, so we should book accommodation inside the park through SANParks for a week? Do you know what the math conference is about? We are both "math people," a math teacher & an educational math software person/math state test writer.

Thanks again,
Julie & Jason :-)

Hi Julie & Jason - here is the link for the The International Conference on Mathematics in Finance will be hosted jointly by North-West University, The University of Pretoria, The University of South Africa and The University of the Witwatersrand. The conference will take place at Berg-en-Dal in the Kruger National Park, South Africa from 7 to 12 August 2005.
I am not a maths person but my son is and he is going to this so I thought perhaps you, having a maths forum name and going to KNP in August, might be too. But a holiday is a break away from these sorts of things is it not? (some maths people can't live without doing some maths each day tho :wink: )

Have you read Best camp for first timers

You can make online reservations here.

Check accommodation availability here.

Post subject: Stops to or from?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:16 pm 

Thanks for all the tips again!

Ruud--Unfortunately we will be back at work by the 29th. We're jealous though--4 weeks???!!!

Any necessary stops we should allow time for in between the park & Johannesburg or in between the park & Maputo, Mozambique, or should we spend basically all of our time in the park?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Stops to or from?
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:17 pm 

jsmathematics wrote:
Thanks for all the tips again!

Ruud--Unfortunately we will be back at work by the 29th. We're jealous though--4 weeks???!!!

Any necessary stops we should allow time for in between the park & Johannesburg or in between the park & Maputo, Mozambique, or should we spend basically all of our time in the park?

Thanks

Hi,

Well, we really like to stay as long as possible in Kruger. We love the place. Although we have been there about 10 times it is always different. Mostly we stay 4 or 5 weeks.
But I don't know howmany days you can stay in SA. I should say; stay as long as you can but I can imagine that you also want to see something else of SA.
From Jo'burg it is about 5 hours to Malelanegate. Normally we start in Joburg with the camper and do some shopping in Nelspuit and after that we go directly to Kruger and stay there till the day we have to fly back again. I have never been to Maputo so I can't tell you anything about that. But it is not necessary to have a stop between Joburg and Kruger.

It is a pity you are back when we come... maybe next time..
I'm sure you like SA.

have a good trip, enjoy :!:
Ruud

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As a guide to car rental prices, I paid GBP 466 (around US$ 900) for 14 days rental of a compact automatic from Avis in April - this was a fully inclusive price, with a zero excess (deductible) on the insurance - booked direct with Avis.

I prefer automatics anyway, but find it much easier in the park as well, with constant stop-go driving and creeping forwards and backwards looking at sightings.

Post subject: Santa Cruz
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:48 am 

Acekam--Cool, thanks. Are you ever going to make it back to Santa Cruz again? We could tell you a few more places to go!

Post subject: Getting Around Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:57 am 

Hello! My wife and I are planning a trip to Kruger in August. All the travel groups are very very expensive. We were thinking of just reserving our own rooms in Kruger BUT we don't know how to get from campsite to campsite. Is this possible without renting a car?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any reasonably priced group that will get us around? R6000 is not reasonable to us!

Thank you!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:17 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Sean and welcome to the forums!!

KNP is really designed for self-drive and while most / all of the camps offer various game drives, you miss out on a lot if you restrict yourself to that. Also, I'm not sure how you would get to and between camps unless you were part of a tour.

What's your objection to hiring a car? I always use AuroEurope:

http://www.autoeurope.com

How many days were you planning for KNP? Remember that the park is a bit larger than Massachusetts, so there's a lot of territory to cover.

You'll find lots of helpful information if you have a look through the various forum threads and I'm sure you'll also get lots more replies once SA and Europe wake up.

I copied the following links from DB's post (apologies DB, I don't have a clue how to make these links myself :redface: :( ) in the "Is just showing up ..." thread (which you should read for more helpful hints):

Dinkybird wrote:
Have you read Best camp for first timers

You can make online reservations here.

Check accommodation availability here.

Keep asking questions and you'll find that this is a very very helpful bunch of enthusiasts.

cheers, arks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:54 am 

arks wrote:
Hi Sean and welcome to the forums!!

(apologies DB, I don't have a clue how to make these links myself :redface: :( ) in the "Is just showing up ..." thread (which you should read for more helpful hints):

Keep asking questions and you'll find that this is a very very helpful bunch of enthusiasts.
cheers, arks

No prob at all arks! :lol:

"very very helpful bunch of enthusiasts" - Nice way of putting it :lol:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Post subject: Re: Getting Around Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:05 am 

Sean wrote:
Hello! My wife and I are planning a trip to Kruger in August. All the travel groups are very very expensive. We were thinking of just reserving our own rooms in Kruger BUT we don't know how to get from campsite to campsite. Is this possible without renting a car?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any reasonably priced group that will get us around? R6000 is not reasonable to us!

Thank you!

Hi Sean

First of all, I think it is a good choice to go to SA and visit Kruger but as it is already said, without a car it will be a problem to visit Kruger. I don't know for howlong you will stay in SA but renting a small car doesn't need to be very expensive ( I believe it starts about 200-230R/per day, but don't shoot me if I'm wrong.. :wink: ) and then you can plan your own trip through the park...
The alternative is (maybe) to join a group of people who travel with a 'overland truck' but most of the time they are camping and you have to put up your tent by yourself and those kind of things....
There are severalt touroperators which offer all sorts of tours.

But whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time in SA and specially in Kruger.

Ruud.

Post subject: Re: Getting Around Kruger
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:17 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

ruud wrote:
I don't know for howlong you will stay in SA but renting a small car doesn't need to be very expensive ( I believe it starts about 200-230R/per day, but don't shoot me if I'm wrong.. ) and then you can plan your own trip through the park...

There is a discussion going on about car rental prices here. That may help....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Santa Cruz
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

jsmathematics wrote:
Acekam--Cool, thanks. Are you ever going to make it back to Santa Cruz again? We could tell you a few more places to go!

Would love to return, but no plans in the near future - loved driving around that part of the States and I'm sure you could show me the real beauty spots the tourists don't get to see. I have family in Frisco and LA, so Santa Cruz is a perfect stop in between - if I ever get over my Kruger addiction.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next