Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re the multiple plate car/mains charger...

Unfortunately I can't find a brand name on the charger itself but I bought it at a camera shop in Eastgate Shopping Centre in Bedfordview (15 mins drive from Joburg Airport). It has a switching mains adapter, suitable for voltages from 100-240v (it has a 2 pin plug) and a 12v cigarette adapter. It cost about R300 with extra plates at around R50. The first plate was supplied with the charger.

It's a natty bit of kit and works perfectly - I will never travel without it! When I only had the camcorder, I had a Hahnel charger, which also worked fine, but unfortunately, they didn't use interchangeable plates and therefore I would have had to carry the canon charger separately. This was a perfect solution to the problem.

Here's a different make on sale in the UK - cheaper, but I don't know if it will work on US mains voltage...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Great pix, Bosnimf!! What camera(s) and Lens(es) did you use?

I am ashamed to say, seeing that the rest of the bunch all have big cameras with hundreds of lenses. I only have a Minolta Dimage Z3, with 12x optical zoom. It works really well, is real easy to operate and are light and easy to carry around. Got great photo's last week in Kruger, without any fuss! Great little camera, I recommend it to any first time digital camera user.

As I (and others) have said before, it's not so much what you use as how you use it. The eye of the photographer matters as much (or even more) than the hardware. And being comfortable with your camera is very, very important, too. So please don't ever feel "ashamed". Fancy camera equipment is no guarantee of good pix. And making the most of simple equipment is, IMNSHO, definitely the mark of a fine photographer!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Apacer 40GB works like a dream. Since it has it's own battery that also supplies power to the 14-in-1 card reader it makes it versatile and can download my CF, my brother's Memstick and my Girlfriend's SD card all from the same piece of eqiupment right in the bush without an eskom plug in sight :)
Then when I get back to my laptop in the evenings, just plug in and download...[/i]

Last edited by NightOwl on Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I've been debating with myself if I should add this or not, but I think it could help. On Sunday I was taking pics and forgot to put fully charged batteries into the digital cam. As luck would have it an opportunity for a pic came along and I was stuck, until I remembered my cellphone, a NOKIA7610. I used it in bright light with an unmoving subject and came up with this gem:

I sharpened the image and slightly adjusted the colour with Photoshop, but don't underestimate your cellphone camera. In an emergency it might just do the trick.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:44 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Guinea Pig wrote:
I've been debating with myself if I should add this or not, but I think it could help. On Sunday I was taking pics and forgot to put fully charged batteries into the digital cam. As luck would have it an opportunity for a pic came along and I was stuck, until I remembered my cellphone, a NOKIA7610. I used it in bright light with an unmoving subject and came up with this gem:

LOL.
Chuck away all the expensive digitals and glass.

Post subject: Re: New camera
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:40 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Jock wrote:
I have just purchased a new camera. It is a Kodak EasyShare P850. It certainly is a huge improvement from my old digital camera which was pretty standard.

I read a few reviews on this camera and they were all very positive, pic quality is good and battery time apparently great,and lotsa features; think you gonna really enjoy the new toy :D

BTW I call all electronic gadgets my "toys" :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Thanks for posting your kit, TXD. Isn't this thread a helpful resource? I've learned (almost) everything I know about digital from the experts here and it's helped lots with my selection of cameras, as I'm a total digital newbie!! And even tho my kit isn't yet complete, I guess it's time for me to post it :redface:

I agree. It is a great resource. I will have to repost after I get my new set of goodies. It looks like you have things well covered with your kit. Great selections. I'm also looking for the right portable storage device so that I can download a 1G SD card and not have to buy several of them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

TXDrifter wrote:
I'm also looking for the right portable storage device so that I can download a 1G SD card and not have to buy several of them.

Probably a good idea to have more than one card, even if you have a portable hard drive for download. I recall one of our members (may have been simonb6) who found that while he could download one of his cards, he couldn't from the other, which is not something you want to find out when you're already in KNP :( Also helps to be able to test everything before your trip, but even so, surprises :x can happen, so it's best to be prepared with extra media and batteries.

I googled digital photo storage for starters and found that this was a good starting place, with lots of portable storage choices. :thumbs_up:

Some people favour taking a laptop with them, which seems just a bit OTT to me, plus I'm trying to keep the overall weight of my kit down. But I must admit that the very lightweight Sony Vaio is awfully tempting :wall: :tongue:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On second thought I guess not. :(

Jim Sturgis , mar 15, 2005; 02:41 a.m.
After hours of research I was sold on the PD7X after reading this thread . Then after a little more google work I found this: The US distributor homepage! Never heard such an admission from a distributor. Other pages praised the unit as the fastest available but I guess this says it all!
---from compactdrive.us --> IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ( March 2005 )

We are sorry to announce that we have discontinued the supply of Compact Drive PD7X. This is due to the fact that PD7X has high failure rate and thus we are unable to keep up good customer support on this product.

The manufacturer tried hard to turn PD7X into an ultra performance unit to suit most photographers. At the same time, however, they have given up or ignored many critical issues including the unit's reliability

The high failure rate of PD7X has made selling these units an unprofitable business. The built quality of the product is far worse than what they promised and is not even close to what a professional photographer needs. The most famous 'known issue' is the missing regulator. Although they were trying to explain how a decent hard drive can sustain the fluctuated voltage, they never made a statement against 'what if' something like this really happens. The fact is that they try not to carry any responsibility for photo lost, considering this has already happened to some users.

The whole unit is built cheaply. The 'dust cover' falls off frequently and the two pins that holds the cover is so fragile that they break all the time. Although this may not be a critical issue, it annoys both users and resellers so much that sellers have to replace the cover for users all the time.

Unfortunately the same problem exists on the other end of the unit - the battery compartment. Most likely the clips that hold the hinge will break within one year from day-to-day usage. Once they are broken, the whole unit becomes unusable since the batteries can not be attached properly. Therefore it is highly recommended that users DO NOT change the batteries at all. Thus PD7X's winning feature, which is the ability to change batteries, has faded out.

One other serious problem is the actual usable size of the hard drive is unpredictable. Although the software provided can format large drives (> 30 GB) to FAT32 with no error, not all space is actually usable. We have been reported that an 80 GB drive showed a 'No more space' error when only 4.5 GB of data was really stored on the drive. A few Mac users reported that the data became corrupted after the drive stores more than 30 GB of data. After reformatting the unit, the usable space became even less than 30 GB. Many evidence

As we have discontinued the Compact Drive business, all future enquiries and customer supports including warranty issue will be handled by 3HDigital (the manufacturer) and their Authorized International Representative: www.compactdrive.com . For more information please contact: sales@compactdrive.com

We apologize for any inconvenience this caused. Thank you for your support and wish you all the best in the future!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
arks wrote:

3 Sony mini DV tapes

Allready bought the tapes for next years trip :wink:

Based on what I shot last weekend at the wildlife center in Texas, I'm going to need a LOT more than 3 1-hour tapes for a month in KNP :lol: . I always suspected that once I actually owned a videocam, I'd tend to shoot lots and lots of video.

In Texas I didn't use my new 75-300mm still zoom on the 350D at all, but let my nephew shoot with it while I shot the video. The still pix with the new lens that he shot look great, but I'll still need to spend some time with it myself :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:36 am 

bert wrote:
Please do yourself a favour at take footage of the accom, the braai and other non-animals things. After some vintage years these are best parts to watch.

So true Bert. We tested out our new video camera on our recent visit to some reserves and as I'm "editing" the video now and it's nice to start of each camp with clips of the accommodation, and also include a section on interesting places visited such as cultural sites etc. I also realise that I did not take nearly enough footage of things like this. Looking at animal clips for 2 hours might get boring and you don not get the full effect of your visit.

So take so video footage of bird hides, shops, restaurants, viewing areas, camp layouts etc. Once editing on the computer you can arrange it in any sequences you feel like.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Interesting and excellent advice, Bert and Francois. I'd not have thought of it, but especially since most of those seeing my KNP videos will be people who have never been there, showing all aspects of the park is a great idea. I'm sure that's also the reason that this web site has been adding videos and more pix of the accomodation. It is all a part of the whole experience of the parks :D 8)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:55 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I get to add a new toy to my collection: Olympus SP500UZ, decided on a smaller camera that I can carry at all times :D , the huge LCD screen is awesome, can actually see if the photo's are in focus!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:48 am 

Jazil wrote:

Is that it bert?

Yes, thanks.
Great set to do most wildlife photography with :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

@ Jazil and Yvonne, how do you find the 70 - 300mm IS USM lens, .. Yvonne compared to your 100 - 400mm?, is that the 100 - 400 f4.5 -5.6 lens?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next