Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Goodevans Sightings : KNP Jun 2005
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:53 pm 

Hi,
I hope someone will help with my many questions! We(family of 4 with 2 teenagers 13 and 16) are heading to Pretoriuskop Rest Camp for a 4 day visit courtesy of the BBC (for a new travel programme showing ordinary families doing holidays they thought they couldn't!!).We have only just found out our destination and although we are "over the moon" we know next to nothing about Kruger Park and safaris!!
I've come across this site by searching the Web and hope your members will be kind and assist!
What will the weather be like? What clothing/hats will we need? Will mosquitoes be a problem? Will we need to bring mosquito nets or are they provided by the camp in the huts? Are stomach problems the norm/unavoidable? What is the food like in camp?Is it very dusty(contact lens wearer!)? What would you say is essential to take?
Any help and info would really be appreciated!
Many thanks
Jan(never thought we'd be on TV!!!!)

Post subject: BBC Trip to Kruger. It was FANTASTIC!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:13 pm 

Hi Guys,
A very big thank you to all for the really helpful advice I was given before our trip (in the advice forum). You were all right we loved it and want to go back!
It was a very busy few days and we packed in so much to such a short space of time (at one point we were up 36 hours with no sleep!).But it was well worth it and we feel really privileged to have been.
The country was beautiful and the animals fantastic.Rest camp was lovely,food brilliant and weather great! I hope what's shown on the BBC(Departure Lounge) this Friday 7.00 pm does it justice.
Took a couple of hundred photos of everything I could but unfortunately didn't get the chance to see any lions,leopards or buffalo. So will have to wait for next time !!
Thompson's guides were wonderful guys as were the film crew and it all made the filming aspect less daunting than it could have been(we were all very nervous). I don't think careers in TV beckon !!! They took over 16 hours of footage for what will probably be no more than a 15/20 min slot on the programme!!
It was so special and has left us all with lifelong memories and a strong desire to do it all again at a less frantic pace!
WONDERFUL ! WONDERFUL ! WONDERFUL ! What more can I say!!!!!!
Jan
x

Post subject: Re: BBC Trip to Kruger. It was FANTASTIC!!!!!
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

goodevans wrote:
It was so special and has left us all with lifelong memories and a strong desire to do it all again at a less frantic pace!
WONDERFUL ! WONDERFUL ! WONDERFUL ! What more can I say!!!!!!
Jan
x

I know what you mean. On this evenin i had two guests from another town. And all i can do is talk from this lovely places.

But i think they would go to for some time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:11 pm 

Disappointed with BBC!

We were up at the studio at Manchester Airport yesterday for some final filming and saw a preview of what will be shown tomorrow. We were NOT impressed ! All the lovely scenery shots along with accomodation,food and rest camp info had been cut out! Eight hours of spectacular filming in S Africa had been condensed into six minutes of so so footage with some of our comments taken out of context and slotted into weird places!! Embarrassingly the footage of us African dancing made it in and my husbands stomach will now be seen on national tv!!Now who they think will be interested in that I don't know!! I mustn't sound ungrateful but I thought we were supposed to be boosting interest in Safari hols to Africa and I don't think we did that at all.Our really positive comments explaining how wonderful and unique the experience was(and that you could not compare or judge it against Disney as they are two very different experiences)was cut out entirely. In fact it is made to look like we prefer the Kilimanjaro ride to the real thing!! I felt I had betrayed the wonderful South African people when I had to give a one word answer as to which I preferred -Disney or Africa- now how can you answer that!!! I had to say Disney but was not allowed to say why and all my previous explanations(i.e.Cost of 1week safari is equal to 3 weeks in Disney and that the Animal Kingdom is just one small part of it all) were just cut out.
People did not get to hear all our very positive stuff about Africa and that we will definitely go back.
The Animal kingdom Lodge Disney Hotel is actually spot on and carefully researched by Disney and we appreciate the care and attention to detail even more now we've seen the real McCoy!
If you like Animal Kingdom Park and the AK Lodge you would LOVE S Africa. The programme did not allow this to come across. All the really lovely people we met who were hoping to see the finished item will be so disappointed at how little of their marvellous places and the hospitality we received was shown.The standards were really impressive and we so much wanted this to come across.
We kept being told that Disney was all rides and characters and Hot dogs and chips(just not true!!) by various BBC people,who hadn't been of course! Very hard to convince them otherwise!
We had a marvellous few days but the TV world leaves me cold and I don't understand their angle!
We saw the rest of the show as well and I hate to say it but I didn't like the format and some of the items on it I felt were inane!! Not my type of show I'm afraid-not enough interesting holiday destination stuff/info for my liking.It will be interesting to see what others think.
Please dont think I am in anyway putting KNP down by choosing Disney like I said I wasn't given any choice or chance to say what i really felt! So frustrating !
We are not complete idiots believe me!
Jan x

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I watched the programme, Goodevans and thought something sounded a bit wrong after your report back here!

Don't be put off by the cost: I really believe that you can do a holiday in SA CONSIDERABLY cheaper than the £5000 mentioned on the programme, but you do have to look around for cheap air fares etc. Anyone on this forum will be able to give you their own money-saving tips for travel to SA and the KNP particularly.

I loved your husbands reaction to the bush braai. I take it that you did that from Pretoriuskop? If so, it was probably on the same rock (koppie) that my husband and I held our wedding reception. A very magical and lekker (did you hear that word while you were there??) place. That's why I giggled when I saw you lot on TV there. We were all speechless and open-mouthed too.

Your daughter looked particularly as though she'd caught the Africa bug: it's something in the eyes. :lol: I think you understand now why people say "Africa gets under your skin"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:15 am 

They certainly didn't give all the options for staying in Kruger and the comparisons were misleading, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and seeing your reactions to the various animals - which were exactly like everyone else's first visit.

Quote:
We are not complete idiots believe me!

You really didn't come across like that at all. I think it's a missed opportunity for the BBC and they are the ones who missed out.

It was good to put a face to the name. I hope you'll all become regulars on the forum, I'd love to hear more of your impressions and see some of the photos I noticed you all taking. Please stay in touch.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]